Gopher

Count Down 100 Movies from 2013 (Multiple users) Tele page 20

Okay, let's do this. We start with 

25. The Selfish Giant

Posted Image

The Selfish Giant, the second feature film by British filmmaker Clio Barnard, is one of the grimmest movies of 2013, and one of the best movies about poverty I've seen. It's the story of two best friends, the scrawny and troubled Arbor (played brilliantly by the 13-year old Conner Chapman in his debut role) and the pudgy but empathetic Shifty (Shaun Thomas, 15, also excellent) who start collecting scrap to earn some extra cash. The story isn't exactly complicated, and can be compared to something like Kes, the Ken Loach masterpiece about a kid who's only joy in his miserable life is his pet falcon. Both movies show a side of Britain we don't often see: the people in Selfish Giant are poor, angry and desperate, all color and life vanished from their bleak faces. One of the main scenes in the film for me was when we're shown Shifty's family of at least six sharing cans of cold beans in their grey drafty rent apartment. The movie shows the shocking inequality of wealth that we wouldn't always like the acknowledge but is still always present. One of the best British movies in a while. 

24. Monsters University

Posted Image

Monsters Inc. is my favorite Pixar movie, and while the sequel is obviously not as good as the original, it is still a major success. Admittedly, it is Pixar at their lightest: the only scene that comes even close to the emotional gut-punch packed by Up and Toy Story 3 is near the end when Sully and Mike have a little conversation by the lake. But I was honestly having so much fun with these the jokes, the animation and the likable characters that I didn't miss the heavy substance of some of Pixar's previous movies. It's well-written, creative, snappy and most importantly very, very funny.

23.  The Heat

Posted Image

Melissa McCarthy got her big break in (the awful) Bridesmaids, which also earned her an Oscar nomination in the supporting actress category. Now, Bridesmaids is not as funny as everyone seems to think it is. The Heat, which reunites the Bridesmaids director Paul Feig with McCarthy, on the other hand, is hilarious. It's a pretty basic odd couple comedy but it works both due to the sharp script and the chemistry between the leads. Melissa McCarthy plays a farting, swearing, sandwich-eating Boston cop who has to work with the tight-ass played by Sandra Bullock in order to bust a major drug kingpin or something. Wacky shenanigans ensue. The movie can sometimes feel like a collection of sketches but it keeps the laughs coming for two hours and then it ends. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 9

22. Mud

Posted Image

Mud is the real deal. There's just no bullshit in it. It has no pretentions of being anything other than a good, honest, straight-forward little adventure, and it succeeds in spades. Mud has potential to become a classic coming-of-age movie. I like it very much and I'm definitely going to watch it again, but it's kinda low on my list because there were simply too many good movies last year. 

It's a very competently made film. There is such clarity in Jeff Nichol's filmmaking that you could easily mistake him for an industry veteran even though Mud is only his third feature. I haven't seen Nichols' previous two movies, Shotgun Stories and the much acclaimed Take Shelter, but I am definitely looking forward to his next projects. 

While Matthew McConaughey is all over the posters it's really Tye Sheridan's movie. He was briefly in 2011's The Tree of Life, but this is his first lead role. And he is very good as the Mississippi kid who finds a mysterious fugitive living on an island. This guy is going places. McConaughey shouldn't be dismissed, though, as he's as good here as he is in any of his movies from the 2011-2014 "McConassance". In a very short period of time he has became one of the most exciting actors working today. Good for him.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 6

#20. Frozen

Posted Image

Review- Frozen to me felt much like Les Miserables with its overload of songs that I was not expecting. It is definitely not even as close as the miserable disaster Les Miserables was and this is because Frozen boosts a terrific animation and a heart warming story. Frozen is the Scream of fairytales animations films. The film constantly jabs at the rules for fairytales especially when Anna wants to marry Hans after knowing him less than a day (classic fairytale plot line) and Elsa is like "what the f*ck bitch...you are weird as sh!t". The biggest hold back was the music. It was straight up annoying with the exception of Elsa's main song. 

On a side note: Elsa is hot. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

19. Oz: The Great and Powerful

Posted Image

Review- With breathtaking visual effects, great cast, and a thrilling plot line, Oz: The Great and Powerful is the strongest of the Disney live action blockbusters (outside of  the world of Pirates and Avengers). It has a very talented cast and while they might not have all performed at their best potential, the acting is above par when compared to most Disney live-action blockbusters. The 3D was very well done and I didn't get a headache afterward like I do for most non-animated 3D films. I am definitely anticipating a sequel! 

• Like 2

#18. The Wolf of Wall Street

Posted Image

Review- After repeated viewings this film has grown on me more but  it is still nothing stunning or amazing like everybody on here is making it out to be. It doesn't stand out of the crowd. The overload of drugs and shit gets kind of boring after a while. I wasn't offended by the any of the language, drugs or sex. I liked how this film pushed the limits of the R-rating and I also thought the acting was good. Leonardo Di Caprio I didn't like that much the first time I saw this but after seeing it again and seeing more films from this year I think he should get the Oscar for best performance for a male actor. He deserves it even though I hate him outside of Inception. Overall I think this film is above par film but definitely very very overrated. The long running time also hurts the film because it just long long and kind of dull. Sorry Baumer :(

#17.World War Z

Posted Image

Review- One of the few films that lives up to the book it is based off, World War Z is surprisingly an excellent summer blockbuster that is filled with solid acting, great action sequences, and a nail-biting script. The Jerusalem zombie attack was fantastic and simply stunning. I loved the new take on zombies in this film and it made them a whole ton more scarier. Being a huge fan of the book I knew that I was going to like the movie but I am surprised how much I loved it. 

• Like 1

#16. Iron Man 3

Posted Image

Review- Iron Man 3 lives up to the high expectations of fans following The Avengers thanks to great action sequences, humanization of its hero, and a healthy dose of much needed humor. Iron Man 3 is much better than Iron Man 2. I loved how Iron Man became humanized in this film. His pride has been checked after New York but he still is funny and throws out one liners. Also the actor who played the boy did a really good job as well. I am excited to see what they are going to do with Avengers 2 since Iron Man is done being Iron Man. 

• Like 1