JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

$14m is locked. I wonder if $15m is possible. 

If Tenet sees the kind of legs its seen elsewhere in australia i think 15m is very much on the cards.

For reference 2 weeks ago, the remainder of the country did around 125k over a weekend without victoria.  I would argue, last weekends result acted like an opening weekend in victoria and i'd say looking at numbers did just under 500k (say 490k ?) in victoria on it's own, probably meaning victoria did around 430k - 440k over the weekend just gone. and we ar enow effectively up to 13.5m  Lets be nice and give the remainder of the country about 300k (outside of Victoria).  Looking at the numbers so far since victoria opened i have a total of just over 1m within victoria whith a weekend just gone of 430k.  Tough to predict but from here assuming a 20% drops here on out for the next 3 weeks (pre-Christmas) which gives an additional total of around 1.2m - 1.3m.  so i have 13.5 + 0.3m + 1.2m = 15m.  

Yeah looking at this 15m looks on the cards here... i think we land around 15.2m - 15.4m from here.

• Like 1

I didn't know that.  Tenet is showing on 1 of only 13 cinemas that can show the film on IMAX 1570mm.  Nolan recording a special intro for all those who see the film on 1570mm film in Victoria which apparently was what the film was recorded on and how Nolan intended it.

see the link to Inside Film below.

https://www.if.com.au/christopher-nolans-message-to-victorian-cinemagoers/

:ohmygod:

• Like 1

Another note - also, Victorian cinemas were limited to 20 seats per cinema still and we got those numbers... As of today that limit is increased to 150 max now pending other factors such as actual capacity etc. but we could well see Tenet either flat in or even increase in Victoria and i'm hearing that IMAX in victoria is sold out for weeks at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't say I don't feel some despair whenever I look at the release schedule, because at first glance it really looks like slim pickings. But that's only true of big Hollywood movies, it's not like nothing is being released. Just based on the posters and descriptions, all of these movies I think I'll probably go and see, sorted by release date:

Nov 26

Possessor

Dec 3

Violet Evergarden

Dec 10

The Witches

The Furnace

Dec 26

The Croods 2

WW84

Jan 1

Monster Hunter

The Dry

Jan 14

Ammonite

Jan 21

Synchronic

I have seen trailers for The Witches (actually the first I'd heard of the film, and I thought it looked pretty good), The Croods 2, WW84 and Monster Hunter (also the first time I'd heard of it). But for all the others, I'm going by how interesting the Poster looked, or even the name, and the synopsis. I'm basically going to go into those movies blind. I understand that for a lot of people it's not the movies or perceived lack thereof that will deter normal people from them, but the cost. For me, all the money I'm going to spend on these movies is completely worth it, but for someone else, they might as well just be Netflix releases.

I am getting some anxiety at the state of the box office and in particular the complete dumpster fire that is America which is hampering the cinemas here, whenever I read articles like this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-15/cinemas-hope-big-movies-save-box-office-takings-during-covid-19/12854268

So I'm getting even more motivated then I might normally be to actively support our cinemas. I daresay that cinemas will always survive, but in several years time they might only end up showing arthouse films, film festivals, cult classics and not much else. And when you live in a place like outer western Sydney, like me, I'm not exactly filled with confidence that I will always have a cinema close by. I live in the land of the multiplex, not the arthouse cinema.

There's nothing much I can do really, other than see as many films as I can. 

On 11/24/2020 at 12:12 AM, JJ-8 said:

I didn't know that.  Tenet is showing on 1 of only 13 cinemas that can show the film on IMAX 1570mm.  Nolan recording a special intro for all those who see the film on 1570mm film in Victoria which apparently was what the film was recorded on and how Nolan intended it.

see the link to Inside Film below.

https://www.if.com.au/christopher-nolans-message-to-victorian-cinemagoers/

:ohmygod:

He did that for the final screening at IMAX Sydney. 

Well tenet is certainly getting a second breath thanks to Victoria.  Still sad to see the numbers so low but it could be a lot worse.  Like others I am looking at going back to cinemas too. Hopefully the recent changes here (borders reopening  and lack of cases) will bring confidence back and people in cinemas)

Millionaire films since the reopening, sorted by release date:

July 2

The Personal History ofDavid Copperfield 1.5m

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarves 1.47m

July 16

The King of Staten Island 1.24m

July 30

Unhinged 3.69m

The Secret Dare to Dream 1.06m

August 13

Made in Italy 1.43m

August 27

Tenet 13.71m

Trolls World Tour 8.1m

September 3

New Mutants 1.53m

September 10

After We Collided 3.22m

Paw Patrol: Jet to the Rescue 1.69m

Bill and Ted Face the Music 1.1m

September 17

The Secret Garden 3.08m

September 24

Cats and Dogs 3 Paws Unite 1.44m

October 1

Antebellum 1.01m

October 22

Honest Thief 2.8m

October 29

Rams 3.53m

November 12

Freaky 1.19m

I think that's all of them so far.

• Like 2

just took a quick look at tickets selling at chermside (pretty close to QLD's biggest site) and War with Grandpa (new film this weekend), is selling between > 40% of tickets for each showing (Gold Class were showing probably around 70% or more sold.

howevewr as I said this is in QLD - i looked at George St in Sydney and tickets sold were like around 20% at best.

Does anyone have the list of the biggest selling cinemas in Auistralia at the moment ?  Be interesting to see th ebreakdown at the moment.  I feel like given QLD has fully reopened now (cinemas are allowed to sit 100% as I as I understand the rules here)  Sydney i think still sits @ 50% while i'm pretty sure victoria is still less than that allowed and SA is still closed last i checked.

TENET

Week 0: $1,485,951

Week 1: $3,161,346

Week 2: $2,057,581 (-35%)

Week 3: $1,376,020 (-33%)

Week 4: $1,108,737 (-19%)

Week 5: $989,378 (-11%)

Week 6: $818,605 (-18%)

Week 7: $438,933 (-46%)

Week 8: $258,323 (-41%)

Week 9: $193,223 (-25%)

Week 10: $135,390 (-30%)

Week 11: $123,563 (-9%)

Week 12: $790,290 (+539%)

Week 13: $748,724 (-5%)

Week 14: $733,568 (-2%)

Total: $14,419,587

Box office and trend is better than what I had expected with reopening of Victoria. A 30% weekly drop will see it at $16.1mn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

just took a quick look at tickets selling at chermside (pretty close to QLD's biggest site) and War with Grandpa (new film this weekend), is selling between > 40% of tickets for each showing (Gold Class were showing probably around 70% or more sold.

howevewr as I said this is in QLD - i looked at George St in Sydney and tickets sold were like around 20% at best.

Does anyone have the list of the biggest selling cinemas in Auistralia at the moment ?  Be interesting to see th ebreakdown at the moment.  I feel like given QLD has fully reopened now (cinemas are allowed to sit 100% as I as I understand the rules here)  Sydney i think still sits @ 50% while i'm pretty sure victoria is still less than that allowed and SA is still closed last i checked.

War with Grandpa isn't really a George Street movie though, but it was doing alright in some of the suburban locations I looked at (I didn't work out percentages though). Then there's like Chinese movies that do well in places like Burwood and Hurstville, and Indian movies that do well in Parramatta and Violet Evergarden, the anime movie, actually sold out a George Street session and did alright in Livo and Burwood too. Different streets do well with different films.

Edited by lab276