#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

There is a huge difference between a 400m movie that was intended to be a franchise from the start, and a 700m movie that spawned a franchise 7 years later.

Avatar 2 won't follow trends because Avatar was an phenomenon.  It'll do great numbers, don't get me wrong, but it isn't going to naturally increase when the first had numbers that high, plus Cameron missed the chance to strike the iron while it was hot, 7 years is a long wait for a sequel (that's the difference between Titanic and Avatar).

I'm just saying it's foolish to expect Avatar 2 to be able to topple Avatar.

You know what it was said a 400M movie couldn't do it, now its a 500M, next a 600M are you (everyone) going to ever be satisfied? You forget T2 that had a HUGE increase over T1 and I forget how long was that wait.

Bet on it?

No way does Avatar's sequel even approach what it did domestically. Even ignoring the novelty of the impressive 3D effects that is now non-existent and crazy seven year wait, the WOM on that movie didn't last at all. Within like a year and a half of it releasing most people seemed to be hopping on the "eh, it was okay" bandwagon, and that effect's only grown since then. Unless the movie's got some holograms or crazy technological shit to hook everyone back in, I'd say it won't even sniff 500M.

Right, I forgot how terribly it sold on DVD.  (that's sarcasm btw)

It wasn't the technological hook that made people go back to see it. It was because people loved the world and yes, the characters.

Everyone was high on it for a good while, but it kind of got completely forgotten like a year after its home video release. Any time you bring it up to someone now, there's a reaction of "meh". Because for as beautiful and well-done a movie it was, it really wasn't that memorable.

You know what it was said a 400M movie couldn't do it, now its a 500M, next a 600M are you (everyone) going to ever be satisfied? You forget T2 that had a HUGE increase over T1 and I forget how long was that wait.Bet on it?

:lol: Neo, I'm a wacky Avatar loonie and even I'm tempted to take that bet with you. :)

No way does Avatar's sequel even approach what it did domestically. Even ignoring the novelty of the impressive 3D effects that is now non-existent and crazy seven year wait, the WOM on that movie didn't last at all. Within like a year and a half of it releasing most people seemed to be hopping on the "eh, it was okay" bandwagon, and that effect's only grown since then. Unless the movie's got some holograms or crazy technological shit to hook everyone back in, I'd say it won't even sniff 500M.

Bet?

Yea I remember seeing it a few times back in the day...everyone was hooked on Pandora and just were amazed how awesome it looked in 3D...

As for the story, nothing novel but it didn't have to be...the concept of belonging was something any culture could identify with and that why it was so huge all over the place...

Stories don't have to re-invent the wheel, they just have to be compelling.  Avatar obviously was for millions of people.

• Like 1

In your opinion.In terms of MAN OF STEEL, I'm specifically only talking about the Krypton visuals, a point you seem to be consistently ignoring.

That one was indeed inspired by Avatar but it's what, a tiny portion of the movie. The same Krypton scenes have Matrix-baby production visual reference right after, a movie series that made twice less money than Avatar with 3 installemenets

Everyone was high on it for a good while, but it kind of got completely forgotten like a year after its home video release. Any time you bring it up to someone now, there's a reaction of "meh". Because for as beautiful and well-done a movie it was, it really wasn't that memorable.

Posted Image

There is a huge difference between a 400m movie that was intended to be a franchise from the start, and a 700m movie that spawned a franchise 7 years later. Avatar 2 won't follow trends because Avatar was an phenomenon.  It'll do great numbers, don't get me wrong, but it isn't going to naturally increase when the first had numbers that high, plus Cameron missed the chance to strike the iron while it was hot, 7 years is a long wait for a sequel (that's the difference between Titanic and Avatar). I'm just saying it's foolish to expect Avatar 2 to be able to topple Avatar.

Not to mention that no sequel has ever managed to become the highest grossing movie of all time. I think it will stay that way for a while.
  • Like 1

Avatar was such a novelty that no film has touched 2 billion WW, let alone 2.7 billion, since it came out.  Hell, Avengers, and TDKR combined WW, with expanded markets, still didn't make more than Avatar.  

• Like 2

Posted Image

Don't you Wire me.

O/U 500M.

I understand that. Like, bet what? That's a long time for a bet. I could be dead in two and a half years. Or I might just not come here anymore. And I probably wouldn't be horribly ashamed in the incident that you won, since I would have already been exposed to the incredible marketing and hype and probably would've known I was wrong long in advance. Especially considering that there really isn't any empirical data to show whether or not audience interest in Avatar has dropped tremendously like I say it has.

But I'll listen. What's your proposal for this bet?