CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Riddick - 18.6M | The Butler - 8.9M | We're the Millers - 7.9M

Still it's stupid to greenlit a sequel to a movie before its release, especially one based off a book that isn't super popular (like MI). 

Hell they even compared it to Resident Evil when talking about why they greenlit a sequel. Idiots! 

City of Ashes will be lucky to open in the top 5 at the box office. 

Too be fair-look at how just about every other book to movie like that has had a sequel greenlighted before hand (Okay LOTR/Narnia are unfair to compare as they have been around forever and in LOTR's case it was already filmed back to back)

You know-I am reminded of how Indian in the Cupboard was a huge bomb despite the fact it was based off of a huge YA novel series.

Too be fair-look at how just about every other book to movie like that has had a sequel greenlighted before hand (Okay LOTR/Narnia are unfair to compare as they have been around forever and in LOTR's case it was already filmed back to back)

You know-I am reminded of how Indian in the Cupboard was a huge bomb despite the fact it was based off of a huge YA novel series.

Indian in the Cupboard books were popular, but not super popular

And greenlighting a sequel to an untested property is always a risky move, unless it already has a huge built in audience like the Hunger Games. 

The first was successful, so I guess CBS films figured that the sequel would also. 

They thought wrong. 

It apparently only cost $5m and made $15m which while not good will mean a DTV sequel. Horror films are profitable as they cost little to make, The Conjuring was probably the most expensive horror film released so far and that only cost $20m and has made almost $200m WW. 

The Step Up Movies are fairly big overseas to my surprise. 

Yeah I know-but you think it be more limited in the US, oh well.

There are other cases I was thinking of, but not sure if I want to get into any more right now. :lol:

It apparently only cost $5m and made $15m which while not good will mean a DTV sequel. Horror films are profitable as they cost little to make, The Conjuring was probably the most expensive horror film released so far and that only cost $20m and has made almost $200m WW. 

True, but the Last Exorcism 2 pretty much screamed straight to DVD sequel.  

And of course tons of people were saying that they were surprise that Step Up 4 was released wide in the US. (That is true that it was odd it was)

The Step Up films are profitable hence why a fifth film coming next year. Step Up 4 made $140m on a $33m budget, 

• Like 1

Yeah I know-but you think it be more limited in the US, oh well.

There are other cases I was thinking of, but not sure if I want to get into any more right now. :lol:

Honestly I can’t think of any to be honest, sequels to movies that were sequels already that got limited releases, because the film prior did poorly, most of them tend to not be released overseas. 

Honestly I can’t think of any to be honest, sequels to movies that were sequels already that got limited releases, because the film prior did poorly, most of them tend to not be released overseas. 

Well some animated DTV films do get released OS theatrically.

Well some animated DTV films do get released OS theatrically.

The Tinkerbell films get limited OS theatrical release but get no marketing, I guess for Disney they must make money or they would just release them DTV.

I was surprised two years ago when Johnny English Reborn got US release as the first film was not a hit there but obviously a huge hit OS. Same with Mr Bean and Nanny McPhee.

Edited by Jonwo

Step Up 5 seems like it's in development hell. No cast or crew has been announced. 

I imagine the Step Up films dont take long to make so they could start shooting say October or November and get the film edited by ready by summer.

The Tinkerbell films get limited OS theatrical release but get no marketing, I guess for Disney they must make money or they would just release them DTV.

I was surprised two years ago when Johnny English Reborn got US release as the first film was not a hit there but obviously a huge hit OS. Same with Mr Bean and Nanny McPhee.

Bean: The Movie and Nanny McPhee actually didn't do bad business in the U.S. 

• Like 1