baumer

Lone Survivor (2013)

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's not a subtle film at all, and is unabashedly a love letter to the Navy SEALs. The early scenes in particular feel weak because Berg is laying it on so thick. That being said, it's actually much better than what I expected and I defy anyone not to get a little misty-eyed in the final moments.Solid B/B+ from me.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

It felt kinda... simple. I don't know why, but it just didn't connect too much with me. Not the secondary characters, at least. Wahlberg's character did connect with me quite some. I nearly cried he turned around to thank that kid and man for helping him. But still, it felt kinda dry, empty, simple... I really have no idea how to put it. It's brutal as hell, too...

B

• Like 1

It felt kinda... simple. I don't know why, but it just didn't connect too much with me. Not the secondary characters, at least. Wahlberg's character did connect with me quite some. I nearly cried he turned around to thank that kid and man for helping him. But still, it felt kinda dry, empty, simple... I really have no idea how to put it. It's brutal as hell, too...

B

It is simple. Very simple.

Really, really enjoyed it on most levels. Second half is near perfection. Might crack my top 12 of 2013. Completely different and not really comparable at all, but it IS like 12 Years a Slave in that it is as visceral, brutal, real, and emotional as it gets. Excellent experience.

Also, this movie isn't too "pro-war" as some who won't see it will claim. It's only objective is to honor the actual brave men who serve. It's certainly jingostic, but not overtly political (though it does have some icky transgressions). 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4

I was pretty much blown away by it.  I was interested in the characters and I was engaged in the action.  This is a film where you can separate your politics and really get behind the men you are watching.  I felt they did a nice enough job allowing us to get to know the soldiers at the beginning so that when the shooting starts you really feel for them.  I was shocked and a little skeptical about all the shots these men took.  But then I read that director Peter Berg went to Dietz's father's home and he read him an autopsy report detailing the 11 bullet wounds he suffered.  The man was crying as he read the report to Berg and told him to make sure he got that in the film, he wanted everyone to know how hard he fought before he died.  Berg honoured the memory of these men by leaving nothing out.  

I've never been a huge fan of Berg, nothing he has done, with the exception of Hancock, has really been all that good imo.  But he has proven here that he has the chops to direct a great films.  He gets fantastic performances out of all four actors, especially Taylor Kitsch.  And the action scenes kind of reminded me of the frenetic craziness of Pearl Harbor.  They were fast, brutal, loud and unexpected.  Berg has really made a terrific film.

This is one of the best of the year imo.

9/10

• Like 4

Reading the book and watching the movie. the movie is pure propaganda. The author believes his fellow soldiers due to the liberal media in the book. The gun fights are good but also unrealistic for a movie trying to portray itself as realistic in the sense that the soldiers get hit with so many bullets yet keep on walking and running for a long time.The dying scenes of the one of the colleagues in the end has been changed from the book to make it look more dramatic and hollywood. My opinion. They screwed up and engaged the enemy a lot of what is in the book must have happened but a lot seems to be massaged to make heroes out of a screwed up situation.

2.5/5

D

Despite the accuracy about depicting all the wounds, there are a fair number of liberties the movie takes. Not that it matters, really -- a movie should stand on its own whether it's "accurate" or not, but LS is not exactly the hyper-accurate movie that the filmmakers claim.

Care to elaborate?

Doesn't surprise me that it's Hollywoodized, but I haven't had enough time to read anything yet.