grim22

Monday Numbers 11/18/2013: BMH 2.4M, Thor TDW 2.2M

Lol at people now bringing up the "there are plenty of sequels that decrease" card for Thor 2

But that's the truth. They do decrease. Some decrease and some increase. It's a fact. It's not a trump card.

The tweet in question:

Posted Image

I agree that it could be worded differently. He should have made it clearer by saying "targeting the same audience" or something.

LOL how is that different from what he said?

He said what he meant.  Three black holiday themed movies are being released. Is it overkill?

• Like 2

LOL how is that different from what he said?

He said what he meant.  Three black holiday themed movies are being released. Is it overkill?

I am not saying anything different than what he did. A lot of people misinterpreted his tweet. 

I am not saying anything different than what he did. A lot of people misinterpreted his tweet. 

I know you're not saying anything different.

How are they misinterpreting his tweet?

He's asking are there too many black holiday movies coming out at the same time?

I know you're not saying anything different.

How are they misinterpreting his tweet?

He's asking are there too many black holiday movies coming out at the same time?

I think it stayed below the radar till Gawker brought it up: http://defamer.gawker.com/critics-need-to-stop-being-shocked-that-black-films-do-1466864761

When pressed on how that was an oddly racist sentiment masquerading as an interrogative statement, Subers feigned ignorance, asking how that tweet could be seen as offensive. I pointed out that in 2004, there were three major holiday films all featuring big name actors and all-white casts/storylines—The Polar ExpressSurviving Christmas, and Christmas With The Kranks—Subers only response was "I wasn't doing box office analysis in 2004." While his statements are surprising for a journalist (I mean, overkill, really?), he's unfortunately not alone. Despite stating that it should be unsurprising that black audiences enjoy the moviegoing experience, Scott Mendelson at Forbes ultimately chalks the success of Best Man Holiday up to a fad 

I think it stayed below the radar till Gawker brought it up: http://defamer.gawker.com/critics-need-to-stop-being-shocked-that-black-films-do-1466864761

Surviving Christmas and Christmas With The Kranks  being released in the same year is definitely over kill. Ugh, I know people who watch those movies every christmas. :sick: 

Edited by CoolioD1

So I was just poking around rottentomatoes to see how many Christmas movies have a decent amount of early reviews. Two films stood out:-Looks like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is getting some pretty disappointing reviews. It might connect well with the general audience in the way that something like Grown Ups does, though the fact that its not a straight up comedy could hurt it. Either way, the reviews are disappointing.-On the other hand, the early reviews for Her are through the roof. I was looking forward to that movie, but after taking a quick look at some of the reviews, it looks like this one could be fantastic. It won't make much of a dent at the boxoffice, but it'll be a factor during award season.

Her = my dating story. My current gf is a bot Edited by lilmac