Plain Old Tele

The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Yep, that part was one of the better fights as well.  The baseball bat dude was an idiot so I was glad to see him go, and she was just bad ass, so she had to go too.  And yes, she died appropriately.

• Like 1

The plot is convoluted and it takes a while to ramp up, but I love that even while there were plotting issues with the film, the pacing is really good. It does a slow burn with a few action scenes here and there, but it never blows the good stuff. In the last half, it's basically action sequence after action sequence and each somehow manages to be more thrilling and amazing than the previous.

I was a bit surprised to come out of it and see that, including trailers, I'd spent almost three hours in the theater, because it really didn't feel that long.

As for the plot, I think that this was the film Evans wanted to do when he realized the scope was too big, so they went and made The Raid instead. It feels like the connection between the two was a bit forced, because Rama could have been pretty much anyone and this film would have worked.

Even so, what works in here works so damn well that it blows away any other action film released this year.

Also, with how good that car chase sequence was, I kinda want Evans to get a crack at a FastFurious film.

• Like 1

The plot was messy and we've seen it a bunch of times in the past. Rama felt like he was thrown in a completely different movie. But Evans is a brilliant filmmaker. He knows how to set the tone and create the atmosphere. And then there is the action. Every single action scene here simply kicks ass. Incredibly well shot, edited and choreographed. The prison fight and the kitchen fight were my favourites. Actually the kitchen fight is one of the most intense action scenes ever. I'm talking top-10 ever.

So yes it has a bunch of flaws but i loved it and parts of it i'll be rewatching them forever.

• Like 2

One of the best action movies of all time. Evans puts Hollywood's elite action directors to shame. The story was well-told, albeit by-the-numbers, but the action was truly masterful. That final 'kitchen fight' arguably ranks among the Top 5 fights ever put to celluloid.

• Like 1