JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

just looking at the weekly numbers and i think that frozen might be #1 this weekend as it appears it should outgross the hobbit 2 this weekend.  (possibly another low dip ?)  

i'm thinking frozen can get around 4m for the weekend and not sure that any of the openers are opening above 3m at the moment.  so frozen can reach the top spot after 3 weekends ?

• Like 1

SMB has been selling out entire sessions at my local theatre and that never happens.

But it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of sessions for a new release. Saw it today and quiet enjoyed it even thought it did take a few liberties with history.

But it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of sessions for a new release.Saw it today and quiet enjoyed it even thought it did take a few liberties with history.

Who cares about it taking a few liberties, so has every movie ever made based on a true story. It's the nature of art and I doubt you would say the same thing about something like The Wolf of Wall Street or Rush.

I agree though that it doesn't seem to be getting many sessions but that will change next week. It's not indicative of it's success.

Edited by pieman

just looking at the weekly numbers and i think that frozen might be #1 this weekend as it appears it should outgross the hobbit 2 this weekend.  (possibly another low dip ?)  

booo  :(

great that SMB seems to be doing well!

what about 'the Railway man' btw????

Edited by Tauriel

booo  :(

great that SMB seems to be doing well!

what about 'the Railway man' btw????

Saving Mr Banks is the kind of film that does well here.. but i don't see it opening above 3m here (possibly around 2m is my thoughts)

The Railway Man has done fairly well ... it's managed a fairly strong average even it is running 9th on the charts at the moment... 3.6m and counting (to COB wednesday)

• Like 1

Crazy weather down here. 43 yesterday, then thunderstorms rolled in and it got down to 29 at midnight, then it got hotter until it was 37 at 2am..And going up to 41 today again. Cinemas are absolutely packed.Frozen grossing huge numbers, saving my banks and American hustle are also pulling in the older crowds.

It's been fairly pleasant for weeks in Sydney.

I see everyone's slowly melting at the Aussie Open.  Last night they had drinks breaks half way through each half of the soccer.

Edited by DeeCee

No idea where BOM took those insane numbers from...

I think BOM has their exchange rate wrong!  

That's what has caused the silly numbers.... basically BOM are saying that the AUD is worth more than the USD, so unless the world has gone topsy turvy... lol

and according to BOM this is the top 10 films of 2013 as per their current exchange rate... whoop... CF is past 50m USD and watch DOS go in USD! #@$%#@%$#@!$%#$!%$#$!@@%

ok more seriously, i think we have a little f*ck up here :P

Rank Movie Title Distributor Gross Release
1 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Roadshow $52,613,619 11/21
2 The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug WB $43,044,674 12/26
3 Iron Man 3 Disney $36,164,486 4/25
4 Despicable Me 2 UPI $32,712,318 6/20
5 Frozen (2013) Disney $31,033,729 12/26
6 Gravity WB $28,893,055 10/3
7 Life of Pi Fox $28,420,882 1/3
8 The Great Gatsby (2013) Roadshow $25,282,416 5/30
9 Fast & Furious 6 UPI $24,693,368 6/6
10 The Croods Fox $23,752,747 3/28

Edited by Jajang
  • Like 1

And it's not like they've used an old rate or another country. I don't think the Aussie dollar has been that strong since it floated in the early 80's and looking at today's exchange rates it doesn't seemed to have been mixed up with another country. http://www.currency.me.uk/currency-rates.htmlI did something naughty in the main CF thread.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

And it's not like they've used an old rate or another country. I don't think the Aussie dollar has been that strong since it floated in the early 80's and looking at today's exchange rates it doesn't seemed to have been mixed up with another country.http://www.currency.me.uk/currency-rates.htmlI did something naughty in the main CF thread.

hehehe.... nice work!

nah it's much simpler than that... i believe that BOM used the correct exchange rate... just flipped it so that the Aussie battler was the stronger currency!  I am pretty sure the exchange rate was 1 AUD = 0.89 USD.... reverse that for frozen's total for the weekend (3.1m AUD and you get 4.8m USD rather than 2.7m USD ~ pretty sure BOM has 4.8m posted at the moment ... )  I get the feeling that the exchange rate has been reversed on a weekly basis to get to 52m ???? 

Edited by Jajang