CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

I can see it in the same sense that people say they "loved X movie but didn't like the third act" type way. I've always looked at the film series the same way the books are supposed to be looked at- as one.

And yeah, when I was 10 and saw RotK in theaters it blew me away. The kind of childhood moviegoing experience is something a lot of people wish they had.

Still, what I wouldn't give to relive that experience at my current age.

This is a great post.  And it puts into perspective for me quite a bit.  There were films I saw when I was younger that have lived on in my subconscious.  I remember seeing Return of the Jedi in theaters when I was 11 and I sat there in complete awe of it.  And then another film that left me with my jaw agape(literally) was JFK.  I'd give anything to experience those kinds of emotions again at the movies.  Everything and anything that can be imagined now can be done on screen.  It wasn't like that 30 years ago, there were limitations.  So thank you for writing a terrific post that puts the love of this series into perspective.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm not understanding the "told you so" reactions I'm seeing on this thread. Even the head "ringer" around this place was predicting under 300m and that a decrease was inevitable. There's nothing to get all excited about these numbers either way, IMO.

• Like 3

Just saying no 5 yrs per film like Juggernaut 2009.. We will have to wait abit for the franchise to start again and then the world will just have Avatar, Avatar and more avatar...

I think the 4th is rumoured to be a prequel . :)

That still doesn't explain how Avatar 2 will beat TA's gross.

Personally, I'm not understanding the "told you so" reactions I'm seeing on this thread. Even the head "ringer" around this place was predicting under 300m and that a decrease was inevitable. There's nothing to get all excited about these numbers either way, IMO.

I hope you are not including me in this.  It's doing pretty much what I expected it to and I've really tried to keep my emotions out of this when commenting on the box office of the film.

I watched the first one in IMAX.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twi...well, you ain't gonna fool me again.  I watched this one on a regular screen.

Baumer your thoughts on Godzilla for domination in 2014. Want to make the the godzilla over 300M domestic thread.

Shoot I think Godzilla can upset SM2 :D

• Like 1

Baumer your thoughts on Godzilla for domination in 2014. Want to make the the godzilla over 300M domestic thread.

Shoot I think Godzilla can upset SM2 :D

Upsetting Spiderman 2 won't be that hard.  It should fall from the first. 

They did. A lot. HP1 would have done roughly around $1.1b in 2003's prices instead of the $975m it did in 2001.

Potter has been the highest grossing "non-James Cameron" film twice...first with SS and then again with DH2. Out of all the amazing feats the franchise has accomplished I think this has to be the most impressive.Well and maybe its insane 43.5m midnight haul....which may never be topped. Lol Edited by Lumos

I thought it was all part of the Christmas spirit?

• Like 2

My mind can't fathom the idea that ROTK sold less tickets overseas than FOTR ... I don't care what the exchange rate is, I don't see how it makes up for 200 million dollars.

If so, that's just insane.

In 2001, 1€=0.9$. In 2003, 1€=1.2$. That is a 33% increase in revenues just for these countries.

And Yen and Australian dolar increased too relative to dollar in those 2 years (I do not have the data of its values).

Easy example to see this difference:

Spain numbers according BOM (41% gap)

ROTK: 39.8 million $

FOTR: 28.2 million $

Reality (4.8% gap)

ROTK: 32.8 million € (6.81 million admissions)

FOTR: 31.3 million € (7.04 million admissions)

I know that converting to $ is the best way to unify overseas grosses, but it causes perverse effects like this. 2001 movies are the most affected by this system of ranking. Exchange rates were awful everywhere.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 3

That still doesn't explain how Avatar 2 will beat TA's gross.

Lets see Juggernaut 2009 is the most loved film since Titanic, it outsolde TA1 on homevideo by over 30M copies..

The  Soundtrack of the Juggernaut also was a top seller. . The first film is a 10 billion+ windfall all by itself as a moneymaker. and is posted in most peoples greatest movie experiences of all time.

Lets put it this way James Camerons name on the title with Avatar is enough to outsell Avengers 2 at this point..lol

Though we can expect theaters to do the unimaginable again and have an Avatar 2 Day in 300+ special theaters domestically and Worldwide just to get a glipse of the sequel and the world will come running.

Did I mention in a far bigger OS market  Avengers was only able to make 800+mil lol and 600+M(Which could be its max)

Lets see Juggernaut 1 760+mil and 2B+ OS.. I believe Avengers 2 is not even in the same playing film as Juggernaut 2 my friend.

Logic over Disney Avengers fanboys everytime(though I too am a fanboy, Im not out of my mind to think disney has anything that competes with the name James Cameron) lol

I hope you are not including me in this.  It's doing pretty much what I expected it to and I've really tried to keep my emotions out of this when commenting on the box office of the film.

No, I'm actually directing this toward two users in particular. ;)

• Like 3

Sat#s DOS 23.8,FRZ 10.1,TP 6.2,CF 5.6/Apocalypse has been renewed

Hmm, hopefully official estimate it can go up to 24mil. Not really an apocalypse yet.

DOM: 260mil

1 bil

deal.

The apocalypse simply refers to domestic.  We all know this is going to gross gobs of money internationally.

• Like 1

Nice I hope WB went all out as this can be their transformers mega franchise.. If they do it right. I think WB is also planning on doing Heman on epic scale like lOTR.. That should be huge huge huge as well depending who is involved.

Yeah, Heman could be great if done on an epic scale with good people involved. ^_^