BadAtGender

Tues# TF4 10.41, HTTYD2 2.61, 22JS 2.28, Malef 1.57, TLAM2 1.17 | Full numbers Page 1

I don't. I don't wish the film would flop, but there seems to be no hype for it.

I don't think it'll open big, but it could have good legs if lives up to be a good film. The runtime on this is short too, only 90 minutes long. That gives it a lot of room to have many openings for it and it works for a children audience as well.

• Like 2

Angelina the Queen of legs and cross-gender cross-generational demographic appeal :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Disney had originally planned to open “Maleficent,” which had a $180 million production budget, in North America on the July 4 weekend but moved it up to May 30. It debuted to a better-than-expected $69 million and has displayed extraordinary staying power at the domestic box office since.

Like the rest of the summer's No. 1 movies, it fell out of the top spot in its second week. But unlike the others, most of which saw steep drops after their openings, “Maleficent” has remained in more than 3,000 theaters and its grosses have fallen off just 50 percent, 46 percent, 30 percent and 35 percent in successive weeks.

Audiences for “Maleficent,” an update on Disney's classic animated tale “Sleeping Beauty” told from the perspective of the evil queen, skewed family and female. But you don't hit the numbers it has without attracting men, too.

“A lot of that is Angelina, who men love and women admire,” said Dergarabedian. “There's not a lot of stars out there like that.” He thought the marketing campaign had a lot to do with its appeal to men as well, including the “Maleficent” title. “It doesn't sound gender specific, whereas if you called it ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ a lot of guys might have run for the hills.”

http://www.thewrap.com/angelina-jolies-maleficent-tops-400-million-at-foreign-box-office-600-million-worldwide/

• Like 5

I don't think it'll open big, but it could have good legs if lives up to be a good film. The runtime on this is short too, only 90 minutes long. That gives it a lot of room to have many openings for it and it works for a children audience as well.

I guess. It doesn't really look that bad to be honest. I just can't get over how much they're trying to sell this as being similar to E.T.

• Like 2

Trailers for “Maleficent” have been playing ahead of “Frozen” throughout its record-record run in Japan, where the Disney brand is huge, so that could change.

“We've had an incredible run with ‘Frozen’ and it's been a terrific platform for exposing audiences to ‘Maleficent',” said Disney's head of distribution Dave Hollis. “There are some significant similarities between the films — its female-empowering message, for one — and we think it will be embraced there.”

Interesting.... 

• Like 3

Today, everyone should take a moment to have a small moment of silence or moment of reflection to honor little How to Train Your Dragon 2 - as this is the final day that it will be ahead of Transformers 4 in the domestic standings.  Love it, honor it, cherish it, and enjoy this day while you can.  (*sniffle, sniffle*)

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view=widedate&view2=domestic&yr=2014&p=.htm

• Like 1

Now you know you're not. Haven't you been reading the threads you moderate?

Oh good one E. Shots fired? I have a complete headache and I haven't bothered with this thread much today.
  • Like 1

I loved STID last year in the theatres. I rewatched it last week and I agree with you. The plot twists are especially stupid and come out of left field. When you're seeing it for the first time, and I was pumped since I was a fan of the first, you don't realize it, maybe because of excitement or the charm of the characters or Cumberbatch but yeah. The multiple twists with the head of Starfleet and Khan just devolves into bad writing instead of being actually well told storytelling. And now the douchebag Orci is directing...stick a fork in this reboot.

I'm a huge Abrams fan, but it sounds like some of the issues with STID were things he wanted to do (like have Khan as a character, for example). So there's a (small) chance that Orci -- freed from torturously trying to include every request from director and studio -- might be able to make ST3 more of an actual Trek movie.

I don't think those odds are great... but there's a chance.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Abrams fan, but it sounds like some of the issues with STID were things he wanted to do (like have Khan as a character, for example). So there's a (small) chance that Orci -- freed from torturously trying to include every request from director and studio -- might be able to make ST3 more of an actual Trek movie.

I don't think those odds are great... but there's a chance.

Wasn't there an interview with Kurtzman who indicated he was on one side where they shouldn't use Khan and Orci and Lindelof were on the other saying they should? Or was it something different?

• Like 1

I liked STID quite a bit when I saw it in theaters and would'e never guessed it would get such an epic backlash.

It's certainly not a great film, and probably not even a good one. But it falls pretty comfortably into the general mish-mash of "mediocre, OK blockbuster" -- a few nice things, a few cool moments, a whole bunch of silliness and/or not-well-thought-out script issues... business as usual.

I'm honestly surprised that people get that riled up about it.

• Like 1