CoolioD1

The Leftovers | HBO

The penultimate episode reveals the reason why Laurie ended up leaving her family

I hope more gets explained until the end but I am liking it so far. I am near the end of episode 5 right now. Edited by CJohn

Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux are so :wub:

They are by far the best. I am in the Carrie Coon episode and it is great. It is the last episode I will see for today. 4 episodes left. Edited by CJohn

There are two things that I either missed or aren't explained in The Leftovers.

a) Why do they smoke so much in that weird cult where Laurie is?
b ) What is the point of Meg's character? You could remove her entirely from the show and nothing would change.

There are two things that I either missed or aren't explained in The Leftovers.

a) Why do they smoke so much in that weird cult where Laurie is?

b ) What is the point of Meg's character? You could remove her entirely from the show and nothing would change.

a) To die faster

b  )  She went to the cult as an excuse to escape her marriege. Witch is a similar reason to why Laurie escaped to the cult.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 1

Jesus, I got Lindelofed pretty badly. My body was not prepared.

Can someone explain me the first 10 minutes? Or why were the girls running naked in a random scene in the middle of the episode?

• Like 1

Because mystic past of symbolism?

They showed a woman giving birth, protecting her child and dying because of that, and having another woman taking the baby.

How is that related to the rest? I totally missed that. 

They showed a woman giving birth, protecting her child and dying because of that, and having another woman taking the baby.

Well they also have the mysterious earthquakes of doom

We knew the series was going to relocate this year, and all change can be disorienting, but to open the new season not only a few thousand miles away from Mapleton, but millennia upon millennia in the past? That's the show taking a Tom Perrotta joke — as the writers were pondering what would go in a "Previously, on 'The Leftovers'" segment, Perrotta wondered, "How previously should we get?" — and turning it into an unexpected and beautiful meditation on the show's larger themes about loss, grief, God, and moving on past tragedy.

Our cavewoman heroine isn't witness to something as mystical as the Sudden Departure, but in her small worldview, the earthquake that kills off the rest of her tribe is just as inexplicable. She's a leftover just as much as Laurie or Patti or Nora were. She stays close to the cave-in long after it's become dangerous to her and her baby to do so, all because she can't quite comprehend how such a thing could happen, or that she should be out exploring the world beyond that cave and that lake. Of course, once she finally decides to investigate the smoke off in the distance, she gets fatally bit by a snake who was attacking the baby, and for a few moments it seems like TV's Most Depressing Show is preparing to double down by opening its new season with a baby trapped in its dead mother's arms in a hostile wilderness...

... when another cavewoman, who bears more than a passing resemblance to Nora Durst, wanders over, to take care of this orphaned child, right as Max Richter's now hauntingly familiar piano theme begins to play, and we pan over ever so slightly to reveal that this same lake — which could well be the axis mundi, or connection between heaven and earth, of the episode's title — is right there in our new locale of Jarden, TX, all those centuries later.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/season-premiere-review-the-leftovers-axis-mundi-we-are-spared

It's a recap of the first season.

:mellow:

• Like 1