Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

• Founder / Operator

Wrong movie for HFR. I really liked HFR but it's fantastic only for digital sets and creatures, which is what Avatar is. Seriously, if Cameorn shoots it in HFR it's going to be insane.Like unbelievably insane.

Ehh, The Hobbit had its fair share of digital sets and creatures too. Not as much as Avatar, I agree, but I can't recall even a single scene that worked well (for me) in HFR in Hobbit. And honestly, I think the fact that even Cameron has gone mum on the HFR stuff since the negative reactions toward it last year says something. I'm sure the format will find it's avenues, and I have little doubt he'll shoot it as "fast" as possible, but I really don't think it's bound for the same commercially successful fate as 3D was in theaters back in 2009.

Edited by ShawnMR

TH digital stuff looked great in HFR. Gollum especially looked like a real deal. Trouble is, no scene was particulary memorable and Goblin King was just gross. I couldn't help thinking how amazing Avatar would look though. We'll see. PR definitely hyped me for more Avatar.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

TH digital stuff looked great in HFR. Gollum especially looked like a real deal. Trouble is, no scene was particulary memorable and Goblin King was just gross. I couldn't help thinking how amazing Avatar would look though. We'll see. PR definitely hyped me for more Avatar.

If you mean no scene was particularly memorable in HFR, I agree. If in general, I disagree--namely the Gollum scene itself that you referenced. As good as anything in the first trilogy, IMHO.

I think Avatar will probably look stronger in HFR because of being a wholly digital environment, I just don't necessarily think that will translate to a large amount of audience/box office buzz yet.

Btw, it's quite remarkable how much picture you can get for a few hundred bucks (well, Euros) nowadays. I didn't want to spend a fortune on the TV as it's mainly for playing games. I'm planing to buy a 3D projector rather soonish (in time for the Hobbit extended edition) - that's the real deal .  B)

Btw, it's quite remarkable how much picture you can get for a few hundred bucks (well, Euros) nowadays. I didn't want to spend a fortune on the TV as it's mainly for playing games. I'm planing to buy a 3D projector rather soonish (in time for the Hobbit extended edition) - that's the real deal .  B)

Nice want one of those too when I get my first home....Oh hey friends it my bday today... Anyone wishing Kal a Happy Birthday? :D

Oh  I recommend Meet the millers. .Loved it

• Like 1

I totally agree. Problem is... I don't think 3D adds enough to the experience, either.

I totally agree. Problem is... I don't think 3D adds enough to the experience, either.

Growls at Shawn buddy!! Lol.. heyy now.. Dont forget the James Cameron Imax 3D experience. I still have seen its equal in theaters  or anywhere. Though those rides at Universal Studios must be the only thing that comes close. :). Avatar actually was the first film to truly give me a feeling im on a new planet ;0).. You liked another 3d film better Shawn?

If you mean no scene was particularly memorable in HFR, I agree. If in general, I disagree--namely the Gollum scene itself that you referenced. As good as anything in the first trilogy, IMHO.

I think Avatar will probably look stronger in HFR because of being a wholly digital environment, I just don't necessarily think that will translate to a large amount of audience/box office buzz yet.

Ahah, that will all change when Avatar trailers are launched my friend, especially when Avatar Day II is announced :) Mwhahahah.. The same audience will return and will bring new comers, we will see another mind altering run connected to James frakking Cameron. It is destiny ;)

Like for Avatar theaters were scrambling for 3D screens, I think if Cameron announces soon he will shoot in 60 fps, theaters will make the adjustments. They have 3 years to do so.

Like for Avatar theaters were scrambling for 3D screens, I think if Cameron announces soon he will shoot in 60 fps, theaters will make the adjustments. They have 3 years to do so.

I think so Neo and friends, even talks future avatars may push the smell and senses audience effects that popular 4D movie use like in Universal....If anyone can get chains to change to push things beyond imagination its Cameron and FOx thanks to what they have shown the world with the Juggernaut

I think so Neo and friends, even talks future avatars may push the smell and senses audience effects that popular 4D movie use like in Universal....If anyone can get chains to change to push things beyond imagination its Cameron and FOx thanks to what they have shown the world with the Juggernaut

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/avatar-available-to-watch-in-4d-but-only-in-korea/
  • Like 1

It is funny people are actually defending an inherent flaw of the medium that can now be corrected thanks to digital technology.

Strobing and flickering artefacts during panning shots are part of the magical experience of cinematography, man! Just like scratches and blur during fast movements, that's real cinema, man! Not that crisp and HD digital crap to make the experience more comfortable and neater for the eye, that's soap opera-ish fake cinema, dude! -_-

Chaplin and Melies would never have embraced HD, too clean and colourful! That's why they made B&W movies with lot of scratches because it's cooler and more "cinematographic looking".

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Strobing and flickering artefacts during panning shots are part of the magical experience of cinematography, man! Just like scratches and blur during fast movements, that's real cinema, man! Not that crisp and HD digital crap to make the experience more comfortable and neater for the eye, that's soap opera-ish fake cinema, dude! -_-

Chaplin and Melies would never have embraced HD, too clean and colourful! That's why they made B&W movies with lot of scratches because it's cooler and more "cinematographic looking".

Preach it Dashrendar the wise ;).... In Avatar our James will once again show the world how you kick it up a notch and wow audiences even more than the first.. He can bring such magic, from visuals, to the music to story.. That just gets folks mesmorized and wanting to spread the word that this film is the behemoth of all films to see. Worked everytime.. To the extreem with T2, Titanic  and Juggernaut 2009 :)

• Like 1