JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

For some reason the Canadian Box office never gets as big grosses.Films are always leggy here though...For example TA opened to 15.5 million weekend (biggest ever) and did 60 million (actually no one knows what it did lol, however it stayed flat on its 3rd weekend (which was a holiday weekend) so it much have broken past 50 million).Dh2 opened to 12.9 million and got 44 million.

For some reason the Canadian Box office never gets as big grosses.Films are always leggy here though...For example TA opened to 15.5 million weekend (biggest ever) and did 60 million (actually no one knows what it did lol, however it stayed flat on its 3rd weekend (which was a holiday weekend) so it much have broken past 50 million).Dh2 opened to 12.9 million and got 44 million.

TA was just over 60m
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if the 48fps has anything to do with it, but I LOVE the Entertainment Quarter IMAX - I actually prefer it to the real IMAX (or maybe I just haven't seen the right movie in it yet)

VMAX has full lounge seats with your own arm rest on either side. At the EQ the seats are together and you share the same arm rest. You notice the difference when an overweight individual with a big bucket of popcorn sits next to you. There also isn't that big of a difference in screen size.

Imax wise prefer Real :), Digital Imax tends to have a sharper image than regular cinema and quite often with bass the theatre does rumble at EQ, also if your not aware digital Imax runs two projectors simultaneouslyVmax screens are larger than EQ Imax several meters wider cant recall height

Imax wise prefer Real :), Digital Imax tends to have a sharper image than regular cinema and quite often with bass the theatre does rumble at EQ, also if your not aware digital Imax runs two projectors simultaneouslyVmax screens are larger than EQ Imax several meters wider cant recall height

Funny you say that - When I saw Avatar at EQ, the whole cinema would shake. Nothing has ever compared to it, although VMAX 1 (if that's the smaller one) at George St came close when I saw TKDR.

Fake, you expecting the hobbit to crash and burn then ? 10m to 11m weekend after a 5.9m OD would extremely to say the least underwelming. The Avengers managed 13m in april without the aid of holidays (the only holiday that weekend was on it's wednesday opening). The Hobbit enjoys full school holidays and one of the most lucrative times of the year. Even the extremely frontloaded Harry Potter which opened on the wednesday with 7m still managed 18m over the following 4 days for the weekend. 13m for me is bottom end here with 15m, 16m and even 17m if it finds some support are within range (I don't see the opening weekend record falling here.) under 11m would be to be blunt embarrasing for this film given it's opening day alone.

My guess wasn't so bad after all. :)

from the international report...The Hobbit made 18.6m USD (I think just over 18m is what that is equiv in AUD).So that should mean 5.9m OD and approx 12.1m OW. A little disappointing after the OD, but lets see where this can go from here... I still think that 45m is the base here but then i thought this would make 13m on the OW after that OD, so.... i'm not so sure about 50m though. possible but lets see how it plays out now. this week and weekend after are now very key...... (remember most of the country is on holidays... )for those interested in Les Mis... it made 8.3m USD so far... so the weekend should be around 6m AUD which is pretty strong i think. (though I'm not sure as the 8.3m USD includes boxing and previews.)

Edited by Jajang