Warhorse

Upcoming movies using IMAX cameras.

You really don't think he is going to use his own Fusion camera? I would really be shocked if he didn't. 

Oh no Cameron's Fusion Camera System is just the 3D rig. They buy digital cameras from Red or Sony and put those on the rig. It's different from IMAX 3D because IMAX developed their own rig and digital cameras as well.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

There is the shot to shot comparison on the internet, between Sony F65 and Red Epic, and looks like Sony F65 is much better than Red Epic, except not being as user-friendly. Netherless to say, digital cameras are catching up with film quickly.

Check out this Sony F65 sample screensnap (in 4K solution).

http://www.xdcam-user.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/F65-sample1.jpg

Edited by vc2002

With all due respect, using JPEG comparisons defeats the purpose of the exercise. The F65 is a very nice sensor... so is the Dragon. In either case, both are far superior to what was previously available for digital native 3D just a couple years ago. (Let's not forget that AVATAR was filmed with 2K sensors.)

With all due respect, using JPEG comparisons defeats the purpose of the exercise. The F65 is a very nice sensor... so is the Dragon. In either case, both are far superior to what was previously available for digital native 3D just a couple years ago. (Let's not forget that AVATAR was filmed with 2K sensors.)

Yeah I dont think you can really tell the difference if you show the motion picture instead of JPGs or PNGs on the big screen. But we're geeks ain't we? We are suppose to go for the details that no one cares. :P

• Like 1

This is all very confusing for a noob like me.

From Collider Michael Bay interview:

Reveals Transformers 4 will be the first film to shoot with the new IMAX 3D digital cameras

Has he seen the new Sony F-65 camera that was used on Oblivion

So according to Tele: new IMAX 3D digital camera = new Sony F-65 camera. Correct?

From IMDb TF4 page:

Phantom 65 Gold, IMAX 3-D Lenses

Red Epic Dragon, Panavision C-, G-Series and Leica Summilux Lenses

So they shoot certain scenes with the Phantom and others with the Dragon. Correct?

From IMDb TF4 page:

IMAX Digital 3-D (4K) (dual-strip 3-D) (source format)

Redcode RAW (6K) (also dual-strip 3-D) (source format)

So certain scenes are in 4K and others in 6K. Correct? But when I watch it in the cinemas, it will be projected in 4K, right? So why shoot it in 6K? Is it to future-proof it or something?

Thanks!

best 3d cameras in the business, he better use his fusion cameras

Oh no Cameron's Fusion Camera System is just the 3D rig. They buy digital cameras from Red or Sony and put those on the rig. It's different from IMAX 3D because IMAX developed their own rig and digital cameras as well.

;) You gotta read, bro.

This is all very confusing for a noob like me. From Collider Michael Bay interview: Reveals Transformers 4 will be the first film to shoot with the new IMAX 3D digital cameras Has he seen the new Sony F-65 camera that was used on Oblivion So according to Tele: new IMAX 3D digital camera = new Sony F-65 camera. Correct?

From what I've read, it uses the Phantom's sensor, but it's a different camera (that presumably IMAX designed. (The Phantom F65 isn't made anymore, but it's a different camera than Sony's CineAlta F65).

From IMDb TF4 page: Phantom 65 Gold, IMAX 3-D Lenses Red Epic Dragon, Panavision C-, G-Series and Leica Summilux Lenses So they shoot certain scenes with the Phantom and others with the Dragon. Correct?

Correct. Most big-budget movies will have a set of orimary cameras and possibly a series of secondary cameras for specialized tasks.

From IMDb TF4 page: IMAX Digital 3-D (4K) (dual-strip 3-D) (source format) Redcode RAW (6K) (also dual-strip 3-D) (source format) So certain scenes are in 4K and others in 6K. Correct? But when I watch it in the cinemas, it will be projected in 4K, right? So why shoot it in 6K? Is it to future-proof it or something? Thanks!

The 4K/6K refers to acquisition resolution. Final mastering resolution is 4K (and up till recently, was usually 2K). You shoot in a higher resolution because -- all other things being equal -- you want to acquire the best possible image you can. It also gives you the ability to re-frame shots in post without image loss. It's easy to down-res if you need/want to.
  • Like 1

Collider has a video interview with Michael Bay (at CinemaCon) where he reveals that Transformers 4 will be the first movie to make use of IMAX’s new 3D digital cameras. Major sequences will be shot with these cameras, which Bay says have a resolution topping 8K:Collider: What kind of resolution can the IMAX 3D cameras achieve? Is it 4K, 8K?Bay: It’s like…I think it’s higher than that. It’s actually going to break the….you know, my finishing company said it takes, it’s some zigabyte, whatever the hell it is- it’s some name that I don’t even know what that name is. They just go, “we are screwed with the amount of computing power we’re going to need here.”Collider: Are you going to use that camera for the whole shoot, or for specific scenes?Bay: We’re going to do several big showcase scenes. [The screen aspect ratio] is going to open up. Because it’s too expensive to finish IMAX quality FX.Bay also tells Collider that one of these new IMAX cameras costs more than the entire budget of his most recent film, Pain and Gain.Here’s all that IMAX’s site currently has to say about their new digital cameras:Even better for filmmakers, IMAX is expanding its repertoire of capturing tools by perfecting a next-generation 2D and 3D Digital camera. It will be small and nimble enough to go anywhere. It will also be hand-held, take longer shots. Directors will be able to work without interruptions, because there’s no film to change, yet still deliver quality that’s a match for the beauty of film. And as the technology develops, we expect it will ultimately go far beyond what film can do.

Until we see specs, I'm dubious about any number Bay (or any other entity) throws out there. Maybe they found a way to use 2 sensors per camera and combine the image?I know the Sony F65 captures data at 8K, but it downsamples that during the initial image processing. I'm not aware of any camera sensor that can do more than that.

Edited by Telemachos