CaptainJackSparrow

Rank the Disney movies

I've been considering this while trying to come up with a lit of my top 25 animated films of all time. Half of them may be Disney.I can name my top four pretty easily, but the rest are hard.This is in chronological order:The Lion KingMulanLilo & StitchFrozenFurther updates as I figure things out.

Personally as a big disney fan I cant believe folks are rating Frozen so high.

Ive seen it and its a great film,  but deserving to be up  there with TLK, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast

era... Hell no

I did like the Snow Queen song though, but all the rest are forgettable.. I give frozen

and 8.4 out of 10.

Still like Disneys Incredibles over Frozen out of the CGI era.  Frozen and Finding Nemo

are tie for me.

The best 5 of the Disney Lot for me is

1. TLK

2. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Mary Poppins.

5. Aladdin

Ive seen it and its a great film,  but deserving to be up  there with TLK, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast

era... Hell no

No doubt people sometimes rate more recent films high because they're fresh in their minds.  

On the other hand... many people rate the older movies too high because they have fond memories from when they originally saw it.

Because of that I've been re-watching every Disney Animated film since Frozen came out.  I've got TP, Atlantas, Mulan and pocahontas left... then I'll come up with a full list.

When I rank Disney movies... I start simple: when I sit down at and look at my full Disney collection and have to pick 1 movie to watch... which one will I pick most of the time.  And if I enjoy listening to the soundtrack outside of the movie then that's a bonus.  

That method gets me my favorites and also my least liked movies.   Then I'll rank them from there based on other criteria.

So until I get them all watched... some observations on some of the Movies after re-watching them.

Frozen is the most re-watchable movies I've ever seen.  I've seen it over a dozen times and every time I've left the theater I want to go see the next showing.  However... it's unfair to compare a movie I'm seeing in the theater to movies I can only see on BluRay.

TLK - I still dislike it.  Probably because I dislike Simba... a character that only does what someone else tells him to do.

BatB - Much better then I remember.  It would have been outside my top 5 before and now it will be a top 5.

Aladdan - As good as I remember it.  Still love the character and the music

TLM - Still love the characters but a weaker movie then I remember.

MTR - Still enjoy it... still likely in my top 10

Hercules - still much better then it gets credit for.

era... Hell no

I did like the Snow Queen song though, but all the rest are forgettable.. I give frozen

and 8.4 out of 10.

Still like Disneys Incredibles over Frozen out of the CGI era.  Frozen and Finding Nemo

are tie for me.

The best 5 of the Disney Lot for me is

1. TLK

2. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Mary Poppins.

5. Aladdin

I was of a similar mind to you the first time I saw Frozen. I thought it was good but not great. In fact I even I had a slight bias to dislike it merely because I was against the idea of a new animated movie trying to stack up against the Renaissance Era Disney films. But once I bought the soundtrack and saw it again it was like a light switched on. It has gotten progressively better for me every time I have seen it and once you fully embrace the music it is simply a wonder. Believe me, I do not take my Disney rankings lightly. At first I wasn't even sure that I wanted to rank Frozen ahead of Tangled let alone some of my all-time favorites like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast. However, at a certain point I just had to let it go (pun intended) and accept the fact that it was great movie and ultimately deserving of a spot right up there near the top (although I still have it behind TLK for now).

Edited by FrozenFanatic

My cool disney brother in arms.. Frozen is quite as grand in my opinion for some of these reasons....vs the Lion king and beauty and the beast. I mean those films had a sense of family. .death and rebirth and rise to  magnificence like no other. I never seen  TLK's equal with its circle of life , music and theme of death and betrayal and family and forgiveness all in one disney film  done so well.Disney's Frozen has standout moments buts its lacking some of the magic that forced the Oscars to recognize Beauty and the beast as a not just an animation but it ran in the best picture Oscar with live action films for a reason.. Also Lion King is also deemed as not just a great animated movies like Beauty and the Beast but one of the greatest cinemactic  breakthroughs of all time... Hard to put frozen in this caliber for this long long time disney fan :)Beauty and the beast , I think its also the only  Disney film to get a golden globe period for best picture(Not best animated) in the history of cinema!

No doubt people sometimes rate more recent films high because they're fresh in their minds.  

On the other hand... many people rate the older movies too high because they have fond memories from when they originally saw it.

Because of that I've been re-watching every Disney Animated film since Frozen came out.  I've got TP, Atlantas, Mulan and pocahontas left... then I'll come up with a full list.

When I rank Disney movies... I start simple: when I sit down at and look at my full Disney collection and have to pick 1 movie to watch... which one will I pick most of the time.  And if I enjoy listening to the soundtrack outside of the movie then that's a bonus.  

That method gets me my favorites and also my least liked movies.   Then I'll rank them from there based on other criteria.

So until I get them all watched... some observations on some of the Movies after re-watching them.

Frozen is the most re-watchable movies I've ever seen.  I've seen it over a dozen times and every time I've left the theater I want to go see the next showing.  However... it's unfair to compare a movie I'm seeing in the theater to movies I can only see on BluRay.

TLK - I still dislike it.  Probably because I dislike Simba... a character that only does what someone else tells him to do.

BatB - Much better then I remember.  It would have been outside my top 5 before and now it will be a top 5.

That let it go moment is one of the best momnts Ive ever seen thats for sure,  but I saw  TLK  over 10 times without 3d gimics and saw Beauty and the beast almost as much for multiple musical numbers that are legendary

and themes of death , rebirth , acceptance no matter who you are and rising to prominence.

I doubt Disney will ever pull off a films those ticketsales or branch off in so many fields because

on the love of one movie.. The 90s help put disney in a true position of power to buy ABC, later on go on

to acquire Marvel, and Pixar and now Lucasfilm.. :)

I rank frozen a lil behind Tarzan and almost as good as Finding Nemo. Incredibles was a better

film than all the CGI films  with the Disney brand, but lacked the music to make it complete.

Share your thoughts my Disney brothers and sisters. I cant believe you havent fallen in love with Simba yet

tho..: P

1. Fantasia

2. Mary Poppins

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Cinderella

5. Aladdin

6. Snow White

7. Robin Hood

8. Peter Pan

9. Sleeping Beauty

10. Tangled

11. The Lion King

12. Lady and the Tramp

13. 101 Dalmatians

14. Fantasia 2000

15. Frozen

16. Mulan

17. Bambi

18. The Jungle Book

19. 20,000 Leagues under the sea

20. Pinocchio

• Like 2

1. Fantasia

2. Mary Poppins

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Cinderella

5. Aladdin

6. Snow White

7. Robin Hood

8. Peter Pan

9. Sleeping Beauty

10. Tangled

11. The Lion King

12. Lady and the Tramp

13. 101 Dalmatians

14. Fantasia 2000

15. Frozen

16. Mulan

17. Bambi

18. The Jungle Book

19. 20,000 Leagues under the sea

20. Pinocchio

Love your list Peludo buddy!! :).. Ahh and another 20,000 leagues under the sea and Mary Poppins fan :)..Amen!!

• Like 1

Right on Andy....Im listening to the Let it go song and Tale as  Old as time songs...And that Ariel song..All dynamic..And The Circle of Life :)

Every children should see Mary Poppins

Yes sir :). How are you my friend, we are getting tons of snow over here In New York.

Hows the weather in spain  Peludo.. And yes indeed when I have kids, that will be part of their

childhood for sure.

Listening to that segiment ...Again " LETTTT IT GOOOOO!!"

" Cold never botherreddd me anyway!" This is definitely one of the best Disney songs of all time.

And the best moment of Frozen!  Wow Tayee Diggs picked the wrong time to cheat or get caught

way too much . His wife has kicked him out  Peludo and she is about to blow up like

Celion Dion before her thanks to this amazing song and film

Yes sir :). How are you my friend, we are getting tons of snow over here In New York.

Hows the weather in spain  Peludo.. And yes indeed when I have kids, that will be part of their

childhood for sure.

Listening to that segiment ...Again " LETTTT IT GOOOOO!!"

" Cold never botherreddd me anyway!" This is definitely one of the best Disney songs of all time.

And the best moment of Frozen!  Wow Tayee Diggs picked the wrong time to cheat or get caught

way too much . His wife has kicked him out  Peludo and she is about to blow up like

Celion Dion before her thanks to this amazing song and film

I am fine, thank you :)

Weather is not as bad as yours. It is very rainy lately, but it is being a (too) soft winter.

And yes, it is definitely a very good song ;)

10. Alice in Wonderland

9. Pinocchio

8. Robin Hood

7. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

6. Beauty and the Beast

5. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

4. Fantasia

3. The Lion King

2. Dumbo

1. Snow White and The Seven Dwarves

Edited by Jack Nevada

10. Alice in Wonderland

9. Pinocchio

8. Robin Hood

7. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

6. Beauty and the Beast

5. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

4. Fantasia

3. The Lion King

2. Dumbo

1. Snow White and The Seven Dwarves

I forgot about that disney film Alice in Wonderland Jack good pick on your top 10 list. :)

Love your list.. Hah hah no Aladdin?

Finally re-watched Hunchback... better then I remembered but I think the music was weak.

My picks with grades instead of order:

Frozen, BatB, Aladdin  - A+

Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled, Mermaid, L&S, - A

The Princess and the Frog, Return to Neverland, Meet the Robinsons, Alice - A-

Hercules, Notre Dame, Peter Pan, 101 Dogs, Emperor's New Groove - B+

Most of the classics... pinocchio, dumbo, bambi, all the princesses, LatT, jungle book... all range in the Bs

The ones I've seen but would rate C or lower: TLK, Black Cauldron, Sword & Stone,