Jack Nevada

Festival de Cannes 2014

Don't forget Zvyagintsev's Leviathan . The movie has screened for buyers and there is a lot of buzz around it. Jake Howell of MCN tweeted that Leviathan is the best movie in the competition.

I wonder if Leviathan will be to controversial to touch by the jury.

1. Leviathan is getting good response so far. You never know what the jury will go for when there is no obvious frontrunner.

2. Sils Maria trailer just dropped. I can see the jury going for it if the movie is good enough.

• Like 1

now that i read more tweets its unlikely to win awards. too many detractors with 'simple, boring, downgrade from Elena' comments 

pity

Good that he did smth new tho. really looking to see it myself  :wub:

Bow onto  the Binoche movie :wub:

but KStew ugh

she's always the same 

edit

lol just for me the tweets absolutely praise KStew  :D

Edited by Tauriel

Don't think Leviathan or Sils Maria are winning the palme. Leviathan apparently isn't what the jury likes and apparently a very anglophone stanned movie; this is from what I've heard from people at the Palais. And Sils Maria doesn't seem to have the reviews. Palms probably between Ceylan, Dolan and the Dardennes.

Palms probably between Ceylan, Dolan and the Dardennes. 

this

& Timbuktu can sneak in

pls pls Foxcatcher men! crossing fingers & lightning candles :worthy:

also read up on 'The Search'  :puke:  :puke: will avoid this offensive sh like a plaque

Edited by Tauriel

I am surprised by the reviews KStew is getting. Good for her.

If it is between Ceylan and Dolan then I think Ceylan wins the Palme and Dolan will get the director. Marion Cotillard will win Best Actress for Dardennes. Godard is the wild card. He is 83 and it is unlikely that he will return to Cannes competition. Will the jury just completely ignore a giant like him ?

guess its how dare kristen stewart not live up to our scorn of her acting abilities ? 

not every actor is everyone's cup of tea ! i've always liked her and seen many of her indie films and she's really good but my opinion is only mine ,i'm happy some media are finally realizing there's no point in being obtuse and give her credit when credit is due 

• Like 1

If it is between Ceylan and Dolan then I think Ceylan wins the Palme and Dolan will get the director. Marion Cotillard will win Best Actress for Dardennes. Godard is the wild card. He is 83 and it is unlikely that he will return to Cannes competition. Will the jury just completely ignore a giant like him ?

hmm Godard can get director & Mommy can take Juri prize 

• Like 1

I'm thinking lifetime achievement for Godard.

ah i forgot about that award possibility!

that would be a win win

Huh. I'm not a fan of Zvyagintsev at all, but that sounds pretty intriguing. 

As for possible controversy, well, "abuse of power" is sorta kinda an issue here these days, no?

aw too bad 

Imo 'the Return' is a masterpiece.  

Maybe I'm a cynic but I never believed in fair judging (not here nor in any other country)

& it was reinforced after the recent loss @ court against the major construction company (& even before we started to collect signatures from the nearby houses we knew we'd lose  :lol: )

Money+power=instant win. It's a given :unsure:

What's your fav local directors btw??

& those raves from Variety etc actually made me less excited about the film

this gem especially

given how convincingly it articulates something that’s been on all our minds lately: Man, Russia’s messed up.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/cannes-will-leviathan-win-the-palme-dor-1201190013/

Idk to laugh or scratch my head. i can see this guy patting himself on the back

So smug & superior  :rotfl: I totally hink the jury might give it some award.

this film seems to have some cliches along the likes of regular HW blockbusters with vodka & all

I sure hope that he didnt stoop so low as to make a unsubtly & formulaic film :(

Edited by Tauriel

aw too bad 

Imo 'the Return' is a masterpiece.  

Maybe I'm a cynic but I never believed in fair judging (not here nor in any other country)

& it was reinforced after the recent loss @ court against the major construction company (& even before we started to collect signatures from the nearby houses we knew we'd lose  :lol: )

Money+power=instant win. It's a given :unsure:

Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean we should just put up with it. And just because there's corruption somewhere else doesn't mean we shouldn't expose and fight it here. 

What's your fav local directors btw??

Sergei Loban is the best living filmmaker we have right now, IMO. Chapiteau-show is easily my favorite Russian film of the past 10 years. Dust is great too.

Aleksey Popogrebskiy, Mikhail Segal are other good ones. Not sure if Kira Muratova even counts these days, but anyway, she's fantastic. I haven't yet seen Hard to Be a God, but each of German's first four films is either a masterpiece or close to being one. There have been some good debuts recently - I liked Mayor and Private Parts, and loved Winter Journey, I hope their directors all go on to make something equally good or better.

& those raves from Variety etc actually made me less excited about the film

this gem especially

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/cannes-will-leviathan-win-the-palme-dor-1201190013/

Idk to laugh or scratch my head. i can see this guy patting himself on the back

So smug & superior  :rotfl: I totally hink the jury might give it some award.

this film seems to have some cliches along the likes of regular HW blockbusters with vodka & all

I sure hope that he didnt stoop so low as to make a unsubtly & formulaic film :(

Neither Zvyagintsev nor corruption in today's Russia are subtle, so I don't necessarily see a problem there. Nothing in that article struck me as wrong, either. I don't know where you got clichés out of, unless it was from other reviews (I haven't read most of them).

How some prominent International critics are rating the movies -

http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes

i sincerely doubt that godard's film is the best of the lot.

oh, and the dardennes are up there too. more adequate but bland and wholly unambitious filmmaking that seems to get the european critics salivating cuz it's all 'bressonian' or something

i sincerely doubt that godard's film is the best of the lot.oh, and the dardennes are up there too. more adequate but bland and wholly unambitious filmmaking that seems to get the european critics salivating cuz it's all 'bressonian' or something

Apichatpoll is a Godard poll. Most critics on there are Godards so nothing interesting here.