#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

WB aren't going to let it finish with less than 300. At this point in release, SR was at 175 with lower dailies - WB dragged it to 200, with higher dailies than SR, it should be easier to get this to 300, especially if IMAX theaters start programming MoS again for 2 shows a day following PRs OW.

yeah but I don't see how they can do it

You can't force people into liking a given premise, no matter how brilliant your trailers or marketing are.

People like shape shifting robots, Jaegers & Kayus, not so much.

People seemed interested in Green Lantern and Watchmen, even though those are concepts that would seem too far out for audiences, and very fanboy appealing.

Marketing IS a factor, not just the premise itself.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

LOL @ fanboy melodrama. PR flopping won't stop studios from making movies like this (aka "original" properties that look 100% like 20+ franchises currently getting 3d,4th,etc sequel).  It won't close the door for GdT's next big budget endeavor. That's not how the system works. Contrary to popular belief, flops are tolerated even few back to back, becauwse studios can aford them cause something else will cover up and turn in profit for both. Plus, we all know that merchandise is the real money-maker now.

LOL @ fanboy melodrama. PR flopping won't stop studios from making movies like this (aka "original" properties that look 100% like 20+ franchises currently getting 3d,4th,etc sequel).  It won't close the door for GdT's next big budget endeavor. That's not how the system works. Contrary to popular belief, flops are tolerated even few back to back, becauwse studios can aford them cause something else will cover up and turn in profit for both. Plus, we all know that merchandise is the real money-maker now.

flops are tolerated for proven directors but not really for a director trying it out for the first time

• Like 1

flops are tolerated for proven directors but not really for a director trying it out for the first time.

Which isn't the case with Del Toro (Blade II, Hellboy Movies).

flops are tolerated for proven directors but not really for a director trying it out for the first time

Yeah M. Night's career would've been doomed years ago without the success of Sixth Sense and Signs.

Not saying Del Toro's is doomed but he won't get as many big budget experiments in the near future.

So MoS is headed to about 290M Domestically and 670M WW.Good start I guess. Expectations went high after OW. Currently the highest grossing Film WW after IM3 this year.

Nope, F&F 6 has made more WW, and there is a 0% chance of MOS catching it.

MOS is currently 3rd, and by the end of the year, it should at least be passed by DM2, Hobbit 2, Catching Fire, and Thor 2, and possibly a surprise or two.

• Like 1

You can't force people into liking a given premise, no matter how brilliant your trailers or marketing are.

People like shape shifting robots, Jaegers & Kayus, not so much.

Yes you can. Monsters vs robots isn't un-famailar concept that isn't liked. Where marketing went wrong is that they tried to sell it as Transformers with monsters. So not something that is different and thus worth seeing. Battleship made the same mistake of going with "mee to" strategy that linked the movie to TF too much. "Me too" doesn't make people go "well, this is worth forking out almost $20 CND to see in UltrAVX or IMAX".

STiD had the same problem. They pretty much cut trailers that looked like the first movie all over again (revenge!) but with few more explosions. Again, not enough to put more butts into seats.

OTOH, TGG with its balsy modern songs + period drama based on a classic created "wow, this is different!" chatter and boxoffice soared. MoS also had great marketing that promised better movie than what we got (it's downfall was movie itself, once the WOM spread). WWZ capitalized on Pitt + epic-scale zombies (literally scaling the wall), another never-seen-before thing since A Listers don't populate zombie movies.

PR missed the hook and this isn't a hindsight attempt to sound smart. Many people who supported the movie didn't dig the marketing from the get-go.

I think switching dates would of made little to know difference. July 12th is a good date....for a film like PR to make 35 million OW on that date is pretty bad. In fact its horrible....but I'm glad we got this movie anyway.

since PR would have flopped no matter what you might as well have given MOS the successful mid July release date 

Nope, F&F 6 has made more WW, and there is a 0% chance of MOS catching it.

MOS is currently 3rd, and by the end of the year, it should at least be passed by DM2, Hobbit 2, Catching Fire, and Thor 2, and possibly a surprise or two.

+ MU, + Smurfs

Elysium has Matt Damon starring and marketed from the director of D9 so that can help it. 

I agree with you. 

And that's another thing i didn't get from PR from the start. Why WB would spend almost $200M on an original film with a director that never crossed the 100M mark? Ok, Del Toro is great, so they bet on him. Risky, but i understand.But why would they cast only no names!? No star, at least a B list star..... no, they go with nada, zero, nothing.

None of those warrant another 150-200 m budget.

No but they were still movies that were given wide release and expected to make decent bucks.

If Pacific Rim had sold as many as ticket as Blade II did on it’s opening weekend, then I think Legendary Pictures would be feeling fine.

I agree with you. 

And that's another thing i didn't get from PR from the start. Why WB would spend almost $200M on an original film with a director that never crossed the 100M mark? Ok, Del Toro is great, so they bet on him. Risky, but i understand.But why would they cast only no names!? No star, at least a B list star..... no, they go with nada, zero, nothing.

Warner Brothers didn’t spent shit on Pacific Rim (25% of the budget was from them). PR was a Legendary Pictures production; Warner Brothers was mostly just assigned to market it.