#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

Okay, can anyone explain how this transpired. Never in a million years did a near 50M OD ever enter the conversation here. Just 3 days ago it seemed like everything was going against the movie:

- Tracking had revised drastically downward (from 125 to 90, and 130 to 87)

- Reviews came in really mixed

- "Superman Returns" being in people's memories itself should have hurt the opening day number

- It is Superman, everyone's least favorite hero (at least based on normal sentiment of Batman is better)

- Zack Snyder

- Another origin story of Superman, doesn't everyone already know it

And here we are, whatever it does the rest of the weekend, this will be an unbelievable start.

I always knew people would show up for this movie. I didn't think 130m weekend but I felt definitely close to 120m. 119,5 to be exact.

Superman is the oldest, most well known hero. The movie looks good from the trailers. People are gonna watch it regardless of what the critics say. 

• Like 1

So if the evenings shows will bump it closer to 55m then we're looking at a 45m Friday without midnights and Walmart. 

If Saturday stays flat, we're looking at a possible 120m OW+9m midnights+12m Walmart=141m. So to me 130m is locked even with a Saturday drop.

But with a Saturday increase we're looking at low 140s.  :D

Never said anything about the rest of the weekend, just that even hitting 50M (or close to it) on OD should just not have happened. It may fall off a cliff tomorrow and just barely pass 100M for all we know, but this start is inexplicable.

It's like Avengers. Nobody saw that OD coming either.

• Like 1

Okay, can anyone explain how this transpired. Never in a million years did a near 50M OD ever enter the conversation here. Just 3 days ago it seemed like everything was going against the movie:

- "Superman Returns" being in people's memories itself should have hurt the opening day number

- It is Superman, everyone's least favorite hero (at least based on normal sentiment of Batman is better)

- Zack Snyder

And here we are, whatever it does the rest of the weekend, this will be an unbelievable start.

Posted Image

• Like 1

The tracking companies I think lost their minds because they got too caught up in the mixed critic reviews, same with some posters.

I thought it had to do with over-predicting Hangover 3 and AE.

- Zack Snyder

Lol. A few days ago while everyone was getting depressed over RT scores. I had posted that i was still of the the belief that this will still do IM1 numbers domestically. Based on the description of epic action scenes, I believed this was gonna pull a Transformers and I said this would do very well in Asia (at the very least S.E. Asia) as well as Latin America. It'll probably do ~600M OS because of that.

I thought it had to do with over-predicting Hangover 3 and AE.

Either way, tracking is all over the place, and generally a lot less reliable than it used to be.

Gauging general audience anticipation through different metrics is a lot more accurate.

Just came from the movie.

Well....again I left disappointed. This time even worse than SR.

What happened? How could Snyder messed up this movie so badly?

Damn, everything was there. He just mixed the wrong ingredients in the wrong places...lol

C+ for me.

I might go see it again. 

I won't be surprised if it does have bad WOM. 

There was some claps at the end.

• Like 2

Damn, everything was there. He just mixed the wrong ingredients in the wrong places...lol

C+ for me.

I might go see it again. 

Wow. That's horrible you left feeling that way. You were one of the ones really excited for this movie.

C+ for me.

I might go see it again. 

Doubt WOM will be Bad.

• Like 3