baumer

Blue Jasmine (2013)

34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Woody's return to form! So much drama in this. Non-stop dialogue. Expecting Cate Blanchett to get a nomination, and probably original screenplay as well, though I don't really know the competition this year. It's too cold for me to like it more than Midnight in Paris, but it definitely is great. Fine music as usual, and some great shots.

Cate Blanchett tops anything she's done in the past with her portrait of a fallen woman who's a hoot, a horror, a heartbreaker and a wonder. The mystery of the movie as a whole is that it depicts a bleak world of pervasive rapacity, deceit and self-delusion, yet keeps us rapt with delight.

what "a hoot" means ?

"A horror" ?

Blue Jasmine is so relentlessly clueless about the ways real human beings live, and so eager to make the same points about human nature that Allen has made dozens of times before, that it seems like a movie beamed from another planet.

Village Voice

Perfect sum up of pretentious Woody Allen and his continously clueless nonsenses over decades.

Blanchett is everything you've heard- her character is funny, elegant, disturbed, unsettling, and out of control, and she plays the hell out of it. Jasmine is the movie and the reason it should be watched. The rest is familar Woody Allen but strong nonetheless.

• Like 2

Blanchett is funny???? That alone deserves Oscar attention cause she was never funny (intentionally) in anything ever.

There's a scene with her just talking to two kids that had me rolling. You may even like how nuts she is in this movie. 

I saw her on stage in Uncle Vanya two years ago, and I think she's one of the best actresses working in the industry today. 

• Like 2