Dark Jedi Master 007

The Classic Movie Club: First Film-ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)

Very interesting choice. Is that the film that was used against Polanski in his infamous trial? I remember his movies were used against him as evidence of his creepiness (which he is, but not because of his films), so I'm just asking

No, but the death of his wife to the Manson cult occurred a year after so Roman Polanski is definitely an interesting character. I agree that his actions make him a creep, not Rosemary's Baby or Chinatown

one of my all time favorites. you don't really get movies that slowly build atmosphere in the way this one does any more. farrow's performance is an all-timer too.the ending makes me laugh though. i don't know what it is. all those old manhattanites screaming "hail satan!"...

• Like 1

Finally saw The Dirty Dozen today! I must say after the first 20 minutes, it's a fairly compelling war film. I did enjoy how it treads the line between comedy and drama. Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine were great, and the rest of the cast was solid. While watching, I noticed how it essentially serves as a bridge between old (a mission to stop Nazis) and new Hollywood (more violence, language, etc). Overall, it was a slightly bloated but satisfying film. A solid climax that builds up rather than throw everything at you at once. 8/10 for me (until a 2nd viewing)

• Like 1

Must admit, horror is not my thing. (Unless its The Thing in which case its freakin awesome) But hopefully I'll watch the movie sometime later today.

It's not horror as you would normally think of, it's incredibly creepy and scary, but not in a "Boo!  Got ya!" type of way that most horror movies are like now.

The great thing about ROSEMARY'S BABY is that it taps so easily into quiet urban paranoia. When you're first moving into a neighborhood, and especially if you're just starting out with your career or your adult life, it's easy to feel like you're an outsider... and RB just takes that concept a few steps further.

Rosemary's Baby is actually one of those films that I have never actually seen, or don't remember seeing it.  Embarrassing?  Yep.  I'm a big horror fan and this is one of the iconoclastic films in that genre.  But it's just something I never got around to seeing.  

I'm glad this club chose Rosemary's Baby first.  Forced me to go out and rent it.

• Like 2

Ok, turns out I have seen it because I have my grade on imdb.  So I must have seen it when I was younger, but don't remember much about it.  

I'm half way through it and will finish it tonight.  I have read nothing about it and am watching it as if it were my first time.  My initial thoughts, I assume spoilers are fair game here?

My initial thought is that Guy is using the neighbours as a way to further his career.  Fallen Angel, the novel that Angel Heart was based on, was obviously written way after this film came out.  It seems to have drawn inspiration from this film.  But it is said all throughout the beginning of the film that Guy is a semi successful actor but only in plays and commercials.  It seems like the trade off here is that he gives up the baby and in the process he gets famous.

So far, as others have mentioned, it's not scary but it is like Psycho.  It's a slow burn and tells a story and although it's not scary, it is creepy.  The dream sequences are very well done.  I'm kind of shocked at how hot Mia Farrow is in the first half of the film as well.  Before she cuts her hair into that ridiculous bowl cut, she's quite the looker.  Plenty of nudity as well, which was another surprise.

I'll finish this tonight.

I'll talk more about RB later, but I wanted to chime in on DIRTY DOZEN (which somehow I never saw before). It felt a bit dated, but it was still fairly entertaining (though in my book a cut below other 60s WWII classics like GREAT ESCAPE or GUNS OF NAVARONE). It felt like DD was a bridge between older, "cleaner" war movies (which didn't show gore or hint at the nastier elements of war) and the more modern, darker war films we now expect today. (In this respect it's similar to Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, which covered similar ground for Westerns.) Also, with a lot of these older ensemble movies the acting is a real mixed bag. You can really see why the big stars are so good -- they're totally charismatic and their performances still work today. Marvin, Bronson, and Cassavetes were standouts -- Sutherland and Savalas a bit more campy and over the top, but still good. The rest of the dozen.... Journeyman guys that didn't stand out. I also wasn't expecting so much time spent on the training and mission prep. A little of that tended to go a long way; it felt episodic and was only sporadically entertaining. But the mission itself was very well-done, for the most part. I can see why it was a big hit when it was released -- fighting back against authority is always extremely satisfying.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

The best and scariest horror movie ever, for me (and i am a diehard horror fan). Fantastic acting from everybody, amazing plot and by far the creepiest soundtrack ever . Just the starting credits with the LALALALALALALALALA kid's song scares the hell out of me . I can watch movies with tons of gore, serial killers, monsters everything and i am oblivious to being scared or shocked by any movie (and that includes a lot of cult shit) but RB just does it for me and i have to be in the right mood to watch it . The most statanic, diabolical film ever .

As for DD just the scene where al the inmates are in line on the beginning of the film makes this better than any other war movie and makes shit like inglorious bastards laughable . Telly Savallas, John Cassavetes, Charles Bronson,Jim Brown, donald sutherland e.t.c all with lee marvin as their leader and ernest borgine as the higher in command . This is really a case "they don't make them like they used to"

Edited by Thrylos 7