CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019 | Now on Disney+

On 10/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, Hades said:

Under Alice 2 confirmed...I dare Disney to greenlight another of these pointless films...

They will, but likely for Disney+. 

This will end up actually doing decently worldwide, but not big enough to indicate any sort of real strong momentum after the first one. It's kind of like a smaller Pirates 5 in that way.

My sibling and I are really hoping to get to see this soon!

Also, while I haven't seen the second one yet, one thing that I love about Maleficent is that it's a Disney story retelling that does something completely different with the source material. It doesn't just try to be a copy of the original (looking at you, Lion King), and it doesn't claim to follow the same plot as the original while then going and making a whole much of unneeded changes and tossing out beloved characters (looking at you big-time, upcoming-Mulan-movie). It takes the characters we're familiar with and puts them in a completely new setting and situation. It's basically like an alternate adaptation with the characters rather than being just a cash-grab remake.

23 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

My sibling and I are really hoping to get to see this soon!

Also, while I haven't seen the second one yet, one thing that I love about Maleficent is that it's a Disney story retelling that does something completely different with the source material. It doesn't just try to be a copy of the original (looking at you, Lion King), and it doesn't claim to follow the same plot as the original while then going and making a whole much of unneeded changes and tossing out beloved characters (looking at you big-time, upcoming-Mulan-movie). It takes the characters we're familiar with and puts them in a completely new setting and situation. It's basically like an alternate adaptation with the characters rather than being just a cash-grab remake.

Yes! Honestly, as much as people complained about the first Maleficent's lack of faithfulness to the 1959 film (which may have inadvertently led to the lack of creativity in remakes like The Lion King), I think this is how all of the live action "remakes" should be. The original classics exist and have already stood the test of time, why bother going through the motions making shot-for-shot remakes that will ultimately be forgotten? If Disney had taken the characters from Beauty and the Beast, gave it a similar aesthetic to the original, but taken a different approach to the story (and I don't mean adding in pointless "fixes" from the original plot) it still would have made bank.

People are already complaining about Mulan not including any of the songs and eliminating Mushu, but would we really want to see those songs auto-tuned to hell or a less funny expressionless Mushu? Because there is a 99% chance that's what we'd get if they were included. At least this seems like a slightly different take on the story.

• Like 1

Honestly... this movie deserves a bit more credit than it got. It's not up there with Jungle Book/Cinderella as the "great" live-action adaptations, or maybe even Aladdin as one of the "genuinely good ones". But it was WAY better than the first, and actually pretty enjoyable for an hour and a half. The final act was a hell of a lot of fun.