JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Possible but it will be hard. The Hobbit does have one advantage... holidays.... TA made 13m after a 6m OD on wednesday...I would hope the Hobbit can make as much as 16m over the weekend after pretty much the same OD. Even better it will get a lot more midweek business next week.. (looking for it to play out closer to potter than TA over this weekend.. after that well anyones guess but 45m should be a given already with 50m a good lookin.)For comparisonLOTR: FOTR made 4.1m OD and the followed with a 9.7m OW.(13.8m running total after the weekend) - final of 47mLOTR: TTT made 5.2m OD and a 14.1m OW (includes the OD) - final of 45mLOTR: ROTK made 5.2m OD and a 12.7m OW (3 days only of play due to boxing day being on a friday) - final of 49mnow TH: AUJ made 5.9m OD..so using fellowship: 14m OW & 67m finalso yeah 55m is very possible.

• Like 1

I'm still not 100% confident with $50m.Given the compared-to-LOTR poor WoM, legs could be its downfall.A big opening was basically a given here.

as i said possible, but not given.. i think 45m is about the only thing i'm willing to lock in at the moment. unless it falls of the face of the earth, i think think it will go under that. but it's not much of a stretch for 50m from there. the holidays just play too much in it's favour here for it not to get that high.

ok here is the chart from boxing day according to that article.....1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 5.925m2. Les Miserables - 1.825m3. Wreck it Ralph - $ unknown at this stage but is running third.

3-WIR 1.160m4-PG 580k5-Sky 480ktH1 was expected top at 5 & LM 1.2 so both better than expected, the day of cause was biggest Boxing day ever 11m(prev 09), interesting even with increased product against TH1 opening compared to FOTR that only had Minc and HP wk5 as main titles TH1 managed 54% bus(FOTR 55%)expectation on TH1 was 50m, given WOM perfomance in number of other countries and increased titles during Summer see how it plays out 45 should be min and 55 if it really holds which is not out of realm of possibility this summer overall is going to be huge, the matinee trade today is way dwn compared to LM, WIR is similar to BoxDay

3-WIR 1.160m4-PG 580k5-Sky 480ktH1 was expected top at 5 & LM 1.2 so both better than expected, the day of cause was biggest Boxing day ever 11m(prev 09), interesting even with increased product against TH1 opening compared to FOTR that only had Minc and HP wk5 as main titles TH1 managed 54% bus(FOTR 55%)expectation on TH1 was 50m, given WOM perfomance in number of other countries and increased titles during Summer see how it plays out 45 should be min and 55 if it really holds which is not out of realm of possibility this summer overall is going to be huge, the matinee trade today is way dwn compared to LM, WIR is similar to BoxDay

We're still getting close to selling out some sessions. Probably more that we were at capacity for most of the day for TH yesterday.How does this boxing day rank with attendance? Edited by Ball Lightning

Potter managed 53m and bled badly. Something I believe the hobbit can avoid. If my projection is good then 50m is probably locked. Frankly I think this could reach titanics 57m. But it needs legs for that.

Something else to consider. The hobbit has done this without any showings before 9am. Ie. no midnights. Which indicates excluding mids from potters daily this sold more $. Not only that but it was done considerably less screens 560 vs 754.