AdamKendall

Weekend #s Insidious 2 41.5M, Family 14.5 Riddick 7.0 Butler 5.5

I think her promoting of the film has something to do with it but not as much as people think.  She also did the same promotion for The Beloved and that tanked as badly as Mortal Instrument is now.

I personally think it's a combination of an all star cast, a relevant subject and good promotion.

Posted Image

• Like 2

I think her promoting of the film has something to do with it but not as much as people think.  She also did the same promotion for The Beloved and that tanked as badly as Mortal Instrument is now.

I personally think it's a combination of an all star cast, a relevant subject and good promotion.

I don't even think it's necessarily relevant, but it's a feel-good story and people like to think about how much progress has been made with race relations (whether it's true or not or more mixed is really beside the point). "Yay us" is never a bad idea for a mass-marketed movie.

• Founder / Operator

I'd probably argue the title controversy was just as, if not more, responsible than Oprah's marketing power. But it's really a combination of all of the above, followed by the film's inherently great word of mouth.

• Like 2

Not to get all film-snob bitchy (but I will :P).... all that proves is that it's a crowd-pleaser. Doesn't have anything to do with quality. :D

Fair enough.  I knew someone would call me on this, but I decided not to edit the post.  I meant that it has resonated with an audience which is proven by its multiplier.   :P

• Like 1

I'm sure BJ is a good movie but unlike the last few Woody films, this one has done nothing to peak my interest.  

Did you see the last one he made, To Rome with Love? BJ is much much better. I saw it two times.

Edited by Jack Nevada