Ezen Baklattan

The CAYOM Film Festival: Volume II - The Festival's End

With each day in the festival, except for Friday there is a special set of after-dark screenings, a celebration of darker films throughout CAYOM, and two are presented each night at 11pm.

Tuesday: Rapture (Y1) and Extrasensory (Y7)

Wednesday: 451 (Y6) and Appian Way (Y2)

Thursday: Black As Night (Y3) and Celia, A Slave (Y5)

-------------------------

On the lighter side, at 11am, there are special family friendly screenings of much renowned family films in the CAYOM age, each at 11am.

Tuesday: Wings Of Icarus (Y1) and The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe (Y7)

Wednesday: To The Moon (Y6) and The Seafarer (Y2)

Thursday: Spark (Y4) and Shiverin' Gulch (Y5)

---------------------

Each of these screenings will feature interviews and discussions with the filmmakers.

• Like 6

@NikkiFinke

The projector operator accidentally switched Wings of Icarus' reel with Rapture's reel, which was supposed to be presented at the After-Dark mini-festival. Gratefully, none of the kids mind, and are cheering and wooting at the film. Kids these days...

Edited by Alpha

There's already a line forming for the screening of The Bronx Is Burning at 3:30pm. Leonardo DiCaprio said he would not come through is tears, as he fears that Martin Scorsese is abandoning him as his favorite actor.

• Like 3

There's already a line forming for the screening of The Bronx Is Burning at 3:30pm. Leonardo DiCaprio said he would not come through is tears, as he fears that Martin Scorsese is abandoning him as his favorite actor.

GIVE THAT MAN AN OSCAR ALREADY SO HE CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT.

Eyewitnesses have just spotted one of last year's panelists standing alone in a line to the theater where Michael Haneke's No Greater Glory will be shown on Thursday. Reporters got nothing out of him besides that he wants to see if Jeremy Irons makes an appearance.

• Like 3

Eyewitnesses have just spotted one of last year's panelists standing alone in a line to the theater where Michael Haneke's No Greater Glory will be shown on Thursday. Reporters got nothing out of him besides that he wants to see if Jeremy Irons makes an appearance.

This... This probably made my day.

• Like 1

After The Bronx Is Burning ended, all three panelists went to get something to drink at the local pub. They left their reviews, written out on paper, to be read by a spokesperson.

Alpha's Review

Insert Pop Culture Phrase Here

While I was watching this Martin Scorsese film, I pondered as to why Martin Scorsese directed this film. He’s not a very good choice, considering this is a baseball drama. Other than that, the film is full of both pros and cons. The pros; the acting from Stanley Tucci and Brendan Gleeson was good (Chiwetel Ejiofor was fine), and the technical elements (cinematography, film editing) are solid too. Onto the cons, the direction was not very good considering how Martin Scorsese is not the first pick for a baseball drama. Also, the script was not very good. Yes, the struggles of the 1977 Yankees baseball season seems like a good underdog story, but it’s not executed very well on paper. Instead, the film waves the green flag and yells “Go!” and does nothing but fly through the whole story. It’s feels too fast, and it feels too slow, leaving me uninterested with what it had to offer. The extra plot details don’t help either. A Wikipedia plot summary more than an actual film, The Bronx Is Burning provides good acting, but that doesn't save the film from it’s writing troubles.

C+

Blank's Review
I fear Numbers may have made a poor choice in sending this to us, or rather, to me. I'm not a sports fans, but of all sports I dislike, baseball comes in a close second (I loathe soccer.) Also, my family has given me a irrational dislike for the Yankees, so this film really shouldn't be for me. However, I must admit the pairing of Scorsese to the film had me intrigued. He is a genius director, and if he was to do a sports movie, I'd hope it'd be the best dang sports movie of all time. Besides, baseball's been proven to be a good sport for movies multiple times... I think I'm dragging on. 

Consider myself pleasantly surprised, even though I really shouldn't be. Numerator Films has given us yet another great film. Scorsese's direction is surprisingly winning and the three leads portrayed by Tucci, Ejiofor, and Affleck are fantastic nuanced performances. In particular, Ejiofor is a joy to watch. The script is slow but thrilling, despite the fact one could look it up on Wikipedia if they wish. After seeing this film though, they'd be happy they didn't. Great film.

9.5/10

Spaghetti's Review
There's Nothing Like a View From the Cheap Seats

Martin Scorsese is a brilliant director, creating several compelling narratives of crime, redemption, violence, and more within stories of the 20th century. His next film, The Bronx Is Burning, looks at a very intense time in Baseball history. While not like the many crime films that Scorcese has done, The Bronx Is Burning packs a powerful punch that proves to score the Numbers team a run at the game of film.

The baseball story here is extremely fascinating, and it comes off as more than just a typical story of baseball redemption. The darker undertones that the film take really set it apart from other sports movies, such as 42. The whole movie is incredibly fascinating to watch, and Scorsese's direction really brings the film to impressive heights. The prologue feels a bit out of place, however. If the film wanted to show how dark the crime was at New York City, it would have felt a bit more natural to show more of it than they did, albeit without going overboard.

Stanley Tucci and Chiwetel Ejiofor are the true guiding forces of the movie, even if the rest of the supporting cast also brings their A-game. Each of them gives a tour de force performance as the Yankee manager and new star player respectively. Jackson's story is not often one presented in film, and it's not like the stories of other African Americans in sports during the 20th century. It's a unique story that Scorsese pulls off with much grace and slick direction.

It's not a perfect movie, and even in the incredibly well-written script has a few pacing issues, but I can't find a whole lot to complain about here. It's an excellent movie that proves that Scorcese is as strong a director as he's often been, and it also features his consistent brilliant soundtrack. Regardless of whether or not you like baseball, it's definitely worth your time.

9/10

Average Score:

81: Universal Acclaim

Edited by Alpha