baumer

Blue Jasmine (2013)

34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

There's a scene with her just talking to two kids that had me rolling. You may even like how nuts she is in this movie. 

I saw her on stage in Uncle Vanya two years ago, and I think she's one of the best actresses working in the industry today. 

I'm totally seeing it when we get it in TO.

I've no doubt she's greta on the stage cause stage and hammy acting go hand in hand. She should be perfect for it.

Just keep her away from sowrds and St Crispian Day speeches. RH and Elizabeth Golden Age were horrible performances.

Edited by fishnets

Blanchett is the epitome of boring virtuoso acting, overrated by the picky cinephile crowd who strongly believes she is the second coming.

She  is spectacular ( like a piano concertist) but I have a hard time connecting with her characters ... all I see is hammy acting.

Edited by The Futurist

Blanchett is the epitome of boring virtuoso acting, overrated by the picky cinephile crowd who strongly believes she is the second coming.

She  is spectacular ( like a piano concertist) but I have a hard time connecting with her characters ... all I see is hammy acting.

Same. I cna't connect because hammy acting is so viisble. She never becomes a character.

Absolutely loved this. Fun, never a dull moment, characters you care for. Cate was her usual hammy self but that works here because she plays a phony and her comedic timing is great. She should definitely do more comedy. I was surprised how much I liked the character and was rooting for her to do well. She's a phony,alright, but not a bitch nor even mean-spirited. I liked the mix of caricaturish fakeness and genuine, child-like naivette. So when Oggie, the ex brother in law, is about to blow her cover one has to go "Please no!" because she really didn't deserve it.

Supporting cast is terrific and Sally Hawkins shoulders just as much as Cate does. I'd say she has a great chance of getting a supporting nod. Cate is done deal (the Oscar clip most likely going to be the restaurant scene with the boys or the talking to herself at the very end) but I don't think she is unbeatable. Yes, the role is baity as hell and has several big scenes (including above mentioned ones) but AMPAS has just awarded a comedic performance which they don't do so often. We'll see. 

if you take me out, the averige age of the audience was 73. I'm not kidding. And they didn't laugh as much as I did so I assume they were all rich phonies who couldn't laugh at something so close to home. Idiots. The movie is really funny, not a dull moment, not an extanous scene, just really really great. I think that younger generations would enjoy it.

• Like 4

I grew up with Allen's films, and this is a return to form for him, in my opinion at least. Sure, Midnight in Paris was pretty good but this is just absolutely brilliant. I can't think of any American director who can pull off a tragi-comedy better than Allen, and Blanchett is pretty much a revelation here. Before Midnight was my #1 of the year just a couple weeks ago, but it looks like its reign has already ended for me.

I was the youngest person in my theater by at least 30 years, and I went to a sold-out screening in NYC. 

95% full in downtown San Diego and I felt like a fish out of water as well. There was one guy on my left who looked college-age, but aside from that, EVERYONE was over 50.

She's totally adorable here. A nut but a really sweet one. You want to hug her and protect her from the world. The highest compliment I could give is that the character isn't supposed to be likabe and endearing but it ends up being. You really feel for her.

I felt like a fish out of water too which is really appropriate for a movie about a fish out of water. Allen scores points for not having an obligatory fish scene where fish bumbles around the kitchen burning toast and eggs while trying to make a breakfast for the first time in her life.

Edited by fishnets

Loved it. Allen's best film in decades, and that includes MiP, which I enjoyed a lot. Blanchett is STAGGERINGLY good; I have a hard time believing anyone's going to top her this year. Sally Hawkins is nothing to sneeze at either; hopefully Cate doesn't overshadow her completely. Darkly humorous and incredibly entertaining. Only flaws are some minor implausibilities, especially toward the end.

A-, 8.5/10

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been brought up, but this definitely reminded me of a modern take on A Streetcar Named Desire. That's one of my favorite old movies, and likewise I loved the hell out of this. Allen's screenwriting abilities were in absolute peak form here, and Blanchett is nearly as mesmerizing as a modern day Blanche as Vivien Leigh was back in the day. The last scene with her babbling nonsensically to herself made me think the Best Actress race may already be over. At any rate she should pose as some stiff competition come Oscar season. Really glad to see Allen take on something with a little more edge and emotional depth too, and succeed so well. Even more so than Midnight in Paris I think this is a true return to form for him, and one of the best films of the year so far maybe second only to Before Midnight.

A

Edited by MovieMan89

Count me in as another lavishing praise on Blanchett. By far the most impressive performance she has given in her career. Backing her up is a strongly written riches-to-rags story and a number of good supporting players.

My one problem with the film is the ending. Maybe it's just that I sympathized with Jasmine so much, but I was a bit let down that the film ends with her talking to herself again (and her sister back with her asshole boyfriend). I was hoping for a happier resolution, I won't deny it. I guess that's the dumb LCD moviegoer in me talking.

A

Edited by tribefan695

I think the film positions Jasmine as someone who could've had happiness if she was honest with Peter Sarsgaard about her condition and history, and that her spiral back down was brought upon by herself, just like it was when she called the FBI on her husband. Jasmine can reimagine herself as much as she wants but as Dice tells her some people can't put the past behind them. 

• Like 1

I think the film positions Jasmine as someone who could've had happiness if she was honest with Peter Sarsgaard about her condition and history, and that her spiral back down was brought upon by herself, just like it was when she called the FBI on her husband. Jasmine can reimagine herself as much as she wants but as Dice tells her some people can't put the past behind them. 

Yeah I don't think a "happy ending" so to speak would have suited the character or script. It would have felt forced to me and would have detracted from the believability of Jasmine's character that Blanchett spent the whole movie expertly crafting.

Yeah I don't think a "happy ending" so to speak would have suited the character or script. It would have felt forced to me and would have detracted from the believability of Jasmine's character that Blanchett spent the whole movie expertly crafting.

Yeah, I guess. Maybe it's just I feel like the storyline with her and the Sarsgaard character was left incomplete. Normally what happened with them would occur at the 3/4 point in a film rather than near the end. It seemed like he was still open to talking to her if she wanted to.

Edited by tribefan695