CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Captain America after following up a 1.5 billion grosser

That's weak even for you Shriek.

You forget about Thor that opened 10m less than Cap followed up a 1.5m grosser too.,

• Like 2

Midday Friday Box Office: Pre-sales & matinee trends show 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' opening to $35M (incl $8.7M lates) for $90M-$95M wkd.

Hope she's on the low side. That would equal the OD of TASM with previews, but that was a Tuesday in mid-summer, so it's awfully hard to compare. But considering TASM made 75m in its first three mid-week days, it should at least better that by 15-20m on a weekend. 

If it's attracting families, the numbers should skew higher after work hours.

I think they already take that into consideration. If anything changes it will be for the late evening and night shows.

• Like 1

Captain America after following up a 1.5 billion grosser

Revisionism starts early, huh? I didn't remember you mentioning that when predicting Cap's OW. Most people brought up was how Thor 2 did and how Cap should do about the same or worse.
  • Like 2

lol, you still watch it? the last couple seasons have been aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwful

I didn't watch last season. You told me it was awful and nobody else was talking about so I didn't even bother with it. I started watching Endeavour which only has 4 episodes. :(

Anyone know what the hush time Sony can get before they need to have a new film in production? It's 7 years for Fox, right? I'm just wondering if a) they decided to stop TASM as a series after this one, would anyone be happy if they sat on it a bit and launched a reboot of sorts (perhaps without an origin) in 2020.

Or if TASM hadn't happened and this was the rebooted film (again, without the explicit origin), would 7 years have been enough of a gap since SM3?

I didn't watch last season. You told me it was awful and nobody else was talking about so I didn't even bother with it. I started watching Endeavour which only has 4 episodes. :(

I don't watch that, Any good? I used to watch Inspector Morse reruns a lot...

Midday Friday Box Office: Pre-sales & matinee trends show 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' opening to $35M (incl $8.7M lates) for $90M-$95M wkd.

So my guess is that we're at ~10M matinees so far, and the evening extrapolation suggests 15-16M, which would be in line with TASM's evenings.  35M would be a 26.3M Friday which is under TASM's 27.5M on a summer Tuesday.  But we had 7PM previews so Saturday bump should be significant.  

• Like 2

Anyone know what the hush time Sony can get before they need to have a new film in production? It's 7 years for Fox, right? I'm just wondering if a) they decided to stop TASM as a series after this one, would anyone be happy if they sat on it a bit and launched a reboot of sorts (perhaps without an origin) in 2020.Or if TASM hadn't happened and this was the rebooted film (again, without the explicit origin), would 7 years have been enough of a gap since SM3?

What I am wondering is if Sony can just release a spinoff movie every five years until they want to release another reboot.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet because Nikki is known to overestimate but if it can hit 95 I think that's very solid.  I went with 105 or 110 for the Summer game but anything within a 5 million range of 100 would be great for this.  I still think it's going to play a bit more family-friendly than some are expecting.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

So my guess is that we're at ~10M matinees so far, and the evening extrapolation suggests 15-16M, which would be in line with TASM's evenings.  35M would be a 26.3M Friday which is under TASM's 27.5M on a summer Tuesday.  But we had 7PM previews so Saturday bump should be significant.  

Posted Image

Hope it does a Thor 2. That'll give it 94m.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Anyone know what the hush time Sony can get before they need to have a new film in production? It's 7 years for Fox, right? I'm just wondering if a) they decided to stop TASM as a series after this one, would anyone be happy if they sat on it a bit and launched a reboot of sorts (perhaps without an origin) in 2020.

Or if TASM hadn't happened and this was the rebooted film (again, without the explicit origin), would 7 years have been enough of a gap since SM3?

Really? You think they're gonna stop TASM just because TASM2 isn't doing as much as they hoped? It's their biggest franchise, just lol. Three sequels are greenlit. 

• Like 2