RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (3/28 - 3/30) Noah 44M Divergent 26.5

I 100 percent disagree. It's a franchise that's a bit down, but could easily be jump started.

While I think this is true...This Arnold starring reboot feels less like a jump start, and more like a grab at whatever water is left at the bottom of the well.Though I think the approach is totally sound...and has lots of potential. But I'm wary of its potential breakout success.

Verhoeven briefly considered directing a Conan movie with Arnold.

How dumb is the studio for not jumping all over that?

Verhoeven has directed a Hollywood movie since 2000 and is now 74 years old. Hollywood these days is all about finding young upcoming directors. So they will likely go with someone like that, if the movie happens.

Verhoeven has directed a Hollywood movie since 2000 and is now 74 years old. Hollywood these days is all about finding young upcoming directors. So they will likely go with someone like that, if the movie happens.

Yeah, Verhoeven ain't coming back.Though in response to that quote...I don't think Verhoeven ever considered doing a Conan movie.Instead, he had considered doing a movie calling Crusade starring Arnold, which certainly made one think of Conan on some level, even though it was far from it.Alas, such great things were to never happen.

Both Terminator Salvation and the Sarah Connor Chronicles showed audiences were tiring of the franchise. Which was actually a shame for the latter, because it was quite good.

The same was said about the Star Trek franchise, until they rebooted it. Remember Star Trek Nemesis only grossed 43 million in the US in 2002. So that's a perfect example of a franchise that people got sick of. But was restarted, when smart producers/writers/directors recasted  the original characters and used modern effects to make it a big popcorn summer action movie. Heck they even brought back Leonard Nimoy to play old Spock in a supporting role. The difference with Terminator Genesis, they will have Arnold as the lead. Since they will likely use CGI/Motion Capture for sections of the movie when his Terminator looks younger. Rather then totally recasting him at a younger age like in Star Trek. All in all these franchise and movies are only going to be as good as the people who are making them allow them to be. The Ellisons, Alan Taylor and writer from Cameron inter-circle put this movie in good hands.

I am just fine with these smaller B movies.  I had a lot of fun with Last Stand and I plan to catch Sabotage with some beers in hand!

B action movies don't get enough credit.  It's also apparently pretty violent and gory, I'm excited!

Yes there's nothing wrong with them. But people don't pay much money to see them in theaters. Last Stand is a perfect example of a movie that nobody saw in theaters. But sold really well on DVD/Blu-ray for a B-movie. Going to the movies in this day and age is very expensive. People aren't gonna go spend big money to see Arnold in a B-movie. Especially not when he has all these big budget action movie classics from the late 80s and 90s.

Yeah, it's too bad cause I like Arnold B action movies...Last Stand was a lot of fun.But...it's not working.I just hope it we can get our King Conan movie with an unreasonable budget before all this damages any possibility of it happening.Unfortunately, I think the damage has been done. I'm not getting my King Conan.

• Like 2

I think that may have been Carolco but I think they were coming off of Cutthroat Island

The guys who ran Carolco into the ground are also responsible for bringing the Terminator franchise down. I dunno what about Charlie Angels movies made them think. You know what McG would be a great fit to direct Terminator Salvation. Not to mention all the mistakes they made with Terminator 3. Like I said many times, Terminator franchise is in much better hands now.

The guys who ran Carolco into the ground are also responsible for bringing the Terminator franchise down. I dunno what about Charlie Angels movies made them think. You know what McG would be a great fit to direct Terminator Salvation. Not to mention all the mistakes they made with Terminator 3. Like I said many times, Terminator franchise is in much better hands now.

I agree it's in better hands, but sad to say, even a good movie doesn't ensure the type of success they're looking for.That being said...I'll be there day one (unless Talk To The Hand is the centerpiece of the new trailers).And I LIKED Terminator 3.

But "not looking that bad" doesn't get butts into move theaters, especially with the high prices now.  Maybe people will catch it on netflix but it probably just didn't appeal strongly enough to enough people.

Exactly and it wasn't that bad. It got a B Cinemascope and it's IMDB score is 6.8 compared to Noah 7. People just don't wanna go pay top dollar for B movies.  Especially B movies with older actors who have made bigger and better versions of this movie in the 80s and 90s. So they will wait to buy the dvd for 15 bucks or rent it or buy it on demand or watch it on Netflix and such. People are only going to pay to see a Arnold movie. If it also includes something big, new or exciting with him.

Exactly and it wasn't that bad. It got a B Cinemascope and it's IMDB score is 6.8 compared to Noah 7. People just don't wanna go pay top dollar for B movies.  Especially B movies with older actors who have made bigger and better versions of this movie in the 80s and 90s. So they will wait to buy the dvd for 15 bucks or rent it or buy it on demand or watch it on Netflix and such. People are only going to pay to see a Arnold movie. If it also includes something big, new or exciting with him.

No argument here.I think Arnold in his famous franchises can still sell. And I don't mean triplets.Otherwise, Arnold's caree in big budget films needs to shift gears to supporting if he hopes to stick around. There's real opportunity there Arnold, don't miss it.

While I think this is true...This Arnold starring reboot feels less like a jump start, and more like a grab at whatever water is left at the bottom of the well.Though I think the approach is totally sound...and has lots of potential. But I'm wary of its potential breakout success.

Part of the reason I think Arnold is back, is he's so iconic in that role. Who could you cast to play Arnold Terminator who's going to live up to expectations? I can't think of anyone, because it just won't be the same. So Arnold still in good enough shape physically and they have technology to make him look younger in sections of the movie if they need too. So why not bring Arnold back? Especially seeing Arnold back as the Terminator is going to put some extra butts in the seats. Now I agree that the franchise and type of movie it is. Will be what sells the movie to the masses in 2015 and not Arnold anymore. But do people want to see him be the Terminator at least one last time. As long as it's believable and make up, Hollywood magic and special effects will make it believable enough. Plus Arnold is a character from the future, everyone else who lives in the past in this new alternative timeline being recasted. This is no different then what Star Trek did, just in this movie Arnold as a bigger and more important role. Because well he's 66(who's in great shape for his age) and not 78 like Nimoy was in the Star Trek reboot.

Weekend Box Office: #1 'Noah' [Par/NR - 3567 runs] exceeds expectations with mainstream Sat bump after faith-based Fri for $48M.Wkd Box Office: #2 'Divergent' $28.5M for $97.3M cume; #3 'Muppets' $12.2M/$34M; #4 'Mr Peabody' $10.2M/$95.6M.Wkd Box Office: #5 Wes Anderson's 'Grand Budapest Hotel' (FoxSL - 977 runs) expands with $9.3 for $24.9M cume.Wkd Box Office: Arnold flops again! Schwarzenegger's worst ever opening! 'Sabotage' (Open Rd - 2486 runs) #7 with $5.4M.https://mobile.twitter.com/NikkiFinke/status/450169202846867456

• Like 2

No argument here.I think Arnold in his famous franchises can still sell. And I don't mean triplets.Otherwise, Arnold's caree in big budget films needs to shift gears to supporting if he hopes to stick around. There's real opportunity there Arnold, don't miss it.

I agree to a point. I don't think Arnold should do small supporting roles unless it's a Expendables movie. He still needs to be in the film long enough to make a impact. So I think he still needs to be the second or third most important character. For example say Arnold got Idris Ebla role in Pacific Rim and did that instead of Last Stand. Well Arnold would just be seen in a big worldwide hit and who knows it might have done a little better with his name attached. Because it's Arnold appearing in a big sci-fi movie again, but one they have never seen him in before. But that's my point if Arnold not doing sequels, he needs to get himself in roles and big movies like that. Even if he has to go Jonah Hill and accept 50,000 paycheck to get himself casted in the movie. Arnold net worth is something like 400,000 million dollars. Last thing he should be worried about at this stage of his career. Is getting a solid 8-10 million dollar upfront paycheck and being a main "lead" in a movie. Especially if those paychecks and lead roles are only offered in B-movies.

Edited by gb0708