Gopher

Count Down 100 Movies from 2013 (Multiple users) Tele page 20

#15. Elysium

Posted Image

Review- While Elysium does live in the shadow of District 9, Elysium has a fascinating and enlightening premise that is well executed and directed and keeps moviegoers on the edge of their seats. If Elysium would have opened before District 9 I think people would have loved it way more. It is still a great film though. Jodie Foster and Matt Damon did a amazing job in this film and I really enjoyed their performances. The political and sociological themes in the film are what make this film one of the best films of the year. I feel like the issues talked and discussed throughout the film really reflect on American society especially healthcare, immigration, and the difference between the upper and lower classes. Neill Blomkamp has struck again and is one of my favorite directors of all time easily. I am very excited for Chappie. 

• Like 1

#14. We’re the Millers

Posted Image

Review- Very funny, strong acting, and a fairly original premise, We’re the Millers rises as a must see comedy of 2013 that will have you laughing from beginning to end. I am serious. I didn't stop laughing all the way through the entire film. The film definitely lived up to the hysterical trailer. I was worried that all the funny moments in the trailer wouldn't be funny in the film but I was thankfully wrong.  Critics were wrong with this film. If you haven't seen it SEE IT RIGHT AWAY!

• Like 2

Elysium was very very underwhelming, but Sharlto Copley's gonzo performance was oddly fascinating.

I absolutely loved it. I am though biased for political and sociological themed films like Elysium, District 9, V for Vendetta and so on. 

• Like 1

If you were not overly impressed with Wolf, why is it in your top 25?  :)

Great call on Millers.  Definitely one of the two or three funniest films of the year.

• Like 1

Great write ups Jack.

My tiny quibble is when someone says something like, "Bridesmaids isn't as funny as everyone says it is," that's just wrong.  Because you are implying that all those people are lying.  And I can assure you Bridesmaids is as funny as I say it is because that's my opinion.  Perhaps what you mean to say is, "I don't get the humour in Bridesmaids and imo it's not as funny as people say it is."  :)

• Like 1

If you were not overly impressed with Wolf, why is it in your top 25?   :)

Great call on Millers.  Definitely one of the two or three funniest films of the year.

It was a well done film. I know my rating in the Review Thread is a 7.0 but after two repeated viewings I have increased it to a 8/10. The film took a while to grow on me and it still is growing. 

Edited by Hiccup
  • Like 1

#13. American Hustle

Posted Image

Review- David O Russell is a great direct and while American Hustle was no where as good as Silver Lining Playbooks, American Hustle is still one of the best films of 2013 thanks to a great cast performance particularly Cooper, Bale, Adams, and Lawrence. I mean talk about a hot cast....damn. I mean look at Adams and Lawrence. They alone could sell the film to men. Renner was the weak link imo but to be honest I don't like him as an actor outside of The Hurt Locker. American Hustle was a fun and great movie experience and I shockingly didn't get bored throughout the 2 hour and 18 minute running time. Silver Lining Playbooks>>>American Hustle>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Fighter.

My only complaint is the rave scene. I am normally fine with flashing lights and stuff but it was way too much. I had to look away. 

• Like 1

That would be a great thread, "which films did you like upon further viewings, that perhaps you didn't like all that much at first?"

That would be a terrific thread. My top three would be #1- Pain and Gain, #2- The Wolf of Wall Street, and #3- This Is the End

• Like 1

21. Saving Mr. Banks

Posted Image

I think it's pretty safe to say that everyone loves Mary Poppins, right? For me it's up there with The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars and E.T as one of the defining movies of my childhood. Now I know that might sound cheesy, but I think it's pretty much a perfect kids movie and damn near a perfect movie, period. Saving Mr. Banks is the lovingly recreated story of Walt Disney's (Tom Hanks, in a plum role) struggle to make that would-be classic.

Emma Thompson (snubbed for an Oscar nomination) plays the author of Mary Poppins P.L Travers who travels to Hollywood to basically make the production a living hell. This is by far the best section of the movie. The scenes with The Sherman Brothers (B.J Novak and Jason Schwartzman) and the screenwriter Don DaGradi (Bradley Whitford) getting totally shit on by Travers were some of the funniest, cleverest stuff from last year.

Thompson is fabulous as Travers, and while she is most definitely a ruthless bitch, but I never hated her. Especially when in flashbacks we find out about the events that made her so bitter. These flashbacks take place in Australia, and are quite a lot darker than the snappy, colorful stuff with Walt Disney. Colin Farrell plays Travers' alcoholic father who obviously loves his child more than anything in the world, but can't overcome his illness. It's a fine performance from Farrell, going from a funny, lovable drunk to a wreck who's just slowly killing himself in front of his children.

The movie is obviously not historically accurate (Travers never came to like the movie despite what they imply here), and it is pretty corny with its moments of sentimentality, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't cry at least two times. It actually made me see Mary Poppins in a new light, as it had never crossed my mind that it's actually about the redemption of Mr. Banks. It's a sweet, funny and interesting movie that put a smile on my face and a spring in my step.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 6

Great write ups Jack.

My tiny quibble is when someone says something like, "Bridesmaids isn't as funny as everyone says it is," that's just wrong.  Because you are implying that all those people are lying.  And I can assure you Bridesmaids is as funny as I say it is because that's my opinion.  Perhaps what you mean to say is, "I don't get the humour in Bridesmaids and imo it's not as funny as people say it is."   :)

"Imo" is for the weak.  :)

• Like 2

20. The Hunt

Posted Image

The Hunt is the story of a kindergarten worker (Mads Mikkelsen) living in a tightly-knit Danish community who becomes the target of manhunt after getting falsely accused of child molestation by a child from his workplace. We see this man lose most of his friends, become a social outcast and meeting both quiet resentment and even violence from the people of his community. 

It's a masterfully told story of mass hysteria, mob mentality and how false accusations, even when lacking evidence, can ruin a person's life. Mads Mikkelsen gives one of hell of a nuanced performance, getting much across with the smallest of facial tics and eye movements. Also good is young Annika Wedderkopp as the kid who tells the fateful lie. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 3

19. Blackfish

Posted Image

While Blackfish mainly targets SeaWorld, an American chain of theme parks, it's message is simple and universal: stop fucking with animals. Especially ones that are dangerous and obviously not to be kept in captivity, like killer whales. Killer whale is a complex, social animal that lives with other killer whales and swims around in huge area. It's just stupid to put these things in small pools, obviously they're going to get stressed and go fucking crazy. But that's only the basis of the problem. These parks (obviously) dont give a hoot about the welfare of the animals, nor the safety of the handlers. Both the animals and the people are suffering but it's all about profit, fuck everything else. To show just how pragmatic and greedy these parks are, we find out that Tilikum, a whale who has killed something like four people, is not only moved around from one SeaWorld attraction to another but his evil seed is constantly being collected for breeding new whales. What the hell?

Blackfish is eye-opening and well-made. It doesn't have the visual flair or trickery that some documentaries have, but it gets its message across in a very calm and convincing way. I am never taking my kids to one of these parks after seeing Blackfish. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 4