Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

I only watched three movies from Studio Ghibli: Ponyo (shit and shite), Spireted Away (average) and HMC (the best one but not quite great). Studio Ghibli is severly overrated.

• Like 1

I only watched three movies from Studio Ghibli: Ponyo (shit and shite), Spireted Away (average) and HMC (the best one but not quite great). Studio Ghibli is severly overrated.

Maybe your too old and jaded to be pulled in.What are your examples of great animated movies?

I only watched three movies from Studio Ghibli: Ponyo (shit and shite harsh!), Spireted Away (average what?!) and HMC (the best one but not quite great oh you!). Studio Ghibli is severly overrated.

In its best moments, Ghibli could give lessons even to Pixar ( coming from a Pixar admirer).

• Like 1

It was last thing he shared with his late son so he watched it obsessively over and over.They implied he memorized the entire dialogue.

Yeah...true, i remember now.

But choosing Shrek over any other animated character?

You can see how Legend was written-directed in the aftermath of Shrek2 megasuccess.

Shrek was really the IT-Girl of animation.

You must be this site's Armond White :lol: ... can you explain how Despicable Me is better than all of Pixar's films?

It's more enjoyable and it's not the same story as every single Pixar film.  Pixar is too preachy and too obnoxious imo.  DM is fun and has much better characters than most Pixar films. 

No no no, that's not what I mean. You always word your posts it a way it seems to stir the pot on purpose...you don't say hey I don't like animated movie so Pixar ain't my cup of tea...you go shit shit double shit you people are sheep and blind and Pixar eats babies and rapes your mom.

Do I have to state that it's my opinion every time?  Since I'm the one writing it, obviously it is my opinion and no one elses.

Megamind was way better than Despicable Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJJjcrwXQE

SO GOOD. I understand them not making a sequel, but Monsters vs. Aliens got a TV show and MegaMind doesn't? Ridiculous

• Like 1

I have gathered a selection of 13 essential movies that for some reason I haven't seen yet. In a week I have watched them all. 

The Prestige

Akira

The Man Who Wasn't There

Volver

Scarface

Leon

Do the Right Thing

A Clockwork Orange

The Rock

Gosford Park 

Glengarry Glen Ross

A Single Man

Dead Man's Shoes

• Like 2

There have been some impressive Westerns over the past decade...

- The Proposition (Australian Western)

- Rango (Meta-Movie Animated Western)

- The Good, The Bad, The Weird (Kimchi Western)

- No Country For Old Men (Modern Existential Western)

- History Of Violence (Modern Jungian Western)

- Serenity (Space Western)

I'd hoped Lone Ranger would the deliver the brand of bizarro fun Kim Jee-woon so effortlessly rendered through The Good, The Bad, The Weird. That flick's entertaining as hell. Ironically, while I admired the effort and many, many aspects in both of them, I didn't much care for either True Grit or Django. I recommend them both to any true cinema fan but not nearly as highly as any of the westerns or takes on the western genre I listed above.

You're forgetting perhaps the two best westerns of the last 20 years, Tombstone and Unforgiven.

• Like 1

I have gathered a selection of 13 essential movies that for some reason I haven't seen yet. In a week I have watched them all. The PrestigeAkiraThe Man Who Wasn't ThereVolverScarfaceLeonDo the Right ThingA Clockwork OrangeThe RockGosford Park Glengarry Glen RossA Single ManDead Man's Shoes

I wouldn't call the prestige essential.

Most of Disney's post-Lion King, pre-Meet the Robinsons animated films (except Hunchback, Hercules, and Stitch) don't appeal to me - it was really a dark age for Disney animation IMO, since Rescuers 1, Pooh, Aristocats, Fox and the Hound, Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver & Company all had that Disney charm still - some of them were pretty bleak though :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6e3gosGmY

(You just can't forget the genius that is TENG!! :P )

• Like 1

Now what film this year could become a cult hit? (Which quite a few were bombs and not liked at the time of release, like Rocky Horror!)

Let's see, Hansel and Gretel! The Call! Dark Skies! (Just naming a few possible ones :P)

The Call will become a cult hit. Definitely

• Like 1

How to train Your Dragon is the best Pixar film since Wall-e.

And you know it.

How to Train Your Dragon is about the only animated film that I absolutely loved since the classic Disney films.

• Like 1

It's more enjoyable and it's not the same story as every single Pixar film.  Pixar is too preachy and too obnoxious imo.  DM is fun and has much better characters than most Pixar films. 

Just curious, what's your opinion on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? It's very much not a Pixar movie, but it's definitely my favorite non-Pixar/Disney CGI movie.