baumer

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Probably the best thing to come out of the whole Apatow comedy wave, and one of the best studio comedies of the 2000s. It actually looks like they spent a good amount of money on it, it (mostly) feels thoughtfully written without endless improv scenes of people riffing/shouting at each other, Reilly owns the title role, and the songs are just fantastic. Its humor doesn't have the surgical precision of, say, This Is Spinal Tap, sometimes it's too clever for its own good, and I could have done without a couple distractingly recognizable faces (and yet, it's a shame they didn't think of having Tilda Swinton play Bowie), but as an epic parody that it sets out to be, it works better than most people, including me, would expect it to. Not sure I'll be able to watch Walk the Line with a straight face after this.

• Like 1