#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

Dude district 9 and super 8 both had a budget between 30-50 million. PR has a budget of 200 million. Those movies doubled their production budget, this doesn't look like it will even reach a 3rd of its production budget. That makes it a flop. Stop comparing to low budget movies with similar openings

It won't reach a 3rd? That would be less than 2x multiplier. Also OS numbers should compensate some. Of course it isn't going to be much of a success but it may at least put itself out of flop territory with OS numbers. Domestically should do well enough to aid with that.

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 1

If Pacific Rim does 400m WW the studio won't be disappointed. They have expectations in check and new it was a hard sell. In the long run they will make some money after theatrical release.

Ill defend it not flopping hard...but they won't make money at 400m...so yeah, they'd be disappointed at that level. Studios like making profit.

It won't reach a 3rd? That would be less than 2x multiplier. Also OS numbers should compensate some. Of course it isn't going to be much of a success but it may at least put itself out of flop territory with OS numbers. Domestically should do well enough to aid with that.

2x multiplier would make it 80 mill, not yet3x would make it 120 mill, not yet4x would make it 160 mill, still no5x would make it 200 millYou think with a cinemascore of A-, RT of 72 it will have a wom greater than avengers and reach 200 mill?Add on top the collapse OS of allMarkets non asian.Remember more then 50% of movie revenue does not go to studio Edited by Hasan Ahmad

They will from Blu-ray, TV rights and all that Jazz.

Yeah...do t hold your breath on that. I've seen 170m budgeted films make 400m worldwide at the box office (with better domestic to foreign ratios) and...well, that film wasnt profitable. And I mean after video, TV, and such...and video numbers are only getting worse. And I speak of long term numbers, like...forecasts way into the future.Movies are expensive.Granted if it hits 400m...it'll be close...henceforth...no flop hard. Edited by kowhite

Give me Guillermo del Toro over Bay every day (I love love love the Hellboy movies and Pan's Labyrinth)....but the public does not agree with me.

agreed . bay movies are crap. he has failed film-making 101. he makes video games not movies.

Edited by Halba

google combined budget

Edited by Halba

2x multiplier would make it 80 mill, not yet3x would make it 120 mill, not yet4x would make it 160 mill, still no5x would make it 200 millYou think with a cinemascore of A-, RT of 72 it will have a wom greater than avengers and reach 200 mill?Add on top the collapse OS of allMarkets non asian.Remember more then 50% of movie revenue does not go to studio

Of course 'not yet' the movie just opened. And reach 200m? It doesn't need to come close to that to avoid being a flop. I see 120 domestically right now.

And what collapse OS, it just opened. Asian markets are big enough (along with the 100+ domestically to put it at an okay WW). Around 400m+ WW. Nothing spectacular but I don't consider that an outright flop.

• Like 1

Of course 'not yet' the movie just opened. And reach 200m? It doesn't need to come close to that to avoid being a flop. I see 120 domestically right now.

And what collapse OS, it just opened. Asian markets are big enough (along with the 100+ domestically to put it at an okay WW). Around 400m+ WW. Nothing spectacular but I don't consider that an outright flop

why are you so sure of 300m OS number. where did u get that figure from. Usually if it does 100m DOM, it will only do 220 OS.

Film has flopped on latest figures from UK and Australia, key english speaking markets.

Really non-english speaking markets are not that profitable, with China the top contributor only giving 25% profit .

Also advertising spend. We know they spent a lot on advertising .$100m is conservative, as disney paid $175m for lone ranger adverts. It could be $125m for pacific rim for all we know. especially in the days leading up to it.

I would say its a significant flop.

Edited by Halba

why are you so sure of 300m OS number. where did u get that figure from. Usually if it does 100m DOM, it will only do 220 OS.

Film has flopped on latest figures from UK and Australia, key english speaking markets.

Really non-english speaking markets are not that profitable, with China the top contributor only giving 25% profit .

Also advertising spend. We know they spent a lot on advertising .$100m is conservative, as disney paid $175m for lone ranger adverts. It could be $125m for pacific rim for all we know. especially in the days leading up to it.

Why are you so sure of 220? Really anything can happen. I'm not saying 300m is guaranteed. That is a prediction assuming strength in Asia. Also I'm predicting 280m OS not 300m.

• Like 1

Look I'm not even saying the movie will be much of a success. But in the long run could avoid any significant distinction as flop. But we'll wait and see what happens. It could go either way.

Edited by StarSaber

Just came back from watching this and WOW. People on here have a habit of over hyping movies they get to see before release. The movie flat out sucked. It had one good action scene in Hong Kong but everything else was just terrible acting, too much cheese and a storyline just like every other monster film. This isn't getting great WOM, this is getting mixed WOM at best.

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2