CaptainJackSparrow

Transformers Age of Extinction: 1.05B (300 mil in China!!)

First, even it called Captain China or to be a robot, Captain America 2 will not make $300M(not even $200M) in 2014 this is for sure!

Back to Fake's comments, from my point of view he didn't try to mark China as a "guitly" because of TF4 success!  Fake is Asian and from India.  He just be very proud and happy that this is the first ever $300M in an OS market and this happened in Asia in 2014.  I am 100% sure Fake is not a Transformers film hater(look at his avatar) and his previous posts!  I am trying to point out that if there are few films reach $300M already in China, then yes, Fake may try to mark China as a "guitly" because of TF4 success!  However, this is not the case!  It just simply this is first ever $300M in an OS market!  As an Asian, I am proud of this achievement too!

Second, regarding "People did not question it when Frozen has done 650 million in Japan+USA"!  Really?  If you read news or take this forums as an example, Japan has been linked to Frozen's achievement!  When people talk about Frozen's box office, people will first think about Japan!

But we didn't reply to Fake's comment, at least I didn't. There're quite a few people who've made similar comments about how ordinary or below-par TF4 run would have been without China number.

People recognised Frozen's success in Japan but they didn't do it in condescending tone the same way they did with TF4 and China. If anything, they glorified that success and praised Japanese 'good' taste in movie for embracing Frozen.

• Like 3

"But Paramount's Age of Extinction has grossed far less than previous Transformers movies domestically, though it will be the first 2014 film to hit $1 billion worldwide thanks to $300 million in China. " - THR

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-slump-hollywood-facing-720420?utm_expid=19303748-89.vl1UgudORTW16NBGatuX7w.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F

I agree with you but this is the way the media report the box office.  Take Skyfall as an example, the media will report Skyfall has reached...  thanks to ... in Uk or Frozen has reached... thanks to... in Japan.  The media always thanks to overseas country as it is very rare for an overseas country to reach this kind of milestone!

Also, when the media said thanks to...  it just another way to say the biggest market(outside of north American, of course) of that film...

Edited by J LO

Totally agree with you!! But Frozen did pretty well everywhere. Frozen didn't need Japan to reach 1B  :P  Remember it did almost $320m in Europe and $76.7m in South Korea. Japan was just the cherry on top  ;)

But Japan isn't Frozen's biggest market. Frozen wouldn't have reached 1b without the money it's made in US. IM3 wouldn't have reached 1b without it's DOM number either. TF4 biggest market happens to be China, that's all.

• Like 1

Well, it depends which country... China has almost 3 times the population of the European Union  ;)

India also has almost 3 times the population of the European Union.  Also, don't forget that even China has almost 3 times the population of the European Union, but the European Union currency is far higher than China's.   ;)

• Like 1

When it's a movie people like, a giant gross in one nation is great.  When it's something they despise, then it's an anomaly and something that needs to be pointed out.  Pretty ridiculous.

• Like 7

Such a massive win for Bay and Paramount. Unless I am missing something, only this and TDK trilogy have back to back billion dollar grossers. Hobbit and Pirates almost did and Avatar will probably do 4 in a row. 

Edit: Could be argued that Jackson did it with Return of the King followed by AUJ since they are essentially part of the same franchise. Also, The Avengers and Iron Man 3 since the MCU is essentially a franchise as well.

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1

See, I told you guys before that Paramount will announce this weekend instead of last weekend so first, it will not steal last week's headline which was Brazil opened huge and second, this weekend Paramount will have another headline which is China crossed $300M! 

• Like 2