Vanilla

Brazil (1985)

Brazil (1985)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It !

One of the more bizarre experiences I've had watching a film, and I mean that in the best way possible.It's kind of hard to describe to others. This is certainly the type of film that you either go all-in and enter Brazil's world, or resist and end up with a meh experience. As for me, I've only seen this once and it's already hard to keep the word "classic" from continually popping up in my head.Creative ambition at its best.

The mid-80s were full of studios hacking up prestigious movies with the full international cuts being acclaimed and the truncated domestic releases getting utterly panned.Once Upon a Time in America and this are two of the most egregious examples.Brilliant movie that goes for the jugular.

The mid-80s were full of studios hacking up prestigious movies with the full international cuts being acclaimed and the truncated domestic releases getting utterly panned.Once Upon a Time in America and this are two of the most egregious examples.Brilliant movie that goes for the jugular.

Yeah, the story behind the release of BRAZIL is almost as good as the movie itself.

• Like 1

a near perfect realisation of gilliam's aesthetic and humour. there were maybe times when you thought it sidled up a bit too close to hollywood, but mostly it remained that perfect distance as to be ironic. and where most future worlds are presented as efficient, clean and shiny, this one, despite its wacky surrealism, captures a far more realistic possibility where everything works about as well as necessary to prevent everything from collapsing upon itself, and that's it. perfect ending.

On the one hand, it's packed with great, interesting stuff. On the other hand, it's SO packed with great and interesting stuff that at a certain point it really starts bursting at the seams and becomes pretty damn exhausting to watch. I admire the hell out of it, but with one viewing behind me, I don't really love it. 

• Like 1

Gilliam's a bit hit-and-miss for my taste but Brazil, wow ... Brazil, you know, this film just lifts off and off and off and if it comes down it touches the ground running nearly as fast. Touching AND weird like the best parts of Gaiman's Sandman, and spinning through lough-out-loud funny and awe-inspiring and complete desolation and STILL not breaking apart.

• Like 2