Ezen Baklattan

The CAYOM Film Festival: Volume II - The Festival's End

One day I may do another read of BiB and see if my opinion changes. Honestly, I didn't like the film, there's no reason that I have to like it.

You're allowed to not like something. But I thought the reasons you gave (just a by-the-numbers baseball movie, Martin Scorsese would never make a sports film) were lackluster and not with merit. If it didn't connect, it didn't connect, but just say that.

Today's going to be a fun day at the festival. We've got three new films, two of which were at least partially directed by avant garde master David Lynch, and Y7 jury member Numbers is presenting a special press conference with the following subject: "Why Expedecade Is Worse Than Hitler."

• Like 2

Last night's pub attraction, the Plot Device, was closed for obvious purposes. The hungover panelist just barfed on Benedict Cumberbatch's head while he was giving a press conference on the upcoming Spark 3. The panelist said it was "unintentional."

Speaking of the Spark 3 press conference, it was announced last night that the film is going to come out in Y10 and be the final film in the Spark series. Logan Cunningham, known for narrating the hit indie game Bastion, has also signed on for a role.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

Today's going to be a fun day at the festival. We've got three new films, two of which were at least partially directed by avant garde master David Lynch, and Y7 jury member Numbers is presenting a special press conference with the following subject: "Why Expedecade Is Worse Than Hitler."

@Numbers

Don't believe what the press releases tell you. The press conference has nothing to do with Expedecade and Hitler. #nomoredeadhorsebeatings

• Like 3

Im getting tired of those "Numbers hates Expedecade" jokes too. There's a million other things we can joke about in CAYOM.

RICZHANG LOVES MICHAEL HANEKE AND MERYL STREEP.

BLANKMENTS LOVES DAVID HENRIE.

GIVE ME YOUR LIKES.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

@Numbers

Don't believe what the press releases tell you. The press conference has nothing to do with Expedecade and Hitler. #nomoredeadhorsebeatings

You're right, we should move onto you hating LucIId. ;):P

During the day various panels held by different executives will be open to all festival guests.Alpha's Panel: Yes, I Read The Film!Spaghetti's Panel: 4 Years And I Still Don't Know HowBlankment's Panel: My Secret B-Movie ObsessionChD's Panel: A Whopping 3 Films On Next Year's Schedule!Riczhang's Panel: The Elderly Are The HottestHiccup's Panel: Someone At This Festival Is After Me

@Numbers

The real title of our press conference: "Debunking the 'Spark and Best Picture' Conspiracy Theory". The only subliminal messages we sneak into the Spark films is to persuade CJohn to give us the rights to Mass Effect and Fallout.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

During the day various panels held by different executives will be open to all festival guests.

Alpha's Panel: Yes, I Read The Film!

Spaghetti's Panel: 4 Years And I Still Don't Know How

Blankment's Panel: My Secret B-Movie Obsession

ChD's Panel: A Whopping 3 Films On Next Year's Schedule!

Riczhang's Panel: The Elderly Are The Hottest

Hiccup's Panel: Someone At This Festival Is After Me

Hmm... WHAT THE HECK IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

At least get your facts straight: I only have one movie that won't come out.

Chill... Just joking around.

Edited by ChD

The screening of The Giver has recently started, although one of the panelists, Alpha, the one who had been part of much controversy last night, is still hungover from its tumulous events, and will be absent from this screening.

And here they are!

Blank's Review

The Giver is a great book. Honestly, it's one of my favorite books of all time. However, when I saw David Lynch was directing, I got worried. I feared he would make for too many changes to the book, wishing to put in his creative vision. This would be fine for, say, a Brave New World adaptation, but Lynch's sensibilities do not go in line with my vision of The Giver. That said, Lynch gives a surprisingly faithful adaptation of the book... a little too faithful.

The acting in the film is fine along with all technical qualities. My issue is simply that it comes off as a version of The Giver you'd read on SparkNotes. I don't think anything was cut out of the book here, which should be a positive, but instead, it's not thanks to the short runtime. The film needed at least another half hour to the complete story justice, but I wouldn't have minded stuff being cut out of the film if Lynch wished to keep his runtime. All in all though, the film is enjoyable and a worthy adaptation. However, it could've taken advantage of the film medium a lot better.

8/10

Spaghetti's Review

Quid Pro Quo

This novel is pretty hard to mess up. Much like was the case with Y6's 451, as long as the filmmakers kept true to most of the book's spirit, it's going to be a great movie. This haunting dystopia tale of a world where everything is the same, and the boy who discovers a time when it was not, comes alive in this midpoint of the festival, and does it manage to have the same punch that its source of adaption had?

David Lynch is a great director for the job, even if it's not as mindbending as some of his more recent works. The dark style of The Giver really works well in his hands, and we're reminded just how much of a spectacular director this guy really is. There's already countless tech awards that this movie already has me thinking about for the Y8 Oscars. The performances are also quite strong, especially that of Jeff Bridges as the titular giver of memories to the young Jonas, who uncovers secrets about his society that no one else ever knew.

My one complaint is that the more sexual aspects of the novel are a bit awkwardly handled here, as are some minor issues involving the runtime. It would have felt a bit less crammed if it were 20-25min longer. Other than that, I've got nothing. Allow me to quote Numbers in his 451 review with slight paraphrasing for my final line in this review.: So yeah, Alpha didn't fuck it up. Job well fucking done. Any f--ups were pretty minor, here.

9/10

Average Rating:

85 (Universal Acclaim)