Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I have no idea why you arguing people spent more for there ticket. Thats pointless, TDK made IMAX what it is today, even you can agree with that. 

And im down! To bad it will take 3 years to find out who wins. 

There is the fun...Okay winner changes their picture and does a fun non insultive sig to the champs chosing.

If Avatar doesnt make more than 450M domestic you win.

And Avatar is aiming for 2015 Dec. .Jay thats likely 2 yrs :D

Hey being whipped is not just the thing we are loooking at. Even dvd sales for TDK were not huge Carlos.

When one movie outsells another  in 1 day what it did in 18mths thats an embarrassment.

And Blue Ray was big in 2008.  LOL

Blu-Ray was not big in 2008, at all. It represented maybe 10% of the market in 2008. DVD sales for TDK were undoubtedly huge. See this page and subsequent links to get an idea of Blu-Ray sales in 2008, they have breakdowns of each week in terms of marketshare between Blu-Ray and DVD.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/69563-nielsen-videoscan-2008-sales-metrics-thread-ratios-bestsellers-weekly-charts-etc-46.html

Avatar was big.  But honestly in fairness. "The Dark Knight" was a more bigger film from the jump as far as opening weekend.  "Avatar" ended up having more staying power but TDK had a great mutipiler too. Remeber, at the time "Avatar" couldn't top "I am Legend" December opening weekend.  When it came in at 75, most people had it finishing about 250 (they were wrong but it seemed logical at the time).  "Avatar" overall is the bigger film and it's box office run was historic.  But as someone who's followed Box Office since I was 18.  I'm still amazed by "TDK" run. I remember that 1st week and half it seemed sold out everyday. 

Film you forget Huge killer snow storms hit the entire eastern seaboard of the US..lol Look on youtube they show folks coming in storms to see Avatar.. Had no snow storms Avatar I would have had a 150-170M OW in DECEMBER!!!

TDK Run was awesome,,, but After Avatar nearly beat IAL in a major snow storms I might add again :P(The sucker brought thefolks back again in the snow storms lol)  2nd week  like 3%drop.... 3rd Weekend 68mil.

That is far superior run to TDK, far greater than a huge OW. As films were beating OWs every year pretty much.

Avatars 2nd wekend and 3rd weekend drops may never be beaten. And this was a mega movie not some film making a lil money.

Snow storms Avatar 80+M, 2nd Weekend Avatar almost the same amount 2nd weekend in th snow storms again!! WOW!!

• Like 1

Blu-Ray was not big in 2008, at all. It represented maybe 10% of the market in 2008. DVD sales for TDK were undoubtedly huge. See this page and subsequent links to get an idea of Blu-Ray sales in 2008, they have breakdowns of each week in terms of marketshare between Blu-Ray and DVD.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/69563-nielsen-videoscan-2008-sales-metrics-thread-ratios-bestsellers-weekly-charts-etc-46.html

Yes they were and the dvd sales of TDK paled in comparison too Though Carlos. You keep forgetting 2008-2009 is no huge gap. Anyway you want to look on it The Comparison on over HV and merchandising sales are  not comparable.

Avatar is for some a life changing experience, TDK is not that kind of film. Avatar will be remembered forever as a holy F@@@ moment in time , just like Titanic.

I have yet to get that experience from a comic film.

I trust no one ever will.  Never seen a movie experience that is Avatars equal when viewed the best way. And I was there

when SWS roled out and Superman I

Avatar was big.  But honestly in fairness. "The Dark Knight" was a more bigger film from the jump as far as opening weekend.  "Avatar" ended up having more staying power but TDK had a great mutipiler too. Remeber, at the time "Avatar" couldn't top "I am Legend" December opening weekend.  When it came in at 75, most people had it finishing about 250 (they were wrong but it seemed logical at the time).  "Avatar" overall is the bigger film and it's box office run was historic.  But as someone who's followed Box Office since I was 18.  I'm still amazed by "TDK" run. I remember that 1st week and half it seemed sold out everyday.  What shocked me most about Avatar's run was it's 1st  weekend holds were unbelieveable.  Only "Titanic" and "E.T" had great holds like that over that many weekends. 

Titanic there is no comparison. It had 12 or 13 weekends of being number 1. Titanic is definitely the ultimate one run king.

Adjusted to 1b+Domestic and proably 2B OS. lol.

No reruns necessary.. Batmans Run was impressive until Avengers happened..:D

Yes they were and the dvd sales of TDK paled in comparison too Though Carlos. You keep forgetting 2008-2009 is no huge gap. Anyway you want to look on it The Comparison on over HV and merchandising sales are  not comparable.

Avatar is for some a life changing experience, TDK is not that kind of film. Avatar will be remembered forever as a holy F@@@ moment in time , just like Titanic.

I have yet to get that experience from a comic film.

I trust no one ever will.  Never seen a movie experience that is Avatars equal when viewed the best way. And I was there

when SWS roled out and Superman I

I'm not really making a comparison to which is the bigger success, merely commenting that the situations differed wildly between TDK and Avatar when it came to home video sales. Some which benefit The Dark Knight, others which benefit Avatar.

Titanic there is no comparison. It had 12 or 13 weekends of being number 1. Titanic is definitely the ultimate one run king.

Adjusted to 1b+Domestic and proably 2B OS. lol.

No reruns necessary.. Batmans Run was impressive until Avengers happened.. :D

"Titanic" Is a Box Office God.  But "E.T." still holds the record for most weekends at #1, Most weekends in the Top 5 and Most weekends in the Top 10.  

I'm not really making a comparison to which is the bigger success, merely commenting that the situations differed wildly between TDK and Avatar when it came to home video sales. Some which benefit The Dark Knight, others which benefit Avatar.

Dvd sales were huge , Blue Rays were doing great numbers. 1 yr later avatar blows the markets away.

But it didnt take 18mths. Avatar blew the batman away in 1 day....That is insane.

There is the fun...Okay winner changes their picture and does a fun non insultive sig to the champs chosing.

If Avatar doesnt make more than 450M domestic you win.

And Avatar is aiming for 2015 Dec. .Jay thats likely 2 yrs :D

Naw, lets meet in the middle its not if im right or wrong.

Your predicting 800m! Lets make a deal TDK (2008) DOM total. 

Edited by Jay Salahi

Dvd sales were huge , Blue Rays were doing great numbers. 1 yr later avatar blows the markets away.

But it didnt take 18mths. Avatar blew the batman away in 1 day....That is insane.

No doubt it was an impressive number. I think both were excellent numbers for their hey day. Of course, when it comes to Blu Ray sales, Avatar's is more impressive. After all, it was a film that just screams 'Must own in high definition'

But it shouldn't diminish TDK's own achievements. Again, as I said, without TDK, Avatar wouldn't have done the numbers it did on Blu Ray. TDK along with Iron Man were two titles that helped propel adoption of Blu-Ray.

• Like 1

"Titanic" Is a Box Office God.  But "E.T." still holds the record for most weekends at #1, Most weekends in the Top 5 and Most weekends in the Top 10.  

Really  I thought Titanic had the most weekends being at top ? Are you sure Film scholar.

And actually I think Titan would adjust to 3billion OS. Making a crazy 1.2B OS in 1997 lol.. Titanic is definitely the BO God!!!

Geesus I stil lremember folks 15-85 screaming and clapping during this movie..Very humbling when a film maker affects all generations like that..

That is how I Knew Avatar would be the ultimate king and possibly hit my highend. Which no one thought was possible.

Shoot Also no Superhero film was so big , it commanded its own Special day shown in hundreds of theaters domestic and Worldwide.

now That is Big!!

Bigger  than LOTR an SWs big gang..

Freaking james Cameron had an Avatar Day!! LOl

Naw, lets meet in the middle its not if im right or wrong.

Your predicting 800m! Lets make a deal TDK (2008) DOM total. 

Chicken Chicken..:P Hah hah you dont believe in your own predictions.

I will  still go with that... Avatar 2 is ready for the challenge...

Null and Void if a weather disaster or something affecting attendance having nothing to dowith the movie of course.

JAy Vs the KAL

Jay says Batman has noooo limits and TDK will stay ontop of Avatar domestically

Kal Says destruction of the Batman's finest BO moment in time domestically.

We Dooggiiee Lets goooo.

Anyone else getting in this??

Avatar will grind TDK's domestic tally into dust!!!!

• Like 1

No doubt it was an impressive number. I think both were excellent numbers for their hey day. Of course, when it comes to Blu Ray sales, Avatar's is more impressive. After all, it was a film that just screams 'Must own in high definition'

But it shouldn't diminish TDK's own achievements. Again, as I said, without TDK, Avatar wouldn't have done the numbers it did on Blu Ray. TDK along with Iron Man were two titles that helped propel adoption of Blu-Ray.

I dont think thats true.. They helped, but even if it was DVD. This James Cameron Spectacle would have earth shattering outcome on format.. So I cant agree with that. I do agree we owe them for helping to solidfying BR, but the industry was going  to go with HD discs or BR discs regardless.

Avatar would have owned the market in whatever was the next big thing after DVD.

Are you coming into the battle with me and Jay. That Juggernaut 2015 wont top TDK domestic Tally..

LOl Jay is ballsy, but Pandora is coming to break Bats and Avengers 2

• Like 1

I dont think thats true.. They helped, but even if it was DVD. This James Cameron Spectacle would have earth shattering outcome on format.. So I cant agree with that. I do agree we owe them for helping to solidfying BR, but the industry was going  to go with HD discs or BR discs regardless.

Avatar would have owned the market in whatever was the next big thing after DVD.

Are you coming into the battle with me and Jay. That Juggernaut 2015 wont top TDK domestic Tally..

LOl Jay is ballsy, but Pandora is coming to break Bats and Avengers 2

Not gonna comment until the film actually leaves pre-production stage :)

• Like 1

I can see Avatar 2 getting 600m, 500m, 400m. Im not sure, but its dropping. Its a question of how much. 

But your on! Should be fun! 

Yes Sir Jay Still got love for you man, even though you wanting TDK to wipe the matt of the Juggernaut..GRRR

Enguardeeee Avatar 2 fans must break you..Lol

And man we going to have a heck of time.. Are you going to Avatar Day Part II(Special preview day that showed the Avatar I's immense Technology breakthroughs  for 16mins in August 2009) ..Im sure Fox and James will arrange for that crazy 1st time in history thing to happen again with this sequel

• Like 1

I can see Avatar 2 getting 600m, 500m, 400m. Im not sure, but its dropping. Its a question of how much. 

But your on! Should be fun! 

Well if James screws up, like our buddy FilmScholar  said hes due for one. You will win, but I believe inJames he will not go the way Speilberg, Lucas and Zemekis have gones with alot of their tentpoles.. James will go the distance!!! Hes too crazy not too..

lol

Edited by Superman001

Superman, I looked it up.  ET has the most "non-consecutive" Weekends at #1.  But "Titanic" hold the record for consecutive weekends. 

Oh cool, so we were both right :)..What do you think the high end will be for Avt2..Think the ultimate highend domestic

will crack 850-900M domestic?

Also are you getting in this war that TDK's domestic tally will remain unbeaten by Juggernaut 2015?? :)?

I sense epic destruction of Bats wings..  hee hee