Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

Next year's March looks pretty good, maybe even better than this year's.Summer is also intriguing. I applaud the studios for taking so many gambles on big-budget original properties, even if they may not all work out. The season really is a nice mixture of the familiar with the new.

Exactly. It's a pretty even playing field.

Definitely not over. This summer we have big tentpole films like TDKR and TA, and they dont come every year.

2007SPIDER-MAN lllSHREK THE THIRDTRANSFORMERSPOTC: AWEHP: OOTP2008THE DARK KNIGHTIRON MANIJ: KOTCS2009T: ROTFHP: HBPUP2010TOY STORY lllIRON MAN llTTS: ECLIPSEINCEPTION2011HP: DH llT: DOTM

Summer 2013IRON MAN lllSTAR TREK llFAST & FURIOUS VlTHE HANGOVER lllLONE RANGERAFTER EARTHMAN OF STEELMONSTERS UNIVERSITYWORLD WAR ZDESPICABLE MEROBOPOCALYPSEPACIFIC RIMTURBOTHE WOLVERINETHE SMURFS llUNTITLED 300 FOLLOW UPAnd a whole lot more...

Summer 2013IRON MAN lllSTAR TREK llFAST & FURIOUS VlTHE HANGOVER lllLONE RANGERAFTER EARTHMAN OF STEELMONSTERS UNIVERSITYWORLD WAR ZDESPICABLE MEROBOPOCALYPSEPACIFIC RIMTURBOTHE WOLVERINETHE SMURFS llUNTITLED 300 FOLLOW UPAnd a whole lot more...

You pretty much summerized the whole summer 2013.There won't be a whole lot more.A summer season has an average of 16 tentpoles if you discount comedies and include animation.Summer 2013 won't be any different. Edited by The Futurist

Fairly impressive line up for next year :)

You pretty much summerized the whole summer 2013.There won't be a whole lot more.A summer season has an average of 16 tentpoles if you discount comedies and include animation.Summer 2013 won't be any different.

Did I say anything about it being different?

What happened to the like button?? Damn.I agree with both lab's posts 1000% :D couldn't have justified it better myself.I even wrote off Fast Five but reviews made me come around and it was really fun. That hasn't changed the fact I find the rest of the franchise bland so for me it depends very much on the trailer. They are quite stand alone not like say Twilight or Harry Potter.

Six movies is just too many for a franchise like Fast. Not interested, even if reviews are good. Looking forward to Iron Man 3, Trek II, Pacific Rim, Robopocalypse (as long as Spielberg is still directing), World War Z, Lone Ranger, Man of Steel, and maybe After Earth. Smith is one of my favorite actors but it's hard imagine M. Night turning things around. Every time he comes out with a new film the internet community thinks "maybe this one will be his comeback." And then it ends up worse than the last.

Six movies is just too many for a franchise like Fast. Not interested, even if reviews are good.

The Fast series is a really fascinating case. With the fifth movie the first to get a positive critical reception and being by far the highest grossing installment it's almost as if the franchise has been "reborn" on a bigger scale. I think for many (including me) the sixth movie is essentially the first sequel.