JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

So today is extremely dead, even more so then most Christmases.. Hobbit tomorrow is still selling fast. Probably edging closer to $2m in presales. Frozen pretty slow for tomorrow, but it's more a walk up movie.Today frozen leads the new movies, Anchorman is #1 still and Philomena and Walter Mitty are dead..

So I just looked at sessions times of a large theater in Perth. It has 17 showtimes for DoS which are all nearly sold out! It ridiculous I'v never seen anything like it, especially morning to early afternoon sessions. This is going to have a very large opening day. I might not be able to get to see it today at my local theater. Session times for Frozen are decently packed, nothing like DoS though. 

• Like 1

DoS on track to equal or just beat the first. Though the 3D share is down to 35% here, compared to the firsts 65% at my site.So expect a softer number.Frozen already 10% higher then Wreck it Ralph in ticket sales at 3pm. Should finish way higher.

The two theaters around me have a lot more 3D showings than 2d showings. Matter of fact that 17 showing theater has only 5 in 2d!

DoS on track to equal or just beat the first. Though the 3D share is down to 35% here, compared to the firsts 65% at my site.So expect a softer number.Frozen already 10% higher then Wreck it Ralph in ticket sales at 3pm. Should finish way higher.

Great! Hopefully it's for Frozen to reach more than 25m total gross there.

Couldn't get a seat at Chermside I was happy with so I visited Garden City 10.15 session this morning for of course the Hobbit : Des of Smaug.

Loved it!

Easily better than the first hobbit film which i did enjoy despite it's faults.  This was a much better made film.  the end was a little annoying and abrupt but that's added to the film and made me want to see the third even more!

Essentially for me this has made the 2nd and 3rd hobbit films essentially 1 film split into 2.  The first film ended in a logical place where nothing was really left hanging... this on the other hand :)

Still not quite at the level of ROTK, but I rate this as good as the two towers, the middle chapter of LOTR.  

This is my ratings for the films:

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - 10 / 10

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - 9.5 / 10

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 9 / 10

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9 / 10

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8 / 10

DOS was an exciting ride that kept you there right till the end.  Unlike AUJ which slowed in the middle.  I really felt the ring was dealt with well, and the inclusion of Legolas, I thought was well done and suited the story line. The Gandalf story line also is giving us further links with the later films, which without i think may have made this no more than a story that was set within the same world (obviously excluding the fact the ring was found as part of this story of course)

To be clear I saw the film in 2D VMax but do plan to see the film again in HFR 3D.  (I saw the first film in 2D and HFR 3D also)

Session was about 80% full.  Chermside I'd say would have be running @ virtually 100% capacity all day (same for indooroopilly and carindale based upon what I saw on the 24th when i booked these tickets).

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 2

Couldn't get a seat at Chermside I was happy with so I visited Garden City 10.15 session this morning for of course the Hobbit : Des of Smaug.

Loved it!

Easily better than the first hobbit film which i did enjoy despite it's faults.  This was a much better made film.  the end was a little annoying and abrupt but that's added to the film and made me want to see the third even more!

Essentially for me this has made the 2nd and 3rd hobbit films essentially 1 film split into 2.  The first film ended in a logical place where nothing was really left hanging... this on the other hand :)

Still not quite at the level of ROTK, but I rate this as good as the two towers, the middle chapter of LOTR.  

This is my ratings for the films:

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - 10 / 10

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - 9.5 / 10

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - 9 / 10

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9 / 10

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8 / 10

DOS was an exciting ride that kept you there right till the end.  Unlike AUJ which slowed in the middle.  I really felt the ring was dealt with well, and the inclusion of Legolas, I thought was well done and suited the story line. The Gandalf story line also is giving us further links with the later films, which without i think may have made this no more than a story that was set within the same world (obviously excluding the fact the ring was found as part of this story of course)

To be clear I saw the film in 2D VMax but do plan to see the film again in HFR 3D.  (I saw the first film in 2D and HFR 3D also)

Session was about 80% full.  Chermside I'd say would have be running @ virtually 100% capacity all day (same for indooroopilly and carindale based upon what I saw on the 24th when i booked these tickets).

super happy u enjoyed it J!!

I actually like ROTK less than all other films (i know its a rather unpopular opinion :lol: )

How was the crowd's reaction? do they seem to love it?

• Like 1

super happy u enjoyed it J!!

I actually like ROTK less than all other films (i know its a rather unpopular opinion :lol: )

How was the crowd's reaction? do they seem to love it?

The general reaction was they loved it ... or so i thought :)

and now we wait for numbers :( lets hope RTH pays us a visit ;)

• Like 1

Loved it! 48 FPS was much was noticeable/in your face then the first.Definitely better pacing!At 9pm DOS was about 4% before AUJ in ticket sales, so it would probably have been slightly above in the end at my site. However the 3D is way down so expect a lower gross..Frozen was about 50% higher then Wreck it Ralph, but it had no 3D sessions (WiR had a 30% 3D rate here). So about a 40% increase there at my site.

• Like 1