Squaremaster316

Jolie vs Nolan: Round 2

4 years ago, Angelina Jolie starred in the Phillip Noyce directed spy thriller, Salt, where she played an accused Russian sleeper agent attempting to clear her name.  While the movie was a hit, it ended up hitting a brick wall in the form of Christopher Nolan's mindbending blockbuster, Inception. 

This was far from surprising to many filmgoers and fans, though some did attempt to make a case for the opposition:

http://movieline.com/2010/07/12/5-reasons-why-salt-will-be-bigger-than-inception/

This year, while Jolie is set to direct her second film based on the life of POW survivor and Olympian Louis "Louie" Zamperini, it also marks the year of her greatest box office hit to date, Disney's Maleficent, currently standing at over 200M domestic and 700M worldwide, a far larger gross than her 2010 spy thriller.

Nolan is also set to make Box office headlines this year with his new upcoming Sci-fi odyssey film, Interstellar.

While the two films are nowhere near in direct competition with each other, some people question whether this year is where Jolie's DIsney villain turned Anti-hero truly does outearn WB's golden child director, or if Nolan can best Mrs. Pitt once again.

Thoughts?

Edited by Squaremaster316

I did think about this. Salt probably could have done something closer to 50/150 without Inception around.

I'd say Maleficent should outgross Interstellar but who knows, I think the bigger story will be Unbroken vs Interstellar in terms of awards attention & box office in the like.