rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

Alright guys as usual I will be watching a good majority of first episodes before I settle on the shows I will be watching this season, its early and only about a third of the stuff has aired but here are two recommendations.

78745.jpg79410.jpg

On the left is probably the most touted release of the season being described as the possibly the next big battle shounen (like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece). Its about a world where most of the population has developed super powers. Obviously some abuse these powers so we have new heroes which step in to save the day. Our main hero has no power but still wants to be a hero, you see where this is going. Solid debut episode worth checking out if you like the described shows.

On the right is a much more interesting find because no-one expected it to be good, went under the radar. But boy oh boy the first two-part episode was great (hour long debut). This is the fantasy version of Edge of Tomorrow, yeah that Tom Cruise flick. An average shut-in finds himself in a fantasy world unknown to him why he has teleported there. There is nothing remarkable about him except when he dies time is reset. Best debut of the season so far.

• Like 1

Due to school and extra-curricular activities (honestly, what was I thinking trying to take on four activities?) I haven't gotten much time to watch any of the new releases. HOWEVER, spring break is here and I'm binge-watching everything from Fairy Tail to the last episodes of Erased: I covered the entire spectrum of anime genres, LOL! :D

- Erased, 4/5 

- Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, 3.5/5

- Fairy Tail Zero, 3/5

- KonoSuba, 4/5

What are other titles I should watch?  After finishing Erased and Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, I'm looking for a comedy with adventure... those two shows depleted me of any sense of emotion... honestly, the amount of thought and emotion the two shows draw out of its viewers is insane!  That's what I call great story-telling! :D 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

19 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Alright guys as usual I will be watching a good majority of first episodes before I settle on the shows I will be watching this season, its early and only about a third of the stuff has aired but here are two recommendations.

78745.jpg79410.jpg

On the left is probably the most touted release of the season being described as the possibly the next big battle shounen (like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece). Its about a world where most of the population has developed super powers. Obviously some abuse these powers so we have new heroes which step in to save the day. Our main hero has no power but still wants to be a hero, you see where this is going. Solid debut episode worth checking out if you like the described shows.

On the right is a much more interesting find because no-one expected it to be good, went under the radar. But boy oh boy the first two-part episode was great (hour long debut). This is the fantasy version of Edge of Tomorrow, yeah that Tom Cruise flick. An average shut-in finds himself in a fantasy world unknown to him why he has teleported there. There is nothing remarkable about him except when he dies time is reset. Best debut of the season so far.

The one on the right sounded compelling until I saw the overly exaggerated female body proportions... I love a great anime regardless of whether they key in on female anatomy too much or not but... it's become a staple that is getting IMMENSELY vexing QUICKLY.  Of course, this is anime, you can't expect to not get at least one busty woman but it's become such a norm... it drives me insane!  I feel like the only gag/comic relief anime does now is directly or in-directly related to a harem or whatever.  I could go on an endless diatribe but I won't... LOL.  But honestly, it's so annoying.  At first it was funny then I started watching more anime and it became less funny to the point where I wanted to punch the screen. 

8 hours ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

The one on the right sounded compelling until I saw the overly exaggerated female body proportions... I love a great anime regardless of whether they key in on female anatomy too much or not but... it's become a staple that is getting IMMENSELY vexing QUICKLY.  Of course, this is anime, you can't expect to not get at least one busty woman but it's become such a norm... it drives me insane!  I feel like the only gag/comic relief anime does now is directly or in-directly related to a harem or whatever.  I could go on an endless diatribe but I won't... LOL.  But honestly, it's so annoying.  At first it was funny then I started watching more anime and it became less funny to the point where I wanted to punch the screen. 

I get what you mean sometimes when I see this my reaction is just :stop:

Funny you should use Re:Zero as an example since both its main characters are essentially flat chested!

Edited by eXtacy

Here are the anime I've watched from the Spring season:

KOUTETSUJOU NO KABANERI: One of the most thrilling and compelling debuts of the season, if you're a hardcore Attack on Titan or The Walking Dead fan, this anime will certainly satiate your thirst.  Be warned however, much of the cliches and tropes present in the aforementioned shows' storytelling and character weaving seems to be present within this particular show as well.  However, if you're looking for an entertaining, fairly mature, and gory show to binge upon, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is the show for you.

- 4/5

RE:ZERO KARA HAJIMERU ISEKAI SEIKATSU: Not one of the best debuts of the season but the best debut of the season thus far in my opinion.  The premise is indulging and interesting and offers an unusual way of delving into the RPG genre.  However, make sure to watch Episode 0 lest you be hella confused when you watch Episode 1.  This anime offers a No Game no Life, Grimgar, Kono Suba, etc... vibe but reveals a much more promising story-telling and potential.  If you think the RPG genre has now become the dead-beat horse, make sure to watch this anime to revitalize your ebbing faith.

- 4.5/5

~ My Hero Academia: If you like Naruto or shoujo anime in general, you'll probably like this one as well.  However, I personally find it boring and non-inventive.  However, it seems to be very popular right now so its one of those anime that will surely break out.  

- 2/5

Leftover:

~ Kono Suba: brilliant anime and with season 2 currently in production, I cannot wait to watch the team again.  One of the most comical and entertaining adaptations of the Winter season.

- 4.5/5

• Like 2

Alright here's what made the cut based on the first episodes. While I put them in order I liked all of them.

Essentials

1. Re:Zero - Starting a Life in Another World

2. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

------------------------------------------

Great Starts

3. Joker Game

4. Bungo Stray Dogs

5. Flying Witch

Promising

6. My Hero Academy

7. Kizniaver

8. And you thought there is never a girl online?

9. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto

Passable

10. Mayoiga

11. Twin Star Exorcists

What a start to the season. A lot of potential here. All of these I will be giving a four-episode test so comeback in a months time for updated impressions. There are still two anime left to air in Magi: Sinbad (this will be good) and Big Order (not sure)

Re:Zero is likely going to be best of the season as it had a extremely strong debut and is going to be a full 25 episode series, the people who have read the source material say it only gets better and better. Iron Fortress though seems like a pretty dope version of Attack on Titan however I heard it might only be 12 episodes. Joker Game is the mature anime for older audiences to dive into. Flying Witch was relaxing slice of life with supernatural themes, interested to see where it goes. For those looking for some comedy  Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto should provide. And there's much more so I am pretty happy!

• Like 2

On 4/10/2016 at 3:08 AM, eXtacy said:

Alright here's what made the cut based on the first episodes. While I put them in order I liked all of them.

Essentials

1. Re:Zero - Starting a Life in Another World

2. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Great Starts

3. Joker Game

4. Bungo Stray Dogs

5. Flying Witch

Promising

6. My Hero Academy

7. Kizniaver

8. And you thought there is never a girl online?

9. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto

Passable

10. Mayoiga

11. Twin Star Exorcists

What a start to the season. A lot of potential here. All of these I will be giving a four-episode test so comeback in a months time for updated impressions. There are still two anime left to air in Magi: Sinbad (this will be good) and Big Order (not sure)

Re:Zero is likely going to be best of the season as it had a extremely strong debut and is going to be a full 25 episode series, the people who have read the source material say it only gets better and better. Iron Fortress though seems like a pretty dope version of Attack on Titan however I heard it might only be 12 episodes. Joker Game is the mature anime for older audiences to dive into. Flying Witch was relaxing slice of life with supernatural themes, interested to see where it goes. For those looking for some comedy  Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto should provide. And there's much more so I am pretty happy!

I cannot wait for Big Order!  The premise sounds very intriguing. 

On 16/04/2016 at 6:38 AM, CelestialFairyIX said:

I cannot wait for Big Order!  The premise sounds very intriguing. 

Its was a decent first episode for the most part. I found the ending minutes when we see his power a bit of cringe fest. Very similar to Mirai Nikki, which is no coincidence since its created by the same person

I've been absent a long time from the anime communities so I've missed what was released in like... the past year or so. Anything good? Any worthy dramas like 5cm per second or AnoHana? How about some action animes like Attack on Titan? Any good comedies?

3 hours ago, ChD said:

I've been absent a long time from the anime communities so I've missed what was released in like... the past year or so. Anything good? Any worthy dramas like 5cm per second or AnoHana? How about some action animes like Attack on Titan? Any good comedies?

I highly recommend you to watch Shokugeki No Soma. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChD said:

Best anime since start of 2015

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=2&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=2015&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=f&gx=0&o=3&w=1

Dramas - Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Death Parade

Comedies - One Punch Man (also action), Kono Subarashii, Shokugeki no Soma

Action - Ajin, Arslan Senki, Gate

As for currently airing anime Re:Zero, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (def for you AoT fans), Boku no Hero Academia are the ones to look out for.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

Seasonal update. A month into the season and here are the standouts worth watching

1. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

2. Re:Zero

3. Adventures of Sinbad

4. Flying Witch

5. My Hero Academy

Spoiler

(best girl, Freyja from Macross Delta)

tumblr_o6jabuN3no1r4vymlo1_500.gif

(best boy, Sinbad)

tumblr_o5ys1iAgUu1tiivhqo1_r1_540.gif

Edited by eXtacy

Don't know if anyone other than @SchumacherFTW lives in/near London, but the BFI are doing an anime film weekend on June 3rd-5th. Among the films being screened are The Boy and the Beast, When Marnie was There, Ghost in the Shell (the original and the newest movie) and the Psycho-Pass movie.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-10/tickets-on-sale-for-bfi-southbank-anime-screenings/.101963

I'm going on the 4th/5th, since I've already seen Empire of Corpses (it was awful) and I don't have enough interest in Harmony to go in just for it.

Edited by rukaio101