grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

• Founder / Operator

Stop saying November like its a bad thing . November has proven to be a lucrative month

Agreed. I really don't think November can be a major "excuse" for Thor 2. Now, if it had made $80m in mid-to-late December, that would be different. But there's not a big difference between the first weekend of May and early November. We tend to forget sometimes that just because we call the first Friday in May "the start of summer" for box office and movies, it isn't really summer for people in the real world. People still work, kids are still in school, and even some colleges are still in session.

• Like 2

Agreed. I really don't think November can be a major "excuse" for Thor 2. Now, if it had made $80m in mid-to-late December, that would be different. But there's not a big difference between the first weekend of May and early November. We tend to forget sometimes that just because we call the first Friday in May "the start of summer" for box office and movies, it isn't really summer for people in the real world. People still work, kids are still in school, and even some colleges are still in session.

high school kids are like "fuck it the school year is over, I can go to school late" Go to a midnight showing or skip Friday classes. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

Indeed, Shawn, but as Dexter said, there's a difference between three weeks left in school and three months into the year. Especially among middle school kids and ESPECIALLY high schoolers.  They're more willing to go see movies at midnight and right after school on Friday than right in the center of the year. Shit just feels like its wrapping up. Everything is more lax and easier. Sure, it doesn't apply to little kids at all, but among the 12 to 18 crowd, it does make a difference. Absolutely. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

high school kids are like "fuck it the school year is over, I can go to school late" Go to a midnight showing or skip Friday classes. 

If that were a significant factor though, I think we'd be seeing it in the numbers. Thor 2's Thu/Fri ratio was very close to IM3's.

Thor 2 4.55x

IM3: 4.41x

Indeed, Shawn, but as Dexter said, there's a difference between three weeks left in school and three months into the year. Especially among middle school kids and ESPECIALLY high schoolers.  They're more willing to go see movies at midnight and right after school on Friday than right in the center of the year. Shit just feels like its wrapping up. Everything is more lax and easier. Sure, it doesn't apply to little kids at all, but among the 12 to 18 crowd, it does make a difference. Absolutely. 

I sent you a PM awhile ago. Did you get it?

• Founder / Operator

Sorry, buddy, but I think that's a serious stretch. And I say that as someone who frequently went to midnight shows in high school and skipped classes the next day.

Plus, let's not forget, midnights don't really exist anymore. IM3 and Thor both opened at 8pm Thursday night and had very similar Thu-to-Fri ratios. Based on that, opening in May very likely would not have made any difference.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Yep we're definitely in session, its actually exam season. You don't really have time for anything during that period. Hell i have 3 exams in 24 hours next month. I totally agree with you and John and whoever else is sticking up for November. First Friday of May is not "start of summer" for the GA, and now when they start calling the end of April "summer" they sound ridiculous. People are just looking for an excuse, but you have to realize people have still lives. We have no idea how Thor's legs can play out yet so people need to stop crying, this would've been no different in the summer. CF is going from March to November, so is that "doomed" too? Mhh hmm exactly.

• Like 2

Sorry, buddy, but I think that's a serious stretch. And I say that as someone who frequently went to midnight shows in high school and skipped classes the next day.

Plus, let's not forget, midnights don't really exist anymore. IM3 and Thor both opened at 8pm Thursday night and had very similar Thu-to-Fri ratios. Based on that, opening in May very likely would not have made any difference.

It doesn't matter to movie buffs like us, no, of course not, but to casual friends, at least where I'm from, in my generation? It does. Maybe it's just the way my large public high school treated kids towards the end of the year (they didn't give a damn what we did at that point) but it was a difference. I was there just two years ago.

Thor and IM3 did have very similar Thursday to Friday ratios, BUT I think Thor had more room to gain. In fact, I think it had the most to gain of any Avengers effect movie, statistically. 

Yep we're definitely in session, its actually exam season. You don't really have time for anything during that period. Hell i have 3 exams in 24 hours next month. I totally agree with you and John and whoever else is sticking up for November. First Friday of May is not "start of summer" for the GA, and now when they start calling the end of April "summer" they sound ridiculous. People are just looking for an excuse, but you have to realize people have still lives. We have no idea how Thor's legs can play out yet so people need to stop crying, this would've been no different in the summer. CF is going from March to November, so is that "doomed" too? Mhh hmm exactly.

The weekend before Thanksgiving is far more advantageous than the middle of March, absolutely. March and May aren't the same thing

I'm sorry guys, but I think yall are putting too much emphasis on these high schoolers and midnights. I don't think its as common as yall think. And even if they go to a mignight they don't have to skip the next day. The only time I would have friends skip after a midnight release was "Call of Duty" and that would be like 2 or 3 guys. Friday and Saturday night is still the popular choice, especially when football is not going on. It really doesn't make a difference. And even though theres a month left of school, they still have exams, graduation, college and etc to plan for. It's not a welp ima just not go now period.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1