chasmmi

Top 100 Movie Characters VOTE

Thought I would start a vote to see who (or what) people feel is the greatest movie character of all time.

When voting I want the focus to be on the performance as opposed to the character itself and as such when voting please add the actor and film in brackets both for ease of reference and also so that they can be differentiated from a different actor playing the same role. (Non-human roles are also allowed)

If an actor has played the same role in multiple films, they can only be voted for once. However in voting all votes on this character will be tallied up together so if one person votes for Jack Sparrow in Pirates 3 and another for Jack Sparrow in Pirates 4, these will be treated like the same vote. (This also means that one must try to consider every portrayal as a whole is an actor has played a role multiple times.)

You are welcome to pick multiple performances of the same role and multiple characters from one film. However I will impose a limit of no more than 5 characters from any one film series.

Therefore a top 5 could for example look like below:

•  
    • Danny Ocean – George Clooney, Ocean’s 11
    • Indiana Jones – River Phoenix, Indy and the last crusade
    • Lassie – Random dog/dogs, Lassie come home
    • Danny Ocean – Frank Sinatra, Ocean’s 11
    • Indiana Jones – Harrison Ford, Indy and the last crusade.

•  
      A voter may vote for any number of characters from a top 20 up to a top 100 and scoring will be done as follows:

1st: 25pts
      2nd 22pts
      3rd 20pts
      4th 18pts
      5th 16pts
      6-7th 14pts
      8-10th 12pts
      11-15th 10pts
      16-20th – 8pts
      21-30th – 6pts
      31-40th – 4pts
      40-60th 3pts
      61-80th 2pts
      81-100th 1pt

However on top of this I will add bonus points for nomination frequency, This means that a film will score extra points for being in more lists and this will work as follows:

3 votes: 5pts
      5 votes: 10pts
      7 votes: 15pts
      10 votes: 22pts
      15 votes 30pts

Votes will only be accepted if they are PMed to me but feel free to post below also. Any questions please feel free to ask.

A tentative deadline will be set as Oct 31st.

Have fun J

Edited by chasmmi
    • Like 1

The most iconic movie character ever is probably James Bond. I can't think of anyone else that's both that prolific and universally appealing. They'll still be making Bond movies long after I die.

My personal favourite, though, is probably Begbie from Trainspotting. Despite about 20 minutes of screentime, he absolutely eats up the movie.

I would allow animated characters yes (you can just say disney if its an older film and you can't be bothered checking IMBD to see who voiced Pongo or whoever :P ).

What I don't want is somebody just picking James Bond because he is James Bond. I want people to think of the merits of actor x's portrayal of said character as with the Bond example there is more than one version of the role that I feel left a lot to be desired. The same could arguably be said for Batman, Superman and many others.  

Ccertainly I would say that Woody, Shrek, Genie, Baloo etc fit the description of a great character also brought to life by the voice artists performance. The same could be said for Gollum in LOTR and maybe also the Ape from ROTPOTA 

• Like 1

I assume real life people won't be counted, like Patton, Gandhi, etc?

Why not?  Those two performances were brilliant and oscar winning.

EDIT...right, this is for characters.  Not real people.  

Edited by baumer

I would argue that an actors interpretation of Gandhi is no different from their interpretation of say Iron Man in that it is based on an outside source .However I am inclined not to accept real people on the grounds they ate not imaginary characters.

• Like 1

I would argue that an actors interpretation of Gandhi is no different from their interpretation of say Iron Man in that it is based on an outside source .However I am inclined not to accept real people on the grounds they ate not imaginary characters.

I would argue that the Roman Emperor from The Passion of the Christ should be allowed because that character in the movie was pure fantasy. The real emperor was not like that at all.

Doc Holiday from Tombstone might have made my list, so I am glad that I am hearing about this imaginary character ruling now.

• Like 1

I would argue that the Roman Emperor from The Passion of the Christ should be allowed because that character in the movie was pure fantasy. The real emperor was not like that at all.

Doc Holiday from Tombstone might have made my list, so I am glad that I am hearing about this imaginary character ruling now.

I think it overall makes sense to remove real people from the equation as the person can cloud opinion on the character.

As great as Oscar Schindler and Abraham Lincoln have been played for example, a big part of that probably comes down to the people themselves and not from the minds of an actor and their director

• Like 1

I think it overall makes sense to remove real people from the equation as the person can cloud opinion on the character.

As great as Oscar Schindler and Abraham Lincoln have been played for example, a big part of that probably comes down to the people themselves and not from the minds of an actor and their director

I completely understand what you mean and I understand what you are looking for with this vote. For me personally, I am going to try to limit myself to a character only once, and just use the actor's best performance with that character. If multiple actors portrayed a certain character, then the character may or may not end up on my list more than once.

Looks like this could be a fun thread.  Looking at the guidelines, if you are looking for performance more than the character itself, wouldn't the thread or game be:

Greatest performance ever and not greatest character ever?

Because in my opinion, Darth Vader is the greatest character of all time, but I wouldn't say the performance is the greatest.  That make sense?  Just looking for some clarification.

• Like 1

When I say think about the performance, I mean that I want focus to be on whatever was seen on screen to be most important, not other factors.

EG: many people may believe the Green Lantern to be a great charactor. However most of these people do not believe Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern was a great charactor.

Similarly with Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker  - Do you believe that Anakin in Ep 1-3 was does as good a character as he was in 4-6?

Do you believe that George Lazenby's Bond was eaxctly the same quality as Craig's?

This is what I mean about think of the character. In general, if you feel somebody was the greatest character of all time, the performance was probably there to match also.

(although anything which keep Star Wars characters lower in the list is fine by me :P )

• Like 1

When I say think about the performance, I mean that I want focus to be on whatever was seen on screen to be most important, not other factors.

EG: many people may believe the Green Lantern to be a great charactor. However most of these people do not believe Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern was a great charactor.

Similarly with Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker  - Do you believe that Anakin in Ep 1-3 was does as good a character as he was in 4-6?

Do you believe that George Lazenby's Bond was eaxctly the same quality as Craig's?

This is what I mean about think of the character. In general, if you feel somebody was the greatest character of all time, the performance was probably there to match also.

(although anything which keep Star Wars characters lower in the list is fine by me :P )

Thanks for the clarification.  Makes perfect sense now.

Thanks for the great thread.

Edited by 33Legend

Just wondering, but would characters who appeared in a TV series first, but later appeared in a film follow on from the TV series count? I'm mainly thinking Star Trek and Firefly characters here.