grim22

Weekend Actuals 3/28-3/30

Which of these 4 franchises is most likely to get a sequel, and which is least likely?

Jack Ryan

Jack Reacher

Robocop

Need For Speed

(and I mean a sequel in the near term, not a reboot in 7 years)

Reacher's probably most likely. It's a toss-up between Ryan and Robo for least likely. I don't expect one from either, unless there's a substantial success on video. They both got pretty poor earnings to production cost ratios. Reacher cost the same as Ryan while doing significantly better.

NFS I could see getting a sequel. It's a pretty frugal production by Dreamworks.

Need for Speed will end with 200M WW on a 66M budget. Jack Ryan already closed with 135M WW on a 60M budget. Robocop had a 100M budget and will end with 250M WW. What is the logic behind thinking NFS is the least likely to get a sequel :lol: ?

I just don't see them wanting to make a sequel to Need For Speed. Whereas they might try 1st last shot with a sequel to Jack Ryan and Robocop to see if they can have a franchise.

Like I said, though, it was just a guess, so I am probably way off.  :P

if anyone needs the numbers:

title - budget - WW

Jack Ryan 60 134

Jack Reacher 60 218

Robocop 100 240

Need For Speed 66 168 (probably finish 190-200)

Jack Reacher seems to have the best numbers, but the problem there is that they'd have to pay Tom Cruise to make the sequel, and that might kill their projected numbers.

I can see them still making some kind of Jack Ryan movie in the future still while I doubt there will be any Need for Speed sequel 

Reboot, not sequel. (In my comment I meant to say Jack Ryan, not Jack Reacher. That is indeed the most likely to get a sequel).

Edited by CJohn

I just don't see them wanting to make a sequel to Need For Speed. Whereas they might try 1st last shot with a sequel to Jack Ryan and Robocop to see if they can have a franchise.

Like I said, though, it was just a guess, so I am probably way off.  :P

Need For Speed in China. Can you imagine the money?! If this one is already making a ton of cash there.

Never saw Jack Ryan. Don't really care. RoboCop was good, I actually enjoyed it a lot, but for some reason I think it is a great standalone movie, and a sequel would suck. I am all for more NFS and Jack Reacher.

• Like 3

Tom Cruise was a producer of Jack Reacher, though, so he's probably got a bit more vested than just the actor paycheck.

Also, hasn't a sequel for it been announced already?

Yes, but nothing has come of it.