JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

ok the upcoming schedule currently looks like this:

Predictions of OW totals in brackets.

5th Dec - Cloudy 2 (OW of 2 to 3m ?)

5th Dec - Enders Game (OW of 1m ?)

This weekend, i just don't see either of those being a major issue for CF.  Enders game is targeting a similar audience but i don' tthink it will be big enough to be an impact.

12th Dec - American Hustle (1m to 2m ?)

I'm seeing a bit of promotion for this lately, but i'm not sure this will be all that big here...   so limited impact again.

19th Dec - Anchorman 2 (3m - 4m ?)

I'm very surprised this has taken this weekend...   Yes it's on it's own here and i'd say given CF will be down enough by now, that Anchorman will take the weekend, but expect him to crash come boxing day... he will be swamped and i'm just not sure theres enough for this film to be very succussful (i agree with RTH 10m total at most ~ possibly a 3m OW ?)

Dec 26th - The hobbit 2 (14m - 18m ?)

Dec 26th - Frozen (5m - 8m)

Dec 26th - Walter Mitty (4m ?)

Dec 26th - Saving mr banks (2m ?)

i don't know if all those films can succeed together at this point.

The hobbit 2 is tough to predcict as it's promotion has been very good to date.  but is it enough to overcome the disappointing 1st film...   It is an outside shot of beating potters OW record but i'm not sure if can... the big advantage that the hobbit 2 has (like LOTR 2 did when it broke the OW record back in 2002), is it's OD falls on the thursday this year meaning it's included in the OW...

OD could be anywhere between 5m and 8m at this point i think. the rest will flow from there..

Frozen a few weeks i would not have predicted so much for.. but lately it's getting more and more buzz and could well become the goto film for families over christmas.  watch this space on this one.

walter mitty i'm really not sure on so i think 4m is possible but it could well drop back to 2m for all i know

Looking at this, outside of Enders Game which i don't see as serious competition, CF faces little competition in the lead up to christmas... however on boxing day it faces a daunting task to still earn.. though it should be low enough that the impact will be minimal.

I was kidding BTW, its probably no more than 10

Love your trolling :D 

And last night at work Cloudy picked up quite a bit, but THG:CF is absolutely smashing it. Some amazing legs this weekend. 

Enders game only slightly behind Delivery Man. 

For Christmas I'm thinking TH2 will be bogged down by TH1 to begin with, but assuming its far superior to TH2 I see a nice overall increase. Maybe only around $14m for me.

Frozen could explode. Personally I think $8m is reachable. People have been really excited for it everywhere, and the WOM from the US is slowly seeping in.

Thought Saving Mr Banks wasn't out until January? Interesting that Hobbit, Frozen and Walter Mitty are all Boxing Day. Would have one of them would move back a week.

There's always lots of movies opening on Boxing Day, last year it was The Hobbit, Wreck-it Ralph, Les Miserables and Parental Guidance.

well after this weekend that makes 12 films that opened in 2013 that have passed 20m (13 films if you include 2012 carryover) I've also been doing some comparisons, which i will post up later for Catching Fire... some very interesting results here.. given the hold we've just seen i've got it's base at 35m now.  the stretch is around 41m but it will take a strong run to get there. My current projections have catching fire finishing between 37m and 39m. To get these comparisons, i chose New Moon; BD Part II; Goblet of Fire; Death Hallows I; and the hunger games. both BD part 1 & THG have already fallen behind. goblet of fire clearly shows the film making past 35m at the moment.  CF had a bigger second weekend and it's cume is already 2.4m ahead.  though goblet has christmas nearly a week and half earlier. however, CF still has ground to make if it wants to reach new moon (38.7m) or DH Part 1. (42.3m)  current CF trails both films after the 2nd weekend by around 3m, but interestingly, CF outgrossed both films on their second weekend even though their openings were well ahead initially.  good signs for a 37m+ finish i think and an outside shot at 40m (and #1 for 2013) on the race for #1, CF's 2nd weekend did outgross the 2nd weekend of Iron Man 3 by nearly 600k but it also trails that film by nearly 5m so it's not going to be easy. - jajang

aside from the above,  the comparison to Iron Man 3 is quite interesting also:

Catching Fire currently trails Iron Man 3 by nearly 4m.  However, Catching Fire appears to be holding up better given it managed to earn 400k more than Iron Man 3 over it's third weekend.  And while Iron Man 3 did finish with just over 39m, it should be noted that Catching Fire has the Christmas / New Years boost in it's 6th weekend onwards (and should see reasonable drops given the holidays have just kicked off now too), which is something that Iron Man simply did not have.

Watch this space :)

• Like 2