#ED

Weekend Estimates: Gravity - 55.5M; CWACM - $21.5M ;RR - 7.6M;

You mean like all those other times where they gave BP to an action/thriller (big hit or otherwise)?

Gravity is different though. The reception is just once in a generation level, and the box office could be a phenomenon as well. If that happens how can they treat it like just some other action/thriller hit?

I seriously wouldn't count 300m out if this nears 60m for OW. 5x multi is in the cards, imo.

I don't think I am going out on a limb by saying that this movie will not get a 5X multiplier. It seems like you really enjoyed the movie. But, that doesn't mean it'll hit a 5X multiplier which is very rare to accomplish for any movie.

Gravity is different though. The reception is just once in a generation level, and the box office could be a phenomenon as well. If that happens how can they treat it like just some other action/thriller hit?

They dance to a different drummer, man. Star Wars, Close Encounters, 2001, Raiders, E.T., Avatar, need I go on? It'll be nominated for BP, BD, BA, and all the tech awards, no doubt. I don't think it wins BP or BD though.

Edited by Telemachos

They dance to a different drummer, man. Star Wars, Close Encounters, 2001, Raiders, E.T., Avatar, need I go on? It'll be nominated for BP, BD, BA, and all the tech awards, no doubt. I don't think it wins BP or BD though.

I don't know that it will win either, but it needs to happen imo. The Academy needs to break down their biases and avoid another TDK-esque backlash for being too set in their ways. The genre bias has gone on long enough, it's 2013 time for those walls to come down.

I have to say that the 3D in Gravity is some of the best I have seen - obviously not at the level of Avatar but definitely the best since then. Since most everyone has talked about the good things, here are some things I did not like about the movie:

- Some of the imagery and symbolism was way too on the nose, especially the "fetus in the womb" moment which went on for just a bit too long

- The massive "deus ex machina" moment 

- At some points it felt like Armageddon in the "everything that can go wrong will go wrong" sense

Random observations:

- Catching Fire is going to be huge, even though "Thor" will release in IMAX before CF, the theater only said "Tickets for Catching Fire are now available at the box office, please book them". The "Thor" trailer got no reaction, and the CF trailer got applause.

- The new "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" trailer may be one of the best trailers of the year, shows you everything while giving away nothing. I expect it to play very well over the holidays.

• Like 2

I have to say that the 3D in Gravity is some of the best I have seen - obviously not at the level of Avatar but definitely the best since then. Since most everyone has talked about the good things, here are some things I did not like about the movie:

- Some of the imagery and symbolism was way too on the nose, especially the "fetus in the womb" moment which went on for just a bit too long

- At some points it felt like Armageddon in the "everything that can go wrong will go wrong" sense

It's funny, two of your three quibbles are things I liked. :P Out of curiosity, what specifically do you mean by the "deus ex machina" moment? (spoiler-tagged, of course) :)

You mean like all those other times where they gave BP to an action/thriller (big hit or otherwise)?

It'll get a nomination. The expanded field almost guarantees it. Winning is another thing entirely and doesn't just depend on how good the movie is. 

• Like 1

Random observations:

- Catching Fire is going to be huge, even though "Thor" will release in IMAX before CF, the theater only said "Tickets for Catching Fire are now available at the box office, please book them". The "Thor" trailer got no reaction, and the CF trailer got applause.

- The new "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" trailer may be one of the best trailers of the year, shows you everything while giving away nothing. I expect it to play very well over the holidays.

By most accounts the 3D is better than Avatar's. 

• Like 1

It's funny, two of your three quibbles are things I liked. :P Out of curiosity, what specifically do you mean by the "deus ex machina" moment? (spoiler-tagged, of course) :)

The 

Clooney spirit guide telling her about the landing rocket.

That just felt very contrived and written out of convenience. Not enough of a quibble to prevent enjoyment of the movie, but it just felt weird since it is pretty clear that 

it is either a dream, or she is in heaven since her character survived explosive decompression.

Edited by grim22