Lordmandeep

May 2007 Debacle! Discuss and The Best of the Three Films?

Best of Three?   

38 members have voted

1. 1. Best of Three films of May 2007

Anyone who has followed box office remembers this month well.

You had three threequels, massive box office and big disappointment. 

In one month we had three of the most anticipated films over the year all in 4 weeks.

They all grossed massive grosses adjusted

Spiderman 3: 177 Opening and 393 million Adjusted

Shrek 3: 142 million opening and 377 million adjusted (still the biggest Animation opening ever ) 

Pirates 3: 179 million 4-day and 362 million adjusted.

No doubt a massive month however all three films actually failed to meet box office expectations domestically for overall grosses. Shrek 3 and Spider Man 3 had gigantic openings, Pirates 4 had a huge opening but it had ridiculous expectations. The legs however were awful for all three...

Most importantly was that all three films did not meet expectations of fans and audiences and were seen as a let down compared to the previous parts.

I have noticed that ever since we have not seen such a tight schedule for films and I think overall Pirates 3 while being a mess was at least a B film.

The disappointment of these films led to the great reception of Transformers which became the audience favourite film of 2007 handily.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I remember I watched all three films in theaters...

Spider Man 3 was a huge letdown... I was watching Godfather part 2 at home and then picked up my cousins to see it and we were in the front row... I remember at the end some people booed and I felt like walking out near the end as the film was such a let down. 

Shrek 3 I cannot even remember.

I actually thought Pirates 3 would be great as it looked amazing... The film ended up being quite boring and tedious...

In 2nd or third view just watching the finale was great but the rest of the film...  :huh:

I think Pirates  3 was a big release date disaster...That pretty much should have came out in mid July as a lot of people who watched DMC skipped AWE as they watched Shrek 3 and Spider Man 3.  It did sell like 15 million dvds in the end. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

May/07 was such a sad month,I loved all 3 predecessors...

DMC A+ (100)

Spider-Man 2 A (95)

Shrek 2 A- (90)

and hated all 3 threequels...

Shrek B- (70)

Pirates B- (65)Spider C+ (60)

fortunately, two of them were victim of expectations, two of them grew.

Pirates A- (90) Spider B (75)Shrek C+ (60)

Pirates isn't the bloated film that I used to think and I simply can't hate SM3, Sam Raimi shows his creativity in every frame. In repeat views, Shrek 3 is so bland and unfunny (Shrek 4 is a lot worse though)

Edited by Goffe Luvs 1D