Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

I'm sorry but this whole new trend of a movie winning Best Picture at the Oscars and almost nothing else is bullshit. It pissed me off last year with Argo and it will piss me off again this year if it happens with 12YAS. Gravity is locked to win over half a dozen awards, and is getting close to a lock for Director as well. How in the hell then does it not deserve to win BP too? It makes zero sense. A movie is not the best picture if it isn't the best anything else.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Earlier I said I think if there were 5 they would be-Slave, AH, Gravity with the last 2 being something like Wolf and Philips.Well now I think Dallas would be in the final 2 with possibly Philomena. (Remember Harvey did manage to get the Reader in)

Or Nebraska as it does have a screenplay, director and acting nods.

I'm sorry but this whole new trend of a movie winning Best Picture at the Oscars and almost nothing else is bullshit. It pissed me off last year with Argo and it will piss me off again this year if it happens with 12YAS. Gravity is locked to win over half a dozen awards, and is getting close to a lock for Director as well. How in the hell then does it not deserve to win BP too? It makes zero sense. A movie is not the best picture if it isn't the best anything else.

Argo didn't win almost nothing else. It was the 2nd most rewarded film of the night. If you want to talk serious about the flaws with the Oscars, go do your homework, take a few film courses and come back please when we can hold a real conversation without false claims. 

In fact, the last time the BP winner wasn't either #1 or a very close 2nd (1 less than the winner), at the 50th Academy Awards in 1977 when Annie Hall won BP with only 4 awards and Star Wars topped the night with 6 competitive wins and 1 special award. And it was the year before that, when Rocky won that the BP winner was the 3rd most awarded of the night and that was still only 1 award behind the most lauded movies. And recently, the BP winner's only been the 2nd most award twice. 2004 for Million Dollar Baby (4 to the Aviator's 5) and in 2012 for Argo (3 to Life of Pi's 4). So, if you're the most award movie of the night or a very close 2nd, you clearly aren't "winning Best Picture at the Oscars and almost nothing else" as you so eloquently put it. 

And your logic makes no sense either. Why should winning a bunch of awards entitle Gravity to win BP? I am on the Gravity train, because IMO it is the best movie nominated with a shot of winning, but just because it has the best visual effects, direction and etc. that doesn't mean that it pulls together to become the best movie of the year. That's saying that someone with 100% in a few subjects and mediocre in other subjects is the best student over someone who consistently gets 95-99% in almost, if not, everything. 

So really, this trend has never existed or if you're going off just last year, which really isn't what you claim it is (Argo won Editing and Screenplay, both of which are HUGE awards), it really isn't a trend at all. I don't know how you can claim it is. It's quite absurd. 

Earlier I said I think if there were 5 they would be-Slave, AH, Gravity with the last 2 being something like Wolf and Philips.Well now I think Dallas would be in the final 2 with possibly Philomena. (Remember Harvey did manage to get the Reader in)

Or Nebraska as it does have a screenplay, director and acting nods.

I doubt it. The Reader had Direction as well, and Philomena didn't. But I do agree that Dallas probably was in the top 5. I'm thinkign AH, Gravity, Slave, Dallas and Nebraska. Scorsese as lone director sounds about right to me, especially since Schoomaker didn't get the Editing nod. 

Edited by riczhang

Lol at riczhang with his panties all in a twist. :lol: Calm down, not like I attacked Meryl Sheep or something.

Oh. Now you're in for it. :P

But seriously. Your logic makes negative sense and it's frankly insulting to the institution. 

Edited by riczhang

Argo didn't win almost nothing else. It was the 2nd most rewarded film of the night. If you want to talk serious about the flaws with the Oscars, go do your homework, take a few film courses and come back please when we can hold a real conversation without false claims. 

In fact, the last time the BP winner wasn't either #1 or a very close 2nd (1 less than the winner), at the 50th Academy Awards in 1977 when Annie Hall won BP with only 4 awards and Star Wars topped the night with 6 competitive wins and 1 special award. And it was the year before that, when Rocky won that the BP winner was the 3rd most awarded of the night and that was still only 1 award behind the most lauded movies. And recently, the BP winner's only been the 2nd most award twice. 2004 for Million Dollar Baby (4 to the Aviator's 5) and in 2012 for Argo (3 to Life of Pi's 4). So, if you're the most award movie of the night or a very close 2nd, you clearly aren't "winning Best Picture at the Oscars and almost nothing else" 

as you so eloquently put it. 

And your logic makes no sense either. Why should winning a bunch of awards entitle Gravity to win BP? I am on the Gravity train, because IMO it is the best movie nominated with a shot of winning, but just because it has the best visual effects, direction and etc. that doesn't mean that it pulls together to become the best movie of the year. That's saying that someone with 100% in a few subjects and mediocre in other subjects is the best student over someone who consistently gets 95-99% in almost, if not, everything. 

So really, this trend has never existed or if you're going off just last year, which really isn't what you claim it is (Argo won Editing and Screenplay, both of which are HUGE awards), it really isn't a trend at all. I don't know how you can claim it is. It's quite absurd.

So when you were going on about Gravity and the BAFTAs and DGA and whatnot, there's some wishful thinking in there too? You were getting my hopes up.

And what did you think of Stranger by the Lake?

Edited by lab276

So when you were going on about Gravity and the BAFTAs and DGA and whatnot, there's some wishful thinking in there too? You were getting my hopes up.And what did you think of Stranger by the Lake?

A bit, I suppose. I still think Gravity wins Picture. I believe in it and I think the AMPAS will vote for it. (And it's also helpful that its biggest competitors are either experiencing backlash or is predominantly African American (and yes, I am banking on a little bit of Hollywood Racism to kick in)). 

I think the bottom line is that Cuaron's got the DGA locked. We'll hear his name called tomorrow, 100%. For the BAFTAs, I think that Cuaron's got the Director award locked up again. I think that picture can swing either way with 12YAS or Gravity and we'll have a very good idea which one will win BP at the Oscars by the time they present British Film, which is the 1st award at the BAFTAs. 

And i loved Stranger by the Lake. My number 7 of the year. 

Who actually deserves to win:

Best picture: 12 YEARS A SLAVE

Best actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 YEARS A SLAVE

Best actress: Cate Blanchett - BLUE JASMINE

Best director: Alfonso Cuaron  - GRAVITY

Best supporting actor: Michael Fassbender - 12 YEARS A SLAVE

Best supporting actress: Lupita Nyong'o - 12 YEARS A SLAVE

Best original screenplay: HER

Best adapted screenplay: BEFORE MIDNIGHT

Best cinematography: GRAVITY

Best original score: GRAVITY

Best original song: "The Moon Song" from HER