CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

Lordmandeep can answer this better than me, but if I'm not mistaken, the LOTR films were massive in Canada.  I think ROTK might have done 50 mill here.  So it doesn't surprise me that the Hobbit is doing well here.  It was pretty busy at my afternoon show yesterday.

If a 70 something million opening happens then it can get to about 280 m. Combined with higher overseas numbers you get 1 billion worldwide

You're expecting a 4 multiplier while AUJ only got 3.6. I just don't see super WOM that's going to propel DOS. 

• Like 1

Didn't you see it at a pre-screening? Not sure that would necessarily be indicative of how the general audience will react to it. Honestly, it bothered me. I get why it couldn't go further, but the movie was already slogging on and it felt like zero payoff whatsoever to suddenly stop

Industry screenings are pretty muted. People don't usually applaud until the end credits are under way (and then it's sort of a light polite clapping). This got the same sort of reaction that INCEPTION's ending did.

• Like 1

You're expecting a 4 multiplier while AUJ only got 3.6. I just don't see super WOM that's going to propel DOS. 

It's possible for a smaller rush factor since there wasn't a 9 year wait in between.

Industry screenings are pretty muted. People don't usually applaud until the end credits are under way (and then it's sort of a light polite clapping). This got the same sort of reaction that INCEPTION's ending did.

You can't compare this to Inception on a delicate night like this for me Tele. I didn't get my Interstellar teaser. And now you do this.

• Like 1

One thing about releasing films this time of year is how people have other things to do, as well as don't have enough money and snow and stuff.

Knew people say its a disappointment-even if it made 40M on its OD :P

No, they wouldn't.  And you can't use that excuse anymore Impact.  The fact is the last Hobbit did not endear itself to everyone.  This drop, if the 27 mill holds, shows that.