Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films of All Time 2013: THE RESULTS (final list in OP)

12 Angry Men is great; glad it's there

WTF?? Ric, if there was any Pixar movie I'd think you'd love, it'd be this one. I mean, it screams "RICZHANG'S FAVORITE PIXAR MOVIE." How can you not like it?

My favourite is the Toy Story and Wall-E. Those are actually the only ones that I've liked. 

Ok, very mixed about the last few films.

Disliked: Gladiator  

:puke: Liked, but nowhere near top 100: 

Life of Pi Full Metal Jacket The Big LebowskiIndiana Jones and the Last Crusade The Usual SuspectsStar Trek (probably not even top 1000) Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black PearlHalloween Beauty and the Beast Citizen KaneSaving Private RyanThe Wizard of OzMonty Python and the Holy Grail The Truman ShowMemento Return of the JediThe Avengers (What the fuck?) Die HardThe Lord of the Rings: The Two TowersJust outside top 100: Planet of the Apes The Terminator North by Northwest The Dark Knight Rises AladdinSe7enFinding NemoBatman BeginsSpider-Man 2Apocalypse Now Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb The Good, the Bad and the UglyToy Story 3Lawrence of ArabiaIn top 100: Almost Famous Blade Runner Do the Right Thing Kill Bill Vol. 1Toy Story 2Inglorious Basterds L.A. Confidential RatatouilleFargoThe Incredibles AlienTaxi Driver (Just missed top 50) In top 50: Requiem For a Dream (#46)Sunset Blvd. (#21)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 (#23) Children of Men (#16)Trainspotting (#5) No Country for Old Men (#45) The Silence of the Lambs (#48)Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#1)   :angry: American Beauty (#2) :angry: Psycho (#4)Pan's Labyrinth (#22)One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#38) Chinatown (#32) The Shining (#40) A Clockwork Orange (#29)Spirited Away (#39)Aliens (#18) (YAY!)There Will Be Blood (#14)Toy Story (#30)The Social Network (#3) (Was actually kind of hoping this would be number one. Fuck.) Haven't seen: All Quiet on the Western Front Once Upon a time in the West Heat 

NetworkCity of God   :ph34r: (Please don't judge me) It's A Wonderful Life (I know, I know) 12 Angry Men (... Oops) 

Always thought Aliens was better than Alien. Not thanks to its action (although it doesn't hurt at all), but the beautifully developed motherhood motif throughout the whole film along with Ripley's character development and Cameron's direction and storytelling, for me, definitely push it above Alien which isn't much more than a well-paced, tense monster movie in space with a lot of sexual imagery and one-dimensional characters. I mean, it's a damn well done monster movie in space, but I just find Aliens to be a richer and more rewarding movie.

Oh, and TSN ain't going away. Damn right it isn't.

Always thought Aliens was better than Alien. Not thanks to its action (although it doesn't hurt at all), but the beautifully developed motherhood motif throughout the whole film along with Ripley's character development and Cameron's direction and storytelling, for me, definitely push it above Alien which isn't much more than a well-paced, tense monster movie in space with a lot of sexual imagery and one-dimensional characters. I mean, it's a damn well done monster movie in space, but I just find Aliens to be a richer and more rewarding movie.

Oh, and TSN ain't going away. Damn right it isn't.

The thing that made the characters in Alien so good was that it felt like a secret camera was recording them most of the time, making it feel extremely realistic.  The fact that there wasn't even a main character half way through greatly added to the tension when shit started going south, its a masterpiece of suspense and tension.  The characters in Aliens are very good, but they felt more like carefully written movie characters.

• Like 1

27. Jurassic Park

LYR: 38

Steven Spielberg, 1993

Nominated for and won 3 Oscars

75 points

"We spared no expense."

Synopsis: During a preview tour, a theme park suffers a major power breakdown that allows its cloned dinosaur exhibits to run amok.

Trivia: Years after this film wrapped, it was discovered due to fossil impressions of velociraptor skin that they were feathered, implying that Grant was indeed right that they evolved into birds.

26. Titanic

LYR: 5

James Cameron, 1997

Nominated for 13 Oscars, won 11

76 points

"I'm the king of the world!"

Synopsis: 
A seventeen-year-old aristocrat, expecting to be married to a rich claimant by her mother, falls in love with a kind but poor artist aboard the luxurious, ill-fated R.M.S. Titanic.

Trivia: Most of the decor on the ship was either reconstructed by or under the supervision of researchers of the White Star Line, the original company which constructed and furnished the Titanic.

My favourite is the Toy Story and Wall-E. Those are actually the only ones that I've liked. 

But what makes Ratatouille garbage? I'm honestly curious, since it's Pixar's most adult film, and definitely my favorite original Pixar film. Our tastes don't align obviously, but Ratatouille was one I was sure you'd love.

• Like 1

I find the opposite. Aliens characters were one delusional. 

Well Ripley wasn't, which is what really matters. The rest might have been one-dimensional, but they at least had memorable personalities. In Alien, I only remember Ripley because she survived till the end, John Hurt because of The Scene, Tom Skerritt only because of his beard, Yaphet Kotto only because he was the only black man and Veronica Cartwright only because she was the only other woman besides Ripley. Ironically, Ian Holm's evil android might have had the most personality out of them all. Most of the others were practically non-entities as far as character development was concerned.

• Like 1