Totem

The Dark Knight Rises OS Discussion Thread/700M+ OS CLUB

Let's took a look of what was been said about The Amazing Spider-Man in the same 3rd weekend, shall we?

Nah, seems terrible to me, should gross about 60% of what alot of people were expecting, it should have made much more.

$28.3M weekend. :(

384.5M cume.

Exhibitor Relations@ERCboxoffice

Overseas, SPIDER-MAN netted an additional $29.8M for a total of $386M. Worldwide cume: $614M

800M WW seems difficult to reach now. :(

Terrible weekend, will make 450m or so without China and 500-550m with China. It is nice to be right. :P

This is from The Amazing Spider-Man's third weekend estimates. TASM reached $386m worldwide after its 3rd weekend. TDKR reached 376m and people are claiming that's a success. I find it ironic that Totem and others were claiming TASM's doom and gloom after The Amazing Spider-Man grossed more than TDKR in the same time frame in the foreign markets.

"Oh but it's 3d and TDKR is 2d", yeah, that's right, but TASM is still a reboot that so far made more in the foreign markets than TDKR, which is a finale. If we can say that TASM has an edge because it has 3d, TASM is facing a far more tough market than TDKR, which makes the numbers of a reboot that still made more than an acclaimed finaled far more impressive.

With that said, Totem is right. It's nice to be right. Yes, TDKR will gross more than TASM worldwide, but still will be very close between TASM and TDKR as far as foreign markets go. So I'm right about the fact that TASM still has a shot of making more than TDKR in the foreign markets, and even if it doesn't, it's still insanely impressive for a reboot that faced the kind of competion that it did to hold so strong against TDKR, which had far more things going for it than TASM did.

Just saying. B)

This is from The Amazing Spider-Man's third weekend estimates. TASM reached $386m worldwide after its 3rd weekend. TDKR reached 376m and people are claiming that's a success.

Um, that's because TDKR made over twice as much on its 3rd weekend than TASM.
  • Like 4

You are joking right? I was expecting TASM to do 800M OS. And I wasn't the only one. 500M is a huge disappointment. TDKR was never supposed to do more than 500M or so.And TDKR 3rd weekend is more than the double of TASM 3rd weekend. Your hate blinds you and makes you dumb sometimes.

Edited by CJohn

Um, that's because TDKR made over twice as much on its 3rd weekend than TASM.

ORLY? Why it hasn't reached $400m in the foreign markets if that's true? Yes, TASM had 3D and a different form of release, but it still hasn't made more than TASM in the foreign markets. If people were laughing about TASM not making to $400m after its 3rd weekend, why can't I remember all of you that TASM after it's 3rd weekend made more than TDKR did?

You are joking right? I was expecting TASM to do 800M OS. And I wasn't the only one. 500M is a huge disappointment. TDKR was never supposed to do more than 500M or so.And TDKR 3rd weekend is more than the double of TASM. Your hate blinds you and makes you dumb sometimes.

Not even me was expecting $800m from the foreign markets for TASM. It's not about hate, it's about enduring hate and understanding that TDKR made basically the same thing that TASM did in the same time frame. TASM faced FAR more cynical comments than TDKR ever did.

ORLY? Why it hasn't reached $400m in the foreign markets if that's true? Yes, TASM had 3D and a different form of release, but it still hasn't made more than TASM in the foreign markets. If people were laughing about TASM not making to $400m after its 3rd weekend, why can't I remember all of you that TASM after it's 3rd weekend made more than TDKR did?

Because Spidey came out early in a number of markets and had $51m built into its gross before it ever came out in North America. Technically you are comparing ASM's 4th weekend with TDKR's 3rd weekend overseas.

Spidey was also released a week early in a number of markets. Made $51m overseas before it was even released in North America. TDKR didn't have any early releases overseas. It is gaining ground in a hurry.

ORLY? I'm aware of that. But TASM still made more than TDKR in its 3rd weekend. TDKR isn't "gaining ground in a hurry" like you're implying, red. It's still possible for TDKR to end up grossing less than TASM overseas, and even if it makes more, it will be very close between each other.

iJack makes no sense sometimes :lol:

I'm not making sense because I'm implying the same kind of insane logic that was applied against TASM to TDKR. Both numbers are fantastic, but fact is that TASM still made more than TDKR in its 3rd weekend.

Some few predicted $800m for TASM, some few are predicting $700m for TDKR.

All of those that predicted these numbers have less clue about box office numbers, because $800m from foreign markets alone is an insane number. And just like TASM won't reach 800m, TDKR won't be reaching $700m from foreign markets. I can see it making $600m-$650m with China, but no more than that. And I'm still not even sure that it'll make to $600m, TDKR will start to face real competition now, and it's not "gaining ground" like red, it's declining, just like TASM was in the same time frame. The fact that made the double than TASM this weekend from foreign markets only makes my theory stronger, since that's the result of TASM been released in some foreign markets before it's official 3rd weekend. TASM and TDKR runs in the foreign markets it's closer than those that twist how bad TASM run is in the foreign markets would like to admit.