Ezen Baklattan

The CAYOM Film Festival: Volume II - The Festival's End

After some thought, I bumped my Bronx Is Burning grade to a 9.5/10. The opening scene I can see a bit more how it connects to the rest of the film.

You didn't have to do that. :)

I can see why it might not fit well with some people, because it's part of a major subplot I cut from the film. I kept it in as a jarring introduction into the world of 1970s NYC where in the mid-decade the city was heavily struggling on all fronts and the Yankees run that season sort of encapsulated the dynamics of the place.

• Like 1

I was a little confused about that scene when I read it, but after some thought, it made a bit more sense for me. I really liked it at the time, but that scene was one of the details holding it back from a higher grade for me. 

Oh, and also....

It's been a wonderful festival with CAYOM, and its second year was just as exciting as the first. There were several amazing films, panels, exhibits, press conferences, and more with this festival, and we hope that it's just as strong in its third year. The party is not over yet. Tonight is the closing night of the festival, and the celebration of film will conclude with Kenneth Branagh's latest epic, "The Concert's End," a story about the build-up in Europe to World War I. 

The screening for the Concert's End is starting in a few minutes. As a result of being the closing night of the festival, there is naturally a big crowd. Earlier in the day, there was a special discussion forum in a hotel ballroom where film enthusiasts discussed the actors in the film, barely managing to count all of them before the movie started.

Edited by Spaghetti

Yeah. There's a shit load of cast roles and probably at least that many in uncast roles. I'll probably cast some more of them in the future. (but it'll be a huge pain though)

• Like 1

What more can we say? It was a wonderful festival, and we look forward to more excitement at the Y9 festival. Here are the reviews for The Concert's End.

Blank's Review

I was really excited for this. After all, Arcturus Entertainment always does great productions with the Coen Broth- wait, this is Kenneth Branagh? What the heck? The Concert's End is best described as a history lesson. It can drag at points thanks to this, and it just felt incredibly long to me. However, Branagh proves once again he can direct a great film and this is a good addition to his filmography.

The acting is very well done, but it's impossible to pick a standout honestly. The film is very dialogue driven, but the dialogue is well-written so it's hard to complain. The film actually reminds me quite a bit of The Coming Storm and that's a good thing, even though it's not really my thing. Overall, The Concert's End is an excellent history lesson, and a good movie.

8.5/10

Spaghetti's Review

Play Us Off, Kenneth

Riczhang's new Oscar pusher has arrived, and it is glorious? The Concert's End focuses on a shuffle to nagivate complicated negotiations in Europe during the early 20th century, trying desperately to prevent a war from breaking out. Alas, these efforts prove to be in vain, and we leave the theater knowing that a gigantic battle is about to begin. (Hey, it's not a spoiler. It's history!) With director Kenneth Branagh at the wheel, this movie seems to be off to a very promising start.

Much of the movie is dialogue driven, as Michael Fassbender (who's amazing in this) deals with other politicians throughout Europe to work out anything that doesn't end up resulting in war. As a result, much of the film is dialogue driven. While it may not be friendly to audiences, especially those without much knowledge of European history in the 20th century, it makes for delicious cinema. These performances matched with these lines make for a match made in heaven. It kind of reminded me of Lincoln in its juicy political drama.

I admit that I couldn't keep track of every little detail that was going on here, but again, Branagh gives brilliant direction. His eye for spectacle and intensity shines brightly here, and its creative design looks just as great as did Alesia's. I could easily see nods for Director, Cinematography, Art Direction, Costume Design, and probably much more. (The composer for the film was not provided, however.) It's really a spectacular movie.

It's not going to be a huge movie that clicks with US audiences, but it's still a marvelous feature of intense discussion, brilliant film making, and even a warning about the dangers of failing to compromise. It's probably going to be one of my favorites of Y8.

9/10

Alpha's Review

Now Class, Please Turn Your Textbooks To Page 140.

The Concert’s End is basically the ideal history lesson about the tensions near the beginning of The Great War (or WWI), between Austria-Hungary, Serbia and Germany. Perhaps one of the best things about the film is the lavish designs of the sets, visual effects, and cinematography. It has perhaps the best technical elements of the year, so far. The acting from Michael Fassbender as Count Leopold von Berchtold is perhaps one of his best performances, and supporting roles by Ben Kingsley and Rupert Everett are great, too. Maybe the only problem was the random time jumps, like how the film jumps 6 years from 1908 to 1914, without any real buildup but “A war’s coming!” Other than that, this is a great film, with great performances and amazing technical elements.

A-

Average Rating:

89 (Universal Acclaim)

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

That's about what I expected. But, in regards to the time-jump thing, I personally think that the Balkan crisis is exactly like the July crisis except one time diplomacy succeeded and one time might is right succeeded. The idea was to show that WWI was a build-up of tensions over a long period of time and to show that history is essentially the same cycle over, and over, and over again with only slight variations that can cause huge problems. Also I see the Balkan crisis as a major point in history and as a very good representation of the causes. It's about greedy countries that want to expand and gain national prestige. It's also about military and flexing the military muscle, as evidence by the military deploying so quickly in the Balkan crisis. 

And oops, no composer. :lol: I'll have to fix that. 

Edited by riczhang

Tele sits in the airport lounge, staring at the list of delayed departures. His flight was one of those cancelled -- something to do with damage caused by nefarious Kryptonians. He's managed to reschedule another flight, but it won't be until tomorrow.(OOC: sorry guys, real-life ended up extending my evening way more than I expected. I'll make announcements about the winners tomorrow evening)
  • Like 1

His plane safely landed, Tele quickly makes his way to the auditorium. A hushed crowd waits for his announcement.Ladies and gentlemen, let me present the three finalists of the second annual CAYOM Film Festival. They are:THE BRONX IS BURNING, written by Brian Helgeland, directed by Martin Scorsese.Applause.CINEMA STUDIES, written and directed by Cameron Crowe.Applause.And THE CONCERT'S END, directed by Kenneth Branagh. Applause.
  • Like 3